Some guys have all the luck

I apologize for the bad 80s song reference. I have a problem, I know.

We've all got that friend or someone we know who is just a hot mess and has terrible luck. My cleaning lady has the worst luck out of anyone I know. The first time she was supposed to come clean my house, she got in a car accident on the way there. The second time, her stepdad died that morning and she had to cancel on me last minute. She got sun poisoning once. She stepped on a nail on her way out the door and couldn't work for 2 weeks. The latest is I sent her an email complaining that this last time was not up to snuff and she finally wrote me back 3 weeks later telling me that she got a computer virus and it wiped out her customer database and address book, so she didn't see my email until now. This is all since January.

... either that or she's completely full of crap and has a drinking problem which makes it difficult for her to get to my house to clean it. I actually strongly suspect this one.

I want a cleaning lady. :(

My money is on drinking problem. I get that bad things happen to some people a lot more than others, but all on the days she's supposed to clean your house? Don't buy it. I had an employee once who always got sick or had car problems on the first Tuesday of the month (tax foreclosure auctions downtown.)

Yeah, I don't really buy it. The issue is that she actually does a good job when she comes, her price is very fair, and I find her more trustworthy than a franchise agency, because she's the company owner, so if something went missing, I know who it was. I think she's a total liar, but I don't think she'd steal, if that makes any sense. And she's actually licensed, bonded and insured. I think the issue is that her husband has a good job so she doesn't HAVE to work, but she does to keep busy because they don't have kids. (Oh, but they have animals. I forgot about the time she had to come late because she had to take her dying cat to the emergency vet.) But since she doesn't have to work, if she doesn't feel like working that day, she just comes up with an excuse and comes later in the week.

I asked her to switch to Wednesday mornings instead of Monday mornings to see if that would help her luck. I think she got the message that I'm calling BS on her excuses. Pretty sure she hates my guts now, because I did tell her if she no-showed on me last minute again I was finding another agency that would actually show up reliably. So I think the no response for 3 weeks was her cooling off after receiving my initial email. She claimed she switched to new products that weren't doing as good of a job. But this next time she's doing it for half price. Just clean my dang house, lady.

Side note, having a cleaning lady is amazing. My mom got snotty with me about how she lamented my inability to clean properly. I told her I went to college and got a degree so I could hire someone to do it for me. Hoo boy did I hear it. If you both work, I think the expense is totally justified because who the hell has TIME?!?!

I've got a few more friends that are trainwrecks, but I want to hear about yours.

Everyone has **** happen, and everyone deals with it differently.

In the last 2 years, I've had quite a few things happen to me, and it did delay some of the things I was working on, but I adapted, overcame, and am getting things done. Being organized and having a grasp on the world instead of reacting tends to minimize the effects of "bad luck".

I want a cleaning lady. :(

My money is on drinking problem. I get that bad things happen to some people a lot more than others, but all on the days she's supposed to clean your house? Don't buy it. I had an employee once who always got sick or had car problems on the first Tuesday of the month (tax foreclosure auctions downtown.)

Yeah. Plus, people with substance abuse problems tend to have crap luck for some reason.

Well to be fair, business is business and if she isn't working out for you, I would look for someone else. It is nothing personal. Back in the good old days when I used a cleaning service, I went through 6 different people until my wife and I found someone we were content with and we kept that person until we can no longer afford a cleaning staff.

It didn't hurt the situation that she was a hot young filipino lady either.

I'm still addressing this concept as it applies to me, BTW. My therapist has called in sick the past 2 weeks, though. NOT MY FAULT.

Seriously, I'm getting the point lately that I don't really deal with any more **** than anyone else, I just tended to focus on and whine about it more than the average person. TELL PAULINE HER **** IS NONE OF YOUR CONCERN. And yell at her like that, too. That should do the trick.

ALSO:

This is a great point-- I know some people who take a down turn as a challenge of sorts-- they have their day or two of depression, but then power on through the problem and usually turn out in a better place. Other people, just shut down and are set back in life, and as a result, are knocked back even further by the next problem.

