The Walking Dead Season 5

Lucas1138

I think also a good point is that Rick is now a Police officer again. If he came across a guy like that in the course of his job before the end of the world he would have arrested him and took him down town to face the consequences and probably jail. Maybe give him a kicking on the ride in if he had any particular feelings for the girl involved.

However in this new apocalypse there are no laws and no judicial systems and no jails. They could make a jail I suppose but that's a drain on resources.

I think Rick is clear in his mind that the only justice for criminals in this world is death. They can't be exiled or cast out for fear of reprisals. There are no alternate punishments. His recent experience tells him that.

I think the group understands this to an extent. But Rick needs the whole town to understand or he fears they won't be strong enough to survive. He's also probably sick of carrying the burden alone.

You're also seeing a scale of morals here. Rick will kill people he thinks deserve it, or have compromised their authority. But Glen isn't willing to go that far. Carol is willing to go way dark. The scale is what makes it interesting.

Totally unverifiable thing I saw on imgur today: Glenn hasn't killed a human in the entire run of TWD.

I think also a good point is that Rick is now a Police officer again. If he came across a guy like that in the course of his job before the end of the world he would have arrested him and took him down town to face the consequences and probably jail. Maybe give him a kicking on the ride in if he had any particular feelings for the girl involved.

However in this new apocalypse there are no laws and no judicial systems and no jails. They could make a jail I suppose but that's a drain on resources.

I think Rick is clear in his mind that the only justice for criminals in this world is death. They can't be exiled or cast out for fear of reprisals. There are no alternate punishments. His recent experience tells him that.

I think the group understands this to an extent. But Rick needs the whole town to understand or he fears they won't be strong enough to survive. He's also probably sick of carrying the burden alone.

Rick was not acting like a cop. He was obsessed with a married woman and already generated hate toward Pete long before Carol shared her suspicions with him. Regarding the group and their understanding, Glenn still sees things through a different lens, as he spared Nicholas' life after causing Noah's death, and attempted murder. The Rick way is to kill first, and barely give thought to it all.

I think we're agreeing with each other to an extent Justus.

I believe you've summed rick up to a tee so far. But I also agree with Driver that he was walking a line and the series finale showed a mini-redemption for Rick after he spoke to his son. I think Rick made a choice not to kill innocents. But whether that will last is another thing. Like you mentioned, it seems it could now bring him in to conflict with Morgan after his Talking Dead appearance (It got shown in the UK for the first time).

My opinion is that the imagery of the police officer walking the beat again was deliberate to show that Rick is now doling out his own kind of justice. And that is death like I said above. He was definitely after that married woman and I firmly believe he was going to 'take' her when he took the town by force.

You're also seeing a scale of morals here. Rick will kill people he thinks deserve it, or have compromised their authority. But Glen isn't willing to go that far. Carol is willing to go way dark. The scale is what makes it interesting.

Totally unverifiable thing I saw on imgur today: Glenn hasn't killed a human in the entire run of TWD.

Boy, season four looks like it was a bloodbath.

Even more when you consider that Terminus arc was wrapped up in the first few episodes of season 5.

By the way, one of our local channels is playing one TWD episode per night I think and I randomly happened to come across "Tell it to the Frogs," the one where Andrea/Carol and other random characters are washing their clothes in the quarry, Ed hits Carol and Shane beats the hell out of Ed.

Man. Melissa McBride/Carol. What a transformation!

Even more when you consider that Terminus arc was wrapped up in the first few episodes of season 5.

By the way, one of our local channels is playing one TWD episode per night I think and I randomly happened to come across "Tell it to the Frogs," the one where Andrea/Carol and other random characters are washing their clothes in the quarry, Ed hits Carol and Shane beats the hell out of Ed.

Man. Melissa McBride/Carol. What a transformation!

Just think: Carol was intended to die in season three's "Killer Within" (T-Dog took her place) and we would have been robbed of the great development and her influence on significant parts of the series. There's not many TWD characters as compelling as Carol.

I keep saying it-- but Carol is the Andrea of the TV show. Andrea had a similar arc in the comics and has been amazing-- Andrea on TV. Ehhhhh. So glad they pushed the far more interesting Carol into the role of the meek that turns hardcore.

All that is utterly fascinating. :thumbsup:

Neal from Once Upon a Time was in season 2? Totally don't remember

Cannot compute that Beth and Shane killed the same number of humans.

And I love how the end of the page just turns them into a deck of sports trading cards.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I never hated (or hate-watched) the show, just missed several weeks for some reason, and when it came time to catch up on the missed episodes, couldn't be bothered to put the time aside. I took that to mean "OK, this series has run its course." But yeah -- the second half of the season was pretty freakin' sweet. Actually looking forward to the season 6 premiere now!

It still has it's moments of course, but they're fewer and farther between I think.

Can you clarify? Do you mean it is good, but less good and good less often now than it was, or do you mean it is less ridiculous/meaningless, but less ridiculous/meaningless now than it was?

I mean less things that make me roll my eyes and want to slam my head on my desk. Like, say, Beth killing Dawn and starting a firefight for no reason. And it's gone a little away from the "aw, here's some touching moments about a character.... here learn more about this character.... HAH CHARACTER IS DEAD!"

Summarized: it was a compliment

I mean less things that make me roll my eyes and want to slam my head on my desk. Like, say, Beth killing Dawn and starting a firefight for no reason. And it's gone a little away from the "aw, here's some touching moments about a character.... here learn more about this character.... HAH CHARACTER IS DEAD!"

Summarized: it was a compliment

Agreed. For example, I hated that Noah died, 'cause he obviously wanted to make a new life in Alexandria, and seeing him learn architecture, etc. would be a good chance for the character grow and change... but at least it served the plot: giving the Nicholas/Glenn dynamic a little more "meat" so to speak. I wasn't rolling my eyes/not caring about it 20 minutes later, and man, did that event make the confrontation in the woods even more intense.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.