The Walking Dead Season 5

Lucas1138

The ASZ cannot last long with its current residents. Too many repeated, scripted lines and manipulative behavior.

Carol never ceases to fascinate me; she will do what is necessary to protect her people, though if you go to other boards, some are painting her as evil, instead of realizing she was using a scare tactic with no teeth. I doubt the producers are going to have her kill a completely innocent child--even for shock/ratings.

When the kid arrived, I did think "don't kill him Carol!!"

She is more than capable of doing it if needed I think. Great scene though, proper scared the crap out of him!

And with Rick having signs of jealousy and reaching for his gun for a second...

What was the 'W' on that walkers forehead? Or was it an 'M'? Morgan is out there somewhere still I guess, and the name of the street behind Rick at the end was called Morgan. Coincidence? Yeah, probably!

Look at this show go! Stringing together decent episodes like that's the point of TV or something. I'm looking forward to some conflict brewing in Alexandria but I am a little concerned they won't opt for the slow burn and we'll get some big blowup and be on to the next thing by the start of the next season. There's still some things there I'd like to see them flesh out.

Gabriel sucks.

Nicholas sucks.

Noah's end was seriously disturbing and haunted me all night. Best comment I've seen, though: "Man, even zombies hate Chris."

Gabriel sucks.

Gabriel super-sucks. When minister characters turn like he has, that's usually when I walk away from a show.

And yet...the worst part is, he wasn't entirely off-base.

Yeah, and besides, the people they killed were cannibals there to murder them! This from the same guy who admitted locking others out of his church to die! Aaaahhh, Gabriel, die in a fire, please.

Self defense is one thing. Butchering people is another. Rick's "didn't want to waste the bullets" line was just a mocking line because it was his intent to hack Gareth to death (as promised in the season premiere). That the others (Michonne, Sasha & Abraham) joined in makes them seem astoundingly vicious, when the captives could have been killed with a single knife or bullet to the head. I'm not a fan of the overboard hatred of Gabriel seen on WD boards (usually, the members have a history of anti-religious posts), so i'm taking his conversation with Deanna as being one of pure fear.

During the video sessions, Glenn thought the group had almost been on the road too long. To Gabriel, he is able to see that with greater clarity than Glenn, since he's not engaged in endless fights with zombies or the living (or so we think). To Gabriel--flawed as he is--there's nothing to justify hacking captives to death, no matter what or who they were.

The Rick / Jessie / Pete storyline seems to be taking an uncomfortable turn toward the Shane / Lori zone. The producers could be taking its own route and throwing audiences with false leads, but Rick is way too hot for Jessie, and with Carol's all-or-nothing suggestion, this cannot go in a level-headed direction.

Can't agree since it boils down to self defense and they've been through one crap situation after another. Saving bullets is a practical thing in their case, never know when you're going to run out on the road! They even let a stranger die because they didn't want to use the ammo to save him last season.

And let's be real here, these guys had just mutilated one of their own and planned to do the same to them...even a baby! From the Governor attack, to Glenn's claiming buddies that were going to kill them, to the cannibals at Terminus who followed them...these were some strung out peeps who just couldn't catch a break!

And now Mr. I'm locking people out of my church to die wants to get judgemental and poison a new friend against them? Oh heck no. Aaaaahhh, Gabriel, fall down an elevator shaft, please.

Yeah, that's the other thing: Gabriel is less than stable. I think he's battling with the simultaneous and paradoxical conflicts of him letting down God and God letting down him. He was the shepherd that locked out his own flock and God was the father that abandoned his children. He's a preacher who is struggling with faith - in God, in himself, and in humanity as a whole.

I agree, I think he's questioning himself, too, and along with seeing what these people have had to do to survive since he met them, he probably isn't thinking too straight. I think individuals like him are still trying to hang onto a world that no longer exists and that's also why Rick and co. are a bit wary around the new crowd they find themselves among. There really isn't one set of laws anymore, the world as it is in the show now is groups of people who make their own rules based on what works for them. When one group runs into another, you get the Governor, the Claimers and the cannibals conflicts.

Rick's crew at this point are just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I agree with Justus.

The road has changed these people. They've become more like the people they fought against originally. Rick wouldn't have condoned what he did to those people in the church two seasons ago when he was trying to build a life for his family at the prison. But the more they have had to survive the more they have had to adapt. They have that ruthless mean streak in them now which means they will punish people who harm their group as they see fit. They will plot to take over the community that has welcomed them with open arms. Tehir dynamic has changed because it had to. They were nearly lunch at the start of this season remember!

Its actually a credit to the show that we've been able to watch the group change and become a different beast entirely. In the show there is no right and wrong. There is just us and them. If you're not with us you're a threat and the group looks at people in that way and probably will forever now.

Yeah, there's no way you could go through all of that and not be changed. They wouldn't have survived if they hadn't adapted. It's now a matter of how far does it go? That's why characters like Michonne wanted to go here so bad. They wanted to slow down (and regress) some of that process. I don't think any of them are naive enough to think they could ever go back to "normal", but I think they were hoping for some happy medium between surviving and civilization.

I agree their time on the road and being attacked has changed who they are as people but I still think they are decent at their cores. Sure, that was pretty brutal when they killed the cannibals but these were the same people who had them lined up to get their throats slit and slaughtered. Then they followed them after they escaped and mutilated one of their own!

