Turning down a job

Burt

Burt, the selling out is mostly because I don't find the management work very stimulating. It feels like boring busy work. The technical path us much more stimulating to me, but we just got notified that they gave our jobs to someone in another state that I really have no desire to move to (nor did they offer to move us), so I will probably have to find other work to do (that I also don't find as stimulating). We'll see if it sticks, I'm actually predicting it to be a disaster, and hopefully the work comes back. Things will come to a head in 2016 when our union negotiates the next contract. The other thing about management is it will mean more pay but many more hours, and my work-life balance will be a joke. My company thinks they own you when you are in management. Basically the only benefit would be to stroke my ego and feel like I'm important bossing people around.

• 3 weeks later...

I got an interview for the management prep job. The hiring manager really likes me, so there's that. From calendar diving, there's 2-3 other candidiates, one of whom is the guy who is "acting" in the role. But I don't think he has any formal leadership experience like I do, so it seems like a toss up. Guess we'll see how badly I choke tomorrow.

I sold out too. I took a job with an engineering firm. I had interviews with four companies, and got one job offer so the decision was kind of made for me. It pays about $10k better than the next best job, so I'm pretty happy with it. Supervisor is great too.

Good luck on your interview!

What do you do, Burt? Are you a non-engineer at an engineering firm?

At this point, if I get the job, I will probably take it. The next promotion on my current job path after this one will be almost impossible to get without a higher degree, and I just don't know if I'm going to have time with 2 kids. Should've gotten it done beforehand. But I have to knock off the "acting" guy (who is a doosh so I don't feel too bad), so I'm really going to have to knock their socks off. I think I should know by the end of the week, I'm the last interview and the managers meet Wednesday.

What do you do, Burt? Are you a non-engineer at an engineering firm?

At this point, if I get the job, I will probably take it. The next promotion on my current job path after this one will be almost impossible to get without a higher degree, and I just don't know if I'm going to have time with 2 kids. Should've gotten it done beforehand. But I have to knock off the "acting" guy (who is a doosh so I don't feel too bad), so I'm really going to have to knock their socks off. I think I should know by the end of the week, I'm the last interview and the managers meet Wednesday.

I'm a biologist/environmental scientist. I mostly assess impacts of projects and help them mediate. So, when a pipeline is built I go and do a survey to create an inventory of what species and habitats are there. The client can than preserve/create similar habitat elsewhere.

I can understand the bit about the higher degree. I can't imagine getting my PhD with a family. I don't know many who really have, come to think of it. In hindsight, I should have skipped a Master's and just gone straight to PhD.

Sorry dude. If it makes you feel any better, I found out today (first day back from "vacation") that I didn't get the super supervisor job, either. They weren't willing to piss off the acting guy. The hiring manager actually delayed the announcement and called me personally to tell me I didn't get it but that he was really glad I interviewed and to please apply for any openings under him. I think he actually wanted me to get it but the management team wasn't willing to upset the other guy.

Also, today my new manager approached me about one of the other supervisors leaving and asking if I would take it. Upper management also asked him to ask if I would do it. Sigh. I told him I'd apply but encouraged him to look at other applicants who are interested in a management role.

But there goes my perfect record for interviews. Oh well, had to lose at some point. I asked the hiring manager for feedback on how to do better next time. In the meantime, applied to 2 more jobs that my former manager told me about.

Bummer. In my experience, coming just short like that often leads to a big leap. I had an interviewer refer me to someone else, so even though I didn't get that job, the experience got me *a* job. Sounds like you're in a similar position, which is at the very least a draw (certainly not a loss).

• 4 weeks later...

One month into my new job, my dream company offers me a research position. Agonizing and torn on whether to stay or go. Both jobs are good, kind of a non-problem problem. The choice is

1. Stability, research, career fulfillment, lower salary.

2. Not so stable, regulatory, somewhat fulfilling, very lucrative.

I kind of wish they just hadn't called at all. Leaving a job a month in when the company is prepared to invest training and career development on me feels foolish. Doing a job for the money seems shallow.

Yall ever dealt with this? What did you do?

I had two job offers at the same time. Dream job made significantly less. I took it.

It worked out well personally, but professionally I really wish I had gone the other route.

Its about $12k, so nothing to sniff at. In ten years with promotions, the difference could be $20-30k.

Not enough to be a huge deal, but enough to miss, at least for now. Later, the salary difference is much greater.

I was kind of put on the spot, given a 24-hr window more or less. I told them I was interested (not the same as accepting, long process), but I want to be certain by tomorrow.

I am not in debt, but money is pretty great all the same. Again, it boils down to fulfilling conservation ideals or being paid more. Tough one. Basically, I am deciding what I am doing for the next 5-10 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.