It's Columbus Day! Does it make you angry?

Pong Messiah

Columbus Day barely counts as a holiday. Seriously - does anyone other than the post office get the day off? I worked, I was able to go to the bank, I saw school busses full of children. If not for the whiners I wouldn't even know that it was Columbus Day.

Guest El Chalupacabra

All federal and state employees I know had the day off. Most schools around here. Colleges closed too. Even when I worked somewhere with a very generous vacation policy, Columbus Day was one I never got off though. Where is the justice in this world?!

That varies from state to state, though. City, county, and state and higher education employees had to work, where I live. Basically, we celebrate MLK day, and since there can only be "x" amount of paid holidays per year, Columbus day got the boot.

b/c we were still having a tiff with England at the time, so he was chosen as the intrepid hero of our story, rather than one of their many explorers. It was a conscious decision about shaping our national identity, about setting us apart from mom and dad.

Kind of like a teenager getting a septum ring to stick it to their stuffy folks, only instead of looking back and laughing at our silly choice after college, we held onto it for hundreds of years and named our capital after him. That's why I'm proud to be an American.

But it didn't become a federal holiday until the 1930s. Not to mention, nowadays, people of British ancestry in the US are by far in the minority, being somewhere between 13 and 23 percent, depending on the source you cite (and even then, that's if you count people of Welsh, English, Northern Ireland, and Scottish ancestry). So, in that light, it makes even less sense to me to have a Columbus day at all.

But it didn't become a federal holiday until the 1930s. Not to mention, nowadays, people of British ancestry in the US are by far in the minority, being somewhere between 13 and 23 percent, depending on the source you cite (and even then, that's if you count people of Welsh, English, Northern Ireland, and Scottish ancestry). So, in that light, it makes even less sense to me to have a Columbus day at all.

See "instead of looking back and laughing at our silly choice after college, we held onto it for hundreds of years and named our capital after him."

America. If this doesn't make sense to you, maybe it's time you move to Canada!

How does one even celebrate Columbus Day? Do you just walk into your neighbors house and take whatever you want before claiming it to be your second home?

I've read some variation on this at least three times already today. You fail.

The fact that his comment is sickening just makes it even more appropriate.

Probably because nobody bought the album and Cooper himself says he was so wasted at the time, he doesn't even remember recording it.

A shame, because it's one of the better concept albums out there -- and the only one I can think of where familial love is defined by bringing fresh victims to your mute, cannibal uncle who is chained in the attic with nothing but a TV blaring The People's Court and The A-Team at all times... or something.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.