The Walking Dead Season 5

Lucas1138

Andrew Lincoln on the second half of season 5 (that's what we're on, right?)

And certainly it's worth saying that episode 9 is one of the great episodes we've ever done. And 10 is the episode I always wanted to make. And then we do something very, very different in the back half, but believe me when I say it comes full circle and I think the back eight is some of the most interesting storytelling we've ever done on this show. It's so exciting to do. It's been scary, but also it's been thrilling because it's so different.

... We also introduce a lot of new characters in this back eight, and Scott and the writers have done a tremendous job of servicing maybe 24 principal characters. It's been an astonishing feat from their end as well. But I do have to say that losing Emily — it was so painful on so many levels. I adore the girl. I think she's amazing. We lost the voice, her song. And after her having such a tremendous episode that she led in in episode 4 to not even get the chance… I mean, I had three or four seconds to act with her and then she was taken away. It's just cruel, this job, man. It's just cruel.

And a hat tip to io9's morning spoilers... I don't think they included a link to where this was from though.

The point of the scene was the nonresponse from the cops. Logically, after Beth got killed, I instantly thought "okay, Dawns a corpse real soon." then she gets killed by Daryl. Then I thought "oh shit, that means the cops are going to open fire!" but they didn't. They backed down, and didn't come to the aid of Dawn because they knew she was a douche. That, and they knew Darryl is immortal and cannot die on walking dead, since the audience told the writers that if they kill him off the show will get cancelled.

I loved how Dawn died.

She was the dark side of self-preservation.

Not a former friend turned unstable usurper

Not a charismatic but delusional boy god

Not a warm and welcoming psychotic cannibal

She was a boring ol' human being scared to the point of allowing horrible things to occur and continue in order to preserve herself. Did she believe her rationalizations? She'd probably like to. But she was just a frightened weakling deep down, and in her own twisted attempts at self-preservation, guaranteed her own death. Her last conversation with Beth made it apparent there was going to be no learning, no hugging for Dawn.

For a show that is often lacking in anything even resembling subtlety, Dawn was a breath of fresh air (not the same as saying I like her character). It's a shame the cop episodes were otherwise so weak and full of inadvertent laughter. Coulda woulda shoulda really done something with that character and her lair.

There was some dumb choices made for sure-- but Beth has always been reactionary and not the brightest, so I totally buy her actions. To me, the biggest dumb mistake was the fact they went INSIDE the hospital for the exchange. Dawn could have had a dozen people pop out behind them. I have a hard time buying Rick going for such an indefensible position.

Do you buy the fact that Beth had been successfully killing moving zombies by stabbing them in the head for well over a year, but the moment she wanted to stab Dawn (who just stared at her), she goes for...the shoulder??

Making Beth forget a learned skill just to give Dawn enough time to react was poor writing. Her death would have sold better if Noah pulled his gun, trying to shoot Dawn (when she demanded his return), Dawn reacts, but Beth pushes him out of the way and takes the bullet. Sure, that kind of death has been used since the silent era, but Hell, it would have served to kill off Beth and make her a hero at the same time. The "I get it" / shoulder stab was a disservice to all that had been developed in the Beth character since 4B.

I dunno why you have to be sold anything.

Beth saved Carol so she's a hero in my book.

...to make her death have meaning,

Saving Carol by administering epinephrine was not the reason she made her suicidal move to be sold a as hero. Carol was saved in an exchange she did not initiate. Beth was supposed to be some sort of heroic sacrifice to end Dawn's twisted rule, but consciously stabbing the shoulder (again, Beth knows how to target heads, and knows what is lethal to the living) only to have her brains blown out makes her action pointless.

At least T-Dog bum rushed the walkers in the corridor to save Carol. That action had a believable, functional purpose.

At least Merle killed off a number of the Governor's top guards, thus leaving a makeshift, weaker group of residents to attack the prison.

Each action had believable, functional purposes, but Beth's attack was not even well thought out, which is the opposite of the character growth seen in season 4B.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Andrew Lincoln on the second half of season 5 (that's what we're on, right?)

And certainly it's worth saying that episode 9 is one of the great episodes we've ever done. And 10 is the episode I always wanted to make. And then we do something very, very different in the back half, but believe me when I say it comes full circle and I think the back eight is some of the most interesting storytelling we've ever done on this show. It's so exciting to do. It's been scary, but also it's been thrilling because it's so different.

... We also introduce a lot of new characters in this back eight, and Scott and the writers have done a tremendous job of servicing maybe 24 principal characters. It's been an astonishing feat from their end as well. But I do have to say that losing Emily — it was so painful on so many levels. I adore the girl. I think she's amazing. We lost the voice, her song. And after her having such a tremendous episode that she led in in episode 4 to not even get the chance… I mean, I had three or four seconds to act with her and then she was taken away. It's just cruel, this job, man. It's just cruel.

And a hat tip to io9's morning spoilers... I don't think they included a link to where this was from though.

All I get out of that is this "Brace yourselves for a mass kill off of existing characters, to make room for new ones, so that we can kill them off at a later date."

I'm genuinely concerned of the lack of attractive females now that Beth is gone. Maggie, although gorgeous in real life, doesn't measure up on the show. Michonne has a rockin bod, but she's too psychopathic and that hair makes her look like the predator. The Spanish chick that follows Abraham around is cute and dresses well, and has sexual experience in the apocalypse, but her character is so dull I can't even bother to remember her name.

