Movies/Shows that are popular but you just can't relate to them

RamonAtila

Here's my list:

Game of Thrones

I don't know why I can't like this. I just don't. Feels like the people who'd like this would use the word 'epic' a lot. Everything's gotta be epic. I missed that movement...and I didn't go to UCLA.

The Walking Dead

Too slow for me. I don't know why I care about these people.

Guardians of the Galaxy

I was a 90's kid. This movie to me feels like it would appeal more to 80's kids. I don't like the clunky costumes and weapons. It feels weird to me that a big budget movie would look like it has low budget props.

The Avengers

I loved the Iron Man movie, loved the Captain America movie. Love Mark Ruffalo as Hulk and Sam Jackson as Fury. But even though they got him perfect I don't like Thor. I hate Loki and guys that remind me of Loki in real life. And I hate Scarlett Johansen.

Do you have any? What's your list?

I second the Game Of Thrones. I bailed after season 2 because I got tired of them not playing by TV rules.

Not into The Walking Dead because zombies suck. I have no doubt its well made for its genre, just don't like the genre.

Big Bang Theory: Just not into sitcoms.

Dr. Who: Don't really feel like catching up on 50 seasons to know what the fuck is going on.

Dr. Who is the big one for me. I've only seen a bit of it, but it made me tilt my head and go "huh??"

I don't really care for epic fantasy, either. I liked the Lord of the Rings movies but the first Hobbit bored me to tears. Never read/seen Game of Thrones and don't have any desire to, either.

Thankfully Tumblr is around to help me understand the pop culture references I'm missing out on.

Ah, don't get me wrong, not having a go at all.

But for me, Game of Thrones is full of intrigue, lots of backstabbing and politics in it. The characters are nicely drawn out and you can kind of picture some of them in historical events - there has been mention of the War of the Roses, between the royal families competing for throne in the 15th century as being an influence of the family fueds and I like all that stuff! :-)

Walking dead certainly has its slow moments over the 4 and a bit series so far, but it more than makes up for it with certain storylines. It's developed to a point where it's always the first thing I watch out of anything recorded.

Now, you may have guessed that I am English, so I like my Dr Who! It's a quirky show, but so much in there. If you don't like one cast lineup, it will be mixed up in a few years time. Each actor in the title role brings something new into it, and you have your favourites. But hey - I grew up with that on when I was a kid in the early 80's, and I still find myself getting caught up in it all, especially with the events since the anniversary show last November. I don't think you need to know all the history. It's a chap who ran away from home in his stolen ship - he picks up companions on the way and basically arrives in a place, jump in and try's to help (with varying results - Caves of Androzani is one of the best stories from the original run, but the results of his interference are questionable), and then heads off before anyone asks too many questions.

As I say, if we all liked it disliked the same stuff, how rubbish would that be! Totally respect all of your opinions people!

There are some I HAVE NOT watched because I was sure I would hate, but recent recommendations from people who's opinions I really trust really opened my eyes. I never expected these shows to be what I'm being told about them:

-Sons of Anarchy

-House of Cards

-Dr. Who

to name a few....

Guest El Chalupacabra

I agree with all the following...

Big Bang Theory: Just not into sitcoms.

Dr. Who: Don't really feel like catching up on 50 seasons to know what the **** is going on.

BIG BANG THEORY

Scandal

Survivor

all the pop-idol manufacturing concerns

Big Bang Theory

Two and a Half Men

Man of Steel

The Simpsons

The Voice

Harry Potter

The Hunger Games

Twilight

NCIS

Two and a Half Men

Dr. Who

I liked the Simpsons in the 80s-early 90s, but why is it still on, now? Add Family guy to that list, too.

I can't stand any reality TV...from Ice Road truckers, to survivor, to Kardashians to American Idol or whatever. I feel like I lose 50 IQ points just being in the same building as any TV, tablet, or PC playing any of those.

Also, House of Cards...I am sure that is how Washington works, which is depressing. There are no redeemable or relate-able characters. None!

Orange is the New Black is another one I don't get. Not funny to me, at all.

There's a difference between "reality show" and "competition show". I hate when the two are lumped together like they're the same thing. Would you call The Price Is Right a reality show? Of course not. But the only difference between that and Survivor is petty details.

It's fine to hate them both, but personally I like competition shows and hate reality shows.

Ah, don't get me wrong, not having a go at all.

Now, you may have guessed that I am English

As I say, if we all liked it disliked the same stuff, how rubbish would that be!

Sooo, you guys REALLY talk like this over there? Like ALL the time?

Like totally! :-)

There's a difference between "reality show" and "competition show". I hate when the two are lumped together like they're the same thing. Would you call The Price Is Right a reality show? Of course not. But the only difference between that and Survivor is petty details.

It's fine to hate them both, but personally I like competition shows and hate reality shows.

Agreed. I don't really care for any of them tbh. But I've enjoyed more competition shows than reality. Especially if the competition showcases genuine talent.

Dr. Who: Don't really feel like catching up on 50 seasons to know what the **** is going on.

I know you aren't easily swayed-- but technically you don't have to catch up. When they relaunched the series after almost a decade break in 2005 they made it pretty accessible for everyone. There's nods to older storylines, and the continuity is continuous, but they approached everything from that point as new, and anything revisited was either a subtle wink, or was explained. Everything from that point forward save for the current season is on Netflix streaming.

And if the 9 seasons since then are still too much, you can technically jump in any time a new Doctor takes over as the show often restarts storylines and shifts in tone along with him.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.