The Walking Dead Season 5

Lucas1138

And ten years from now, the spinoff: SHERIFF CARL: AFTER-DEAD.

3 really terrific episodes to begin the season.

This. It's like AMC laid down ground rules about not dragging out arcs anymore. Or the writers are reading past internet complaints and getting a kick out of one-upping them.

Great start to the series. I too thought we'd be in Terminus for a long time, maybe half this series.

I can't see them being able to keep up this pace to be honest but I'm really enjoying the ride. I've never been bored with this show and although they did drag their feet a bit last season (excuse the pun) it was still one of the best shows on TV by a country mile.

I also agree with Tank's sentiments about Carl. The kid's doing a great job being a teenager in a post-apocalyptic world. Of course I want to slap him sometimes but then I want to slap most teenagers as well. So I'm endorsing that he does a good job :)

That was the first weak episode of the year for me.

I didn't think the people in the hospital were well written. The "nice" doctor was fine, but what the hell with those cops? What was their motivation? I hate when people are "bad" just... because.

I agree. It wasn't terrible or anything, but not terribly compelling, either.

The last few moments with the "nice" doctor piqued my interest, but they're gonna have to drop psycho cop lady ASAP or come up with some real good explanations for her behavior and the way the hospital is run to keep me invested.

They were able to get away with the simplistic (and frankly ridiculous) Terminus Gang and its "They came in, took our stuff, raped everybody, but we took it back!" act, because they were just so completely over-the-top and slimy, it was impossible not to love (to hate) them. Copland Hospital is going to require more finesse to pull off.

That was the first weak episode of the year for me.

I didn't think the people in the hospital were well written. The "nice" doctor was fine, but what the hell with those cops? What was their motivation? I hate when people are "bad" just... because.

I agree. It wasn't terrible or anything, but not terribly compelling, either.

The last few moments with the "nice" doctor piqued my interest, but they're gonna have to drop psycho cop lady ASAP or come up with some real good explanations for her behavior and the way the hospital is run to keep me invested.

They were able to get away with the simplistic (and frankly ridiculous) Terminus Gang and its "They came in, took our stuff, raped everybody, but we took it back!" act, because they were just so completely over-the-top and slimy, it was impossible not to love (to hate) them. Copland Hospital is going to require more finesse to pull off.

Dawn's behavior rests in her "greater good" belief--which serves (so far) as a cover-all to justify the hospital abuses. Like the Governor, when one argues that they all about "protection" and "survival," they feel abuse or employing a sociopath's behavior is the way to handle their people (much like some U.S. Presidents have trotted out national security to commit questionable acts / suppress information...but its "for your own good").

I wonder if Carol was truly hurt, or is she playing opossum.

^ my coworker suggested the same thing. She was with Darryl, who is the safest person in the world to hang with.

The way the hospital operates is kind of suspicious in that they seem to bring a lot of patients who were supposedly knocked unconscious. In the four plus seasons so far, how many zombies actually crack someone over the head and knock them out? They don't! They just eat you. I bet they roll up on people fighting them and knock them out with heir nightsticks and say the zombies did it.

^ my coworker suggested the same thing. She was with Darryl, who is the safest person in the world to hang with.

The way the hospital operates is kind of suspicious in that they seem to bring a lot of patients who were supposedly knocked unconscious. In the four plus seasons so far, how many zombies actually crack someone over the head and knock them out? They don't! They just eat you. I bet they roll up on people fighting them and knock them out with heir nightsticks and say the zombies did it.

Yeah, the head injury is a people giveaway fo shore.

I rewatched it tonight and enjoyed it a lot more. One thing I missed with all the slaps and screams and amputations is that Dawn is obviously being undermined by everybody around her, and is so completely out of her depth and deluded, it's only a matter of time until she gets fed to the walkers herself.

That creates a different, and IMO, more interesting dynamic for the character than if she were simply Gov/Termite-lite. I'm actually curious to see where they go with Dawn now, and what (if any) issues are resolved with her as a character.

-------

Also, I always thought Ray Liotta was as creepy-pervy as you could possibly get; kudos to the casting department for finding his creepier, pervier brother and casting him as Gorman.

Wait... the doctor was nice?

The same guy who got an innocent girl to murder somebody who he deemed a threat to his safety in Psycho Copland General Hospital??? He's actually proven more evil on screen than anyone else (apart from creepy weird rape fiend Gorman). He spent all that time justifying his "safe" existence to Beth only to send her to kill another potential doctor and safeguard his role in Wacko-land??

IMO the first half of this episode I felt was poor but the second half made up for it. The weakest episode of the season so far because of the quality of the first three... but the second half sets up where we're going nicely.

Possum Carol?? I hope so too. My personal theory is that Darryl and Carol ended up in a fight and Carol got taken captive. However Darryl was able to hook up with the black guy from the hospital and he brought him back to the others at the church. Possibly setting up a counter-offensive with Rick and the others.

"Nice" as in he wasn't actively sexually assaulting her with a sucker, slapping her, or otherwise causing her direct harm.

Exactly. There are no nice people left in the world, remember? That's been a recurring theme for...like ever now. If you're not a rapey murder psycho, you're like a saint in this show.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.