Got Political Apathy? I do!

Guest El Chalupacabra

LK, I agree with basically all that. I never said that the new divisions are any less relevant, just that they aren't rooted in fundamental cultural differences, but rather these minute, superficial cracks which are exploited by parties (and the media) alike.

Interestingly, however, that got me thinking- over time, what this could do is create a new "type" of cultural difference, that may not be rooted in language, accent, cuisine, holidays, dress, or any other "traditional" cultural aspect- but rooted in a new difference- that of solely political disagreement over 2-3 issues. And then, interestingly, over time people may choose to re-locate geographically based on that difference (the "big sort" theory that pong alluded to- go google it, it's fascinating), and you would, in effect, create the "mini-countries" that Pong was talking about. Those mini-countries, to a visitor, would look all superficially the same, but would mask an intense division over just 2-3 political issues that people are willing to fight over. I'm not sure that's ever quite happened in history.

I don't think we're there quite yet, but I could see it happening in a generation if polarization doesn't reverse back to normal levels.

So in effect, Pong may be "right" in a sense, but I think he has the casualty backwards. It's not that mini-countries is what is driving division, but the division created by other factors (24/7 news media, internet, etc) is what is driving us into mini-countries.

So in effect, Pong may be "right" in a sense, but I think he has the casualty backwards. It's not that mini-countries is what is driving division, but the division created by other factors (24/7 news media, internet, etc) is what is driving us into mini-countries.

Oh, no -- I subscribe to the "big sort" theory to an extent, where people are driven/self-sorted in to their little enclaves, rather than the mini-countries themselves creating the division.

Too lazy to read over the entire thread, but I think I actually agree with everything you are saying.

:eek:

I've definitely become more hippie since moving to Seattle. My parents think I'm going to join a commune.

Spam, I also voted this week. Just about anytime I saw a GOP candidate, my first thought was, "Not gonna win no matter how bad the incumbent is or how good their ideas are".

Which is a damn shame. Generally speaking, Republican candidates in the Pacific NW aren't wingnuts so much as they are Democrats who don't automatically hate all private business bigger than a mom n' pop deli or support public unions and environmental causes no matter how ridiculous, restrictive, and unsustainable the demands may be.

The Governor's race here is hilarious. Got a lame retread Democrat with scandalous headlines blaring all week, and I think he stayed the same or even went up in the polls. Granted, the challenger is lame, too, but I'm pretty sure you could win elections here simply by placing a kumquat on a chair with a "D" in front of it.

:eek:

Here in Texas it was about Wendy Davis the abortion loving liberal democrat vs a GOP more of the same wheelchair bound dude. I voted Democrat. Go Wendy Davis. On the otherhand, I voted GOP for local judges and district attorney and threw in some votes for the Green Party occasionally because what the hell, what does a justice of the peace do anyways.

Regarding any kind of "big sort" what I wonder is whether people will move into areas where like minded people live simply to be around similar types of people, or do the factors that drive people to live in geographically similar areas ALSO drive people to have similar types of views on social and political issues?

What makes me politically apathetic is the same old story of crazy right-wing anti-abortion bible thumpers versus crazy left-wing treehuggers that want us eating vegan and our kids on leashes. It's so cut and narrow.

Regarding any kind of "big sort" what I wonder is whether people will move into areas where like minded people live simply to be around similar types of people, or do the factors that drive people to live in geographically similar areas ALSO drive people to have similar types of views on social and political issues?

The second one! People wanna fit in and sell out so fast!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.