I think instead of giving our current ladies more screen time, they should add a new blonde (or possibly redhead) that looks cute and specializes in martial arts to dispatch her zombies. This would obviously bode well for her physique so she will look good, plus add possibilities in terms of new interesting zombie kills.

Oh, hey, if we're drawing up new-character wish lists, I would also like to see the show add a ninja warrior, a pastry chef, a professional dog trainer, three Patton Oswalt clones, and Benedict Cumberbatch playing a super-hero who's clearly smarter and more eloquent and much cleaner than everyone else but dies in ten minutes.

Beth's death ranks above Dale's as being solely for shock value, purely to end the storyline with a death. At least most deaths on TWD don't come off that way. T-Dog's and Lori's deaths were surprising and unexpected, but still followed from the circumstances in which the characters were placed. Beth didn't have to die at all, but I think the producers and writers just decided to give us one because of our expectations and maybe even "tradition". I wasn't even that attached to Beth's character, certainly no more than Maggie seems to have been since the departure from the prison, but if you're going to kill a character off, at least do a better job.

Looking forward to February now.

I think what I was getting at was similar to my earlier point about concealed weapons. I'd like to see the show be brave and not follow the established storytelling format by telegraphing stuff. Why show us Beth picking up and concealing a weapon? Why not leave it to the imagination a little?

I agree that the scene didn't play out well at all. Not just Beth's death, but the whole hospital corridor shenanigans. But I think it would have played out better if I wasn't thinking "Beth's got a pair of scissors in her cast". I was just waiting for that something to happen. Although I didn't expect Beth's death I'll admit. It would have had more 'Wow' factor if they revealed at that point she was hiding something in her cast and not before.

That's just personal preference. I think the show wanted to show that Beth had decided to kill Dawn at the next opportunity. At the time I thought Beth could just be trying to protect herself as she felt vulnerable. But by the time the prisoner exchange happened there was no logical reason for her to kill Dawn because she was back with her family. But I think she flipped a little when she realised that Dawn wanted to continue to manipulate by keeping hold of her former ward. Beth knew what sort of abuse he was returning to and couldn't let it happen.

Oh, hey, if we're drawing up new-character wish lists, I would also like to see the show add a ninja warrior, a pastry chef, a professional dog trainer, three Patton Oswalt clones, and Benedict Cumberbatch playing a super-hero who's clearly smarter and more eloquent and much cleaner than everyone else but dies in ten minutes.

You'd need the ninja and all three Oswalt clones on a full stomach fed by the pastry chef to even come close to murdering my boy Mr. Cumby.

Why does everyone here hate him so much?

Beth's death ranks above Dale's as being solely for shock value, purely to end the storyline with a death. At least most deaths on TWD don't come off that way. T-Dog's and Lori's deaths were surprising and unexpected, but still followed from the circumstances in which the characters were placed. Beth didn't have to die at all, but I think the producers and writers just decided to give us one because of our expectations and maybe even "tradition". I wasn't even that attached to Beth's character, certainly no more than Maggie seems to have been since the departure from the prison, but if you're going to kill a character off, at least do a better job.

I hated Dale with a passion, and besides being cute Beth was kind of useless and a bit annoying. I think the writers kill off people for different reasons; they killed Dale because he sucked so bad he had to die, and they just gave up on Beth, but not before they tried to make you care a little bit about her first by having her bond with the beloved Darryl for a bit.

You'd need the ninja and all three Oswalt clones on a full stomach fed by the pastry chef to even come close to murdering my boy Mr. Cumby.

Why does everyone here hate him so much?

Can't speak for others, but I wouldn't say I hate him. I'm amused and saddened and annoyed by Benny-Batch 'shippers who demand that he absolutely positively must be starring in all the things.

I hated Dale with a passion, and besides being cute Beth was kind of useless and a bit annoying. I think the writers kill off people for different reasons; they killed Dale because he sucked so bad he had to die, and they just gave up on Beth, but not before they tried to make you care a little bit about her first by having her bond with the beloved Darryl for a bit.

I seem to remember that Dale was killed off because of the actor's ties to Darabont and want nothing to do with the show after he got fired.

I seem to remember that Dale was killed off because of the actor's ties to Darabont and want nothing to do with the show after he got fired.

Just as everyone is analyzing the problems or lack of believability in Beth's death, you take us back to the most unlikely, BS death in TWD history. At the end of it all, I was glad to see Dale (and Shane) eliminated in season two, but Dale's death (courtesy of his water balloon gut ripped open by a twig of a zombie) was just plain unbelievable--even in a series with cannibal zombies...

...and Andrea.

• 1 month later...

Yet another episode where "nothing" happened, except for something totally avoidable. Spent a third of the damn episode in a fever dream.

I also still marvel at the ability of the noisy ass zombies finding ways to sneak up on our principles. Fascinating how that always happens.

Yet another episode where "nothing" happened, except for something totally avoidable. Spent a third of the damn episode in a fever dream.

I also still marvel at the ability of the noisy ass zombies finding ways to sneak up on our principles. Fascinating how that always happens.

Yeah, no one surviving for that long would fail to notice every footstep--especially in a world where the noise of the industrial world no longer causes distractions.

Noah needs to become a very useful character now as two long standing characters have died trying to help him out (both of which could have been easily avoided). Tyreese saw a zombie moving in the next room and let his guard down, sheer stupidity.

That being said I loved the episode, shot beautifully, well directed and the switcheroo with the funeral (thought it was Beths at the start) was well done. Cool to see those characters back for an episode too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.