My mom is like that. She's just so buried in **** and so it just makes the next disaster that happens even worse. She refuses to do anything to help herself be in a better place, and the rest of us are exhausted from stepping in to save her, only to have her just not do anything once we leave and having another disaster crop up soon thereafter. I love her but I'm done. She's a bad investment from an energy standpoint.

heh. in the last two weeks: I've had my groceries run over by some rude driver, been locked out of my house for 8 hours, had a kid barf and sympathetic barf came right out, the screws in my replacement deadbolt were too long so I had to do an elaborate bike lock and chain thing so I could lock my house until I could be home for replacement installation for a week, been clawed in the face by my cat and had to go to the emergency room and lastly I made a mistake and forgot to set the bill pay on the credit card for the first time in two years and they charged me 20.99% interest PLUS a fee.

But you know what? I'm still grateful for the things I have. I think Chalc has it way worse than me and based on her recent post she's still alright but it does put everything in perspective. The only thing not forgiven is Bob for clawing the crap out of me.

This is a great point-- I know some people who take a down turn as a challenge of sorts-- they have their day or two of depression, but then power on through the problem and usually turn out in a better place. Other people, just shut down and are set back in life, and as a result, are knocked back even further by the next problem.

I've been on both ends of the spectrum. Trying to not revert to being the victim is something I deal with constantly. Some weird personality quirk where the locus of control drifts beyond my grasp. Human beings, at least this particular one, seem to have some strange, subtle flaws. Fortunately, I am aware of it and I manage it. Learning how to control my anxiety and how I react to stimuli has drastically improved my life.

Case in point, I am in an air cast for 4 more weeks. I don't gripe about it, I don't mention it, I just wear the boot and go about my life. Early 20s Burt might have gotten a little whiny about it. That said, I think there's a difference in airing out problems (see Pills thread) and not dealing well with things. The tough guy silent approach can be as equally disastrous as the whiny bad luck person.

Drunk cleaning lady canceled on me again this morning. Said she hurt her back yesterday (so why no email yesterday) and will be having surgery tomorrow, so she can't reschedule for 3 or so weeks. Said she expected I would probably go with another company.

Glad I stayed up late and was late to work this morning clearing surfaces and stripping beds for her drunk ass.

DANA, exactly. Also because I told her if she did this again I would find someone new. And I think she realized that cleaning my house for half-price this time wasn't worth it.

why are you cleaning for your cleaning lady?

My husband says the same thing because he grew up in Southern California, too. This is going to sound horribly racist, but you Southern Californians get Mexicans who will do ANYTHING as long as you pay them. White women will find every excuse not to do anything and expect to be paid well for it. My parents cleaning ladies (in Chicago, it's Polish cleaning ladies) would vacuum around things on the ground. So I pick up toys off of the ground and make sure everything is put into drawers or boxes and shoved into closets. I would kill for a Mexican cleaning lady!

Pong, finding someone is the worst part. They all want to come see your house to give an estimate, and that means working from home that entire day because of the freaking parking situation here. Hence why I've been so "patient". Not to mention my husband and kids will come home and trash the place tonight. I had to park Quinn in front of the TV all last night so she wouldn't mess up everything I did to clean up the night before!

DANA, exactly. Also because I told her if she did this again I would find someone new. And I think she realized that cleaning my house for half-price this time wasn't worth it.

why are you cleaning for your cleaning lady?

My husband says the same thing because he grew up in Southern California, too. This is going to sound horribly racist, but you Southern Californians get Mexicans who will do ANYTHING as long as you pay them. White women will find every excuse not to do anything and expect to be paid well for it. My parents cleaning ladies (in Chicago, it's Polish cleaning ladies) would vacuum around things on the ground. So I pick up toys off of the ground and make sure everything is put into drawers or boxes and shoved into closets. I would kill for a Mexican cleaning lady!

I'm from the Pacific NW and I don't have a cleaning lady, so NYEAH.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.