6 degrees of Nightly

Sometimes I forget that I know some of you from Nightly (because it's been so damn long now), and when I see you comment on someone's status it freaks me out for a minute. Then I remember that both of you are from Nightly. :shrug:

This does happen to my real life people though.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that there was a person from Indianapolis on the Biggest Loser a few years ago that (I think) JC and/or Six knew, and my uncle worked with them at one point or another.

I often wonder if I've ever interacted with or had friends that have interacted with James Madison. I can't remember where in the state he was, but if it was the Indy area we're bound to have some contact in common (through law/school/law offices). If I recall correctly he was a Notre Dame grad? Maybe just a fan. Could be making that up entirely. I have a few friends (via older relatives) who graduated from there undergrad and law school so that's another possibility.

Sometimes I'll mistake a NN-friend on facebook for an IRL friend and see another NN-friend has liked/commented on it and I'll momentarily freak out and do a double take.

I bet anything this happens without our knowledge too. Like in Lost. Maybe the cop who gave you a ticket last week is the long lost college love of your best friend. You've spent drunk weekends trying to distract her from thinking about the guy and ... You spent 10 minutes with him not knowing it.

It used to crack me up when people would complain how a Lost character could see someone on the island they'd shared a drink with years ago and not necognize them. We converse with hundreds of strangers a year. We'll remember what none of them look like years later.

I was at Barnes and Nobles once and this man in his early 60s sat near me with his wife. I had a brief friendly conversation with him about the weather. While talking to him I had no sense I had ever seen him before.

An hour later I realized he'd taught me a semester of trig in college a decade earlier. I'd spent 6 hours a week with him for 14 weeks or so and it took me an hour to remember him. So, there's little reason to believe you'd remember a ten minute convo with some random stranger if you run into them again.

Point being, I bet there are even more nightly connections than we're aware of.

Nightly has invaded my real life. Turns out Pong and one of my sorority sisters from Florida have a mutual friend on Facebook. I quit the internets.

Anyone else have this happen to them? I also used to randomly run into Mara Jade Skywalker while out in Orlando.

This happens with fandom stuff a lot. I didn't really venture outside of Nightly in my early days of the internet, so now that I post on Twitter/run a blog/post on TFN, it's crazy to see how everyone is all connected and knows so-and-so. I've met some people in SW fandom who were involved with Sith Chicks and fanfic, and they know old-time posters like Crysta Novelli and Angela Jade. In fact, one of my closest friends gave me the link to Angela Jade's fanfic, which I thought had been lost forever!

Also, Lady P is Facebook friends with a friend of mine from high school. They're both involved in fandom stuff and have similar interests in social causes, so it was kind of obvious that they'd eventually friend each other. But at the time I did a double take and said wait, how does Celeste know Emily???

Whatever happened to Rayeleigh? I used to talk to her outside of nightly. She helped me with a school project!

I HOPE she's well. I know she had some serious medical issues. It was the backs of her hands that changed nightly forever.

The beginning of something great. What was the first alter ego nightly website? I know subverse was around off and on but wasn't there one before that opened the doors of nightly nudity? Daily.net? I have no idea.

it was alter-night first... which was truly fun and amazing... the content got way to racy and there was an implosion after I incited everyone to chose one of two sides and the owner, MrLives, went into a panic.

Subverse was Krawlie and Ericka's replacement which also had some great times.

Nightly has invaded my real life. Turns out Pong and one of my sorority sisters from Florida have a mutual friend on Facebook. I quit the internets.

Anyone else have this happen to them? I also used to randomly run into Mara Jade Skywalker while out in Orlando.

This happens with fandom stuff a lot. I didn't really venture outside of Nightly in my early days of the internet, so now that I post on Twitter/run a blog/post on TFN, it's crazy to see how everyone is all connected and knows so-and-so. I've met some people in SW fandom who were involved with Sith Chicks and fanfic, and they know old-time posters like Crysta Novelli and Angela Jade. In fact, one of my closest friends gave me the link to Angela Jade's fanfic, which I thought had been lost forever!

Also, Lady P is Facebook friends with a friend of mine from high school. They're both involved in fandom stuff and have similar interests in social causes, so it was kind of obvious that they'd eventually friend each other. But at the time I did a double take and said wait, how does Celeste know Emily???

I hear you on common interests. But I have no idea how Pong shares a mutual friend with Stephanie. She grew up in Arizona, went to undergrad in Florida with me, and currently lives in Maryland. She has a Ph.D in astrophysics, but in the evenings she teaches Zumba and salsa dances. Someone please tell me how that in any way connects to Pong. (Because imagining Pong salsa dancing is hilarious.)

It actually does amaze me what a small world it is sometimes. Out here occasionally I'll talk to people who went to college with a high school friend (Microsoft is a small world). Or I have 2 groups of mom friends and occasionally one of them knows each other from someplace random like a pregnancy class at the further-away hospital. Or one of the moms in my fitness class was my husband's manager's secretary. Having kids made me realize just how small the world is, because it seems like all the moms know each other somehow.

That said, anytime someone asks me if I know someone at work, the answer is never yes (30,000 people working at the same site). Unless I know their kid.

But who was Rayeleigh and what do the backs of her hands have to do with anything? lol

A Lando regular who posted a topless pic, but held her breasts so you couldn't really see anything.

THT (rightfully) questioned where the SFW line with an increasingly debauched Lando was and briefly became public enemy #1 as JA went into crackdown mode.

alternight was quickly thrown together by the teenage, boner-raging Mr Lives to be an alternative place and was the first time the Landi crowd went uncensored. Like I said-- was great for a time but got really out of hand and imploded.

Yeah, Alternight was really lightning in a bottle. We tried to duplicate it with the Subverse and while it did have its moments, it definitely didn't compare.

But Jesus, Alternight was over a decade ago. THINK ABOUT THAT.

I... it.. whut

ow

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.