I can see a bit of...satisfaction, maybe?...when they beat them to death but I couldn't honesly say it wasn't justified. Rick's crew are survivors and will only kill when threatened. That's what separates them from some of the other nuts they have come across.

Can't agree since it boils down to self defense and they've been through one crap situation after another. Saving bullets is a practical thing in their case, never know when you're going to run out on the road! They even let a stranger die because they didn't want to use the ammo to save him last season.

And let's be real here, these guys had just mutilated one of their own and planned to do the same to them...even a baby! From the Governor attack, to Glenn's claiming buddies that were going to kill them, to the cannibals at Terminus who followed them...these were some strung out peeps who just couldn't catch a break!

And now Mr. I'm locking people out of my church to die wants to get judgemental and poison a new friend against them? Oh heck no. Aaaaahhh, Gabriel, fall down an elevator shaft, please.

It does not matter what they've been through; rationalizing barbarism is the "revenge / anything to survive" approach used by the Governor and Terminus. If killing Gareth and the Termites was the aim, then they had options--and more weapons / ammunition from the guns taken from the captives. Revenge turns you into something else--something inspiring revulsion and shock on the faces of Glenn, Maggie and Tyreese in the church.

All understood they were setting a trap to end the Terminus threat, but butchering anyone is not ending a problem. It magnifies the problem--especially in Rick, who not only would go on to hit Officer Lamson with his car, but coldly executed him after using Gareth's own words to Bob Stookey: "you can't go back, Bob." That says Rick had turned a dark corner, with the church bloodbath being hard evidence of that turn.

Gabriel is dealing with his own demons for his lockout of his flock, but that does not mean he loses the ability to see danger when presented, or prevents him from making moral decisions in the wake of his own act. He's in the process of redemption (in his relationship with God), but he's not entirely wrong in telling Deanna what he believes to be true about a group that just marches from one brutal and/or deadly situation to another, as judge, jury and executioner.

Still have to disagree! Rick and co. don't do what the Governor or the cannibals did. Those were people who went out of their way to kill them, Rick's group only kills when they feel they have to. He did warn Lamson first!

Rick tried to talk things over with the Governor and that went nowhere due to the Gov being a nut. As for the cannibals, these guys had almost slaughtered them like animals and then tracked them down after Rick's people escaped. Yeah, it was revenge but I wouldn't blame them at all. They did set a trpa but that was only because they had mutilated Bob and they were planning on them attacking the church after they "left".

Still have to disagree! Rick and co. don't do what the Governor or the cannibals did. Those were people who went out of their way to kill them, Rick's group only kills when they feel they have to. He did warn Lamson first!

Rick tried to talk things over with the Governor and that went nowhere due to the Gov being a nut. As for the cannibals, these guys had almost slaughtered them like animals and then tracked them down after Rick's people escaped. Yeah, it was revenge but I wouldn't blame them at all. They did set a trpa but that was only because they had mutilated Bob and they were planning on them attacking the church after they "left".

Warning Lamson does not remove Rick's brutal, ends-justifies-the-means worldview, which ended with breaking the man's back with a car, then blow his brains out.

He thought Lamson was a threat. He killed him. He could have raced past Lamson, blocking his way (much like the cops blocked Noah during his fake escape).

The Governor thought the National Guard unit was a threat. He and his forces killed them.

There were alternatives in both situations, but the great finishing hammer of murder removes the "annoying" thought of actually trying to approach new problems with rationality.

The only way Rick still retains that angle of being good is because he's a father. He's doing what I think any father would do to protect his family in his given situation.

Unfortunately his given situation is survival of the fittest and that unfortunately means him making decisions that aren't necessarily morally correct.

Warning Lamson does not remove Rick's brutal, ends-justifies-the-means worldview, which ended with breaking the man's back with a car, then blow his brains out.

He thought Lamson was a threat. He killed him. He could have raced past Lamson, blocking his way (much like the cops blocked Noah during his fake escape).

The Governor thought the National Guard unit was a threat. He and his forces killed them.

There were alternatives in both situations, but the great finishing hammer of murder removes the "annoying" thought of actually trying to approach new problems with rationality.

Rick also didn't know what type of situation he was going to have to deal with with this new group. He did know they held others against their will, which doesn't sound all that accommodating! He had Noah to tell him Lamson was a good guy, but that's not saying much since even the Governor's group had good people and look how that turned out.

Way I see it, Rick is a father trying to not only protect his two kids but his friends. I think he's just tired of trying to work things out with people because it rarely turns out well. He wanted to kill the last of the Terminus people but was voted down, only to have them track his group down and attack them. Rick just doesn't want to leave anything to chance anymore and I certainly don't blame him for it.

Rick has worn out his welcome with me. All Jessie had to do is whisper "yes," and it was Shane all over again. Maybe he needs some alone time in the field. Well, as alone as one can be surrounded by zombies and butchers.

I really like Michonne--she's in control even when dealing with her own internal issues (feeling she was "sleeping" while behind the walls), and does not put up with Sasha's self-absorbed BS. She (Sasha) has lived with others who suffered just as many personal losses (some very violent), but she's spitting at everyone else as though she's an isolated case.

Any predictions on who hitches a ride on Tyreese's spirit-mobile in the 90 minute season finale?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.