Deadbolts. THE POLL.

Ms. Spam

In honor of voting time and because I seriously need to know:

Can you home owners tell me what kind of deadbolt lock you have? Is it Kwikset or Schlage or what? Do you have issues with it?

In my fight to keep cheap I am installing my own deadbolt lock but I don't ever want to go through what I went through on Sunday again when my key snapped in the lock and I was locked out of my condo for 7 hours because 165$ is too much to pay to drill out a lock. (but now I see why many people pay for it.)

Would you ever consider one of those weird keyless entry types where you use your phone?

Sometimes I wish I was a Jedi so I could do a mindtrick on the lock!

We have a Schlage keyless entry deadbolt with a keypad. Most of my family has these, actually. My dad is one of the top door hardware guys in the country, so we always get the best there is out there. I love it. We can program multiple codes into it, so anybody that might have a reason to be in our house has their own code. It's especially easy for us to call a neighbor to check on the house or cats at the last minute because we don't need to make sure they have a key or anything. Plus, everybody in my family has their own codes to everybody else's house.

Btw, $165 is way too much to pay someone to drill out a lock. Anyone with a cordless drill can do it. I actually have to do this several times a month for a friend of mine. She doesn't lock herself out regularly or anything. She owns a property preservation company, and mortgage companies pay her to maintain their properties post-foreclosure. She doesn't have a regular contractor on my side of town (not many foreclosures in this area) so I help out when I can.

I drilled for two hours. What the hell did I do wrong? I still haven't replaced the lock. Currently I have a bicycle chain around my front gate when I leave for school. I'm ghetto like that. So far, my cost to get into my door was just the tears and blood from being bitten by mosquitos and a drill bit that I bought for the drill I borrowed plus the twenty bucks I had to give the guy who came out to my house and told me $165 to drill it out or pick it and replace the lock.

I'm tempted to change out the door handle and deadbolt at the same time. it's been hard to find matching deadbolts that are smooth nickle plate. Oddly this thing started over me balking at $165 but if I go the keyless entry route I'll spend close to that for a good unit. In my research apparently some locks get like mine did. No amount of graphite or WD40 or jiggling was going to get the key to go all the in so it could turn the tumblers and unlock my door. It was a brand called Legend that was installed in my condos units. I should have paid attention when it first got hard to turn the lock a few months ago.

Your drill probably wasn't powerful enough. Or the drill bits weren't. Sorry, let me modify my statement. Anyone with a good cordless drill can do it. Nothing purchased outside of a hardware or tool store is likely to get the job done.

We're serious about tools in this house.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.