Things I've learned watching football

Tex

If it gives you some sort of satisfaction to taunt a stranger on the Internet, im glad.

Nah dude. I totally expect Dallas to go south soon. Just havin fun, knowing full well it can turn to shit at any time. Try to lighten up a bit? It's just football.

I'm very much lightened up. I just don't for the most part enjoy the trash talking aspect of sports. I mean with a good friend of another team it can be fun once in a while, but I'm just not going to enjoy trash talking with someone who I don't really know.

I think they are a good team, will be in playoffs but I think there formula is missing one element. A team that wins based on offensive power football normally needs to be paired with a very good defense. And although the Boys defense isn't the disaster it was predicted to be, it is sill only ok.

Having said that I do think they will win 10 or 11. Obviously to win 10 just have to go 4-5 so not exactly a crazy prediction. They'll make the playoffs.

I agree with all of that. I'm surprised by their D but I'm blown away by their running game. They look like the 90s Boys, but I just can't buy it. I see them crashing hard. Feels a lot like 2007, when we went 13-3 and lost at home to your streaking Giants because we ran out of gas.

I think the 2014 Boys are showing more heart that they have in the past, but I'm far too cynical to believe in them.

I would venture to guess that this mentality galvanizes this team, but I also think they're one loss away from crumbling.

I agree with all of that. I'm surprised by their D but I'm blown away by their running game. They look like the 90s Boys, but I just can't buy it. I see them crashing hard. Feels a lot like 2007, when we went 13-3 and lost at home to your streaking Giants because we ran out of gas.

I think the 2014 Boys are showing more heart that they have in the past, but I'm far too cynical to believe in them.

I would venture to guess that this mentality galvanizes this team, but I also think they're one loss away from crumbling.

That 2007 Cowboys team could have just as easily been 10-6, but they had luck on their side in those 3 games that could have gone the other way. The loss to the Giants in the 2007-2008 playoffs should have been won by the Cowboys, had a wide-open Patrick Crayton not dropped what could have been a sure touchdown. Still, I don't think the Cowboys would have beat the Patriots in the Superbowl, so it all worked out well in the end.

This team really reminds me of the 1992 Cowboys, minus the outstanding defense. Their offense pretty much dictates the flow of the game, and even when the opponent puts 8 men in the box, they still run the ball for positive yardage. You have a 2 tough receivers in Bryant and Williams (remember Irvin and Harper) a running back that makes yards after 1st contact and a tight end that creates space in the middle of the field. They pretty much pushed around a Seattle defense that is almost impossible to beat at home in the past 20 something games at home, and that means a lot.

The defense may not be the greatest thing to show up in the NFL for quite some time, but they shut down Drew Brees in the 1st half of that game, contained Russell Wilson and put enough pressure on Eli to make if very difficult for him to complete passes in crunch time. If this defense finds a way to shut down the fast paced offense of the Eagles, my view of them might change to that of a defense that just doesn't quit and they've shown a lot of that through the 1st seven games.

This team has an attitude that I haven't seen in a long time from the Cowboys and I believe it all started in week 1, when they clawed a scratched their way back into a game that would have been a blowout last season.

I think they are a good team, will be in playoffs but I think there formula is missing one element. A team that wins based on offensive power football normally needs to be paired with a very good defense. And although the Boys defense isn't the disaster it was predicted to be, it is sill only ok.

Having said that I do think they will win 10 or 11. Obviously to win 10 just have to go 4-5 so not exactly a crazy prediction. They'll make the playoffs.

The Saints won their Superbowl with a dominant offense and an opportunistic defense that created turnovers. The Saints' defense gave up a lot of yardage, but they won the battle of turnovers with something like a +15.

• 3 months later...

Now that Brady got #4, I've heard all the talking heads debating this week and it reminded me of this thread. So I've learned...

You are a better quarterback if you weren't good enogh to make the Superbowl in some years rather than if you led your team to the big game and lost. (Montana-Brady)

Is just the way people think. The Buffalo Bills made it to four straight Super Bowls yet some think they are the worst team in the history of the NFL.

Now that Brady got #4, I've heard all the talking heads debating this week and it reminded me of this thread. So I've learned...

You are a better quarterback if you weren't good enogh to make the Superbowl in some years rather than if you led your team to the big game and lost. (Montana-Brady)

Is just the way people think. The Buffalo Bills made it to four straight Super Bowls yet some think they are the worst team in the history of the NFL.

Sad but true. We will probably never see a team make 4 straight Superbowls again. Yet the Bills are looked on as losers. The same thing happens in basketball. Magic Johnson made 9 trips to the Finals in his 12 year career. That's just incredible. To play 12 years of NBA basketball and not play in the Finals in only 3 of those? We'll never see an NBA player do that again either. Yet all you ever hear is how Jordan went 6-6.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.