Tonight's Treehouse of Horror

RamonAtila

I get ridiculed or ostracized for a lot of what I write here on nightly, so I'm just gonna start off by saying you don't have to reply to this topic. I already imagine all the things I'm gonna be told abut what I'm gonna say so don't bother. I just couldn't help myself. I had to mention what's on my mind.

Could tonight's Simpsons/Treehouse of Horror have been racist? The scene where Homer's in the living room and all the channels on tv play Married With Children. He flips through the channels and they go through various takes on Married With Children.

He flips through several channels of the show, and on one channel there's a variation where the Married With Children characters are black and THAT ONE had was 'nominated for so many Emmy's'. Was this The Simpsons writers' cynicism towards black shows? What is the humor in pointing out that Married With Children could have so many parodies but the African American version is the one that is critically praised? What is the joke in that besides the aweful thing I'm thinking in my head? I know The Simpsons writers have pretty much been Harvard alum since the beginning so I don't expect them to be 100% in touch with my life but this joke tonight just rubbed me the wrong way.

The Simpsons has been really apologetic to minorities in its history and I thought that was unnecessary, but that's stopped for a while now and tonight's episode to me has been a hint that it may even be going the other way. That's just my opinion.

I thought that particular channel was BET and the slug read "Nominated for [n] BET Awards". I could be wrong, and I'm not sure if that makes a difference anyway.

We found plenty not to laugh at in this episode, so it's tough for me to single out just one gag as Most Annoying. It was interesting to be able to explain to my wife the five Kubrick movies whose homages I recognized in the middle segment, but most of those were more instances where "pop culture reference" and "joke" weren't quite synonymous.

I agree with the jokes not really being synonymous with the references in all three segments.

But to elaborate on my original post, I feel like if I had seen the joke on Family Guy I would've not even given it a second thought or even notice. But The Simpsons (or even South Park) definitely.

I haven't seen it, but depending on what exactly it said (Emmy vs. BET) it's either racist or just not funny. Of the two, I think that the second is worse, and probably where it fell. Poking fun at BET is so 15 years ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.