Things I've learned watching football

Tex

If you have great QB stats but fail to win a Super Bowl you are worse than a QB with lesser stats but multiple SB wins (Marino-Montana).

If you have great QB stats and win 1 SB you are better than a QB with lesser stats but multiple SB wins (Manning-Brady).

If you throw 5 TDs and 1 interception its still your fault when you lose (Romo last year against the Broncos).

You can break the all time interception record and still be considered a great QB (Favre).

If you win 4 consecutive conference championships but fail to win a SB you are bigger losers than you would have been if you simply missed the playoffs in those 4 years. (Bills)

People will forgive you for killing someone if you win a SB (Ray Lewis).

Pittsburgh's intolerance for player thuggary does not apply to QBs (Rapistburger).

Teams can be shamed into cutting players (Ravens, Vikings).

Did Marino actually have better stats than Montana?

Montana 63.2% completions, 7.5 yards per attempt, 5.1% TD rate, 2.6% INT rate, 92.3 passer rating

Marino 59.4% completions, 7.4 yards per attempt, 5.0% TD rate, 3.0% INT rate, 86.4 passer rating

Plus Joe was a far better scrambler and runner, Marino totaled 87 rushing yards in his career, Monatana 1676.

Marino was able to play longer so his total stats are larger, but when they played Montana was a better QB regardless of how many Super Bowls either won.

Well if Montana had a higher TD rate and a lower INT rate, I can surmise he had a better TD:INT ratio.

Also I should correct myself, Marino didn't really play longer. He was healthier which allowed him to put up much larger total numbers. Staying healthy is part of being great though so if someone thinks Marino was greater based on that, I can't really argue.

But like I said, on a week in, week out basis Montana was the better player.

I actually think TDs can be somewhat overrated when rating a QB, thank you fantasy football. Look at a guy like Troy Aikman, a really great player who I think gets somewhat underrated because he didn't throw a ton of TDs. But that was due to Emmit running it in so often. Troy had that ability to throw more TDs, but it wasn't needed and he was a great, great player.

I actually think TDs can be somewhat overrated when rating a QB, thank you fantasy football. Look at a guy like Troy Aikman, a really great player who I think gets somewhat underrated because he didn't throw a ton of TDs. But that was due to Emmit running it in so often. Troy had that ability to throw more TDs, but it wasn't needed and he was a great, great player.

I think you just nailed the point of my thread, which is the odd, often contradictory (sometimes circular ) "truths" that you see in football.

For instance Aikman wasn't all that great because he had a great running game. Emmitt wasn't that great because he had a solid offensive line. And Irvin was only good because of Aikiman. Yet none of them would've been great without a solid D.

I certainly agree with the point on the Bills. I didn't like that team, but I sure as hell respect them. Four straight conference championships is an accomplishment in it's own right. Winning the Super Bowl may be the ultimate goal, but there are other degrees of success.

I like to remember those Bills for what they were. Tenacity can be glorious in its own way.

Those that know me can appreciate my affinity for succinct quotes, so you'll forgive me if i may amend my previous.,.....aw fuck it

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS

Sorry Dex. You're free to amuse yourself. Kdfl,k

I think it's more likely that Troy Aikman is under properly rated because he's exceedingly average in every way with the exception of Super Bowl victories.

This is just from someone who didn't watch the cowboys play back then cause you are too young. They didn't play an offense conducive to putting up pretty stats passing. They didn't throw a lot of short, easy passes. They threw with purpose.

Troy Aikman isn't one of the best 20 quarterbacks in NFL history. You can't make an argument otherwise.

Troy Aikman isn't one of the best 20 quarterbacks in NFL history. You can't make an argument otherwise.

No, he's not one of the top 20, but he had such a good team around him, that he wasn't expected to carry the workload.

Arm strength: average, pocket mobility: below average, passing accuracy: exceptional, leadership: exceptional, game preparation: excellent, exploiting defensive coverage: excellent, risk taking: below average, and durability: above average. He may not have been the most physically gifted quarterback, but he made up for it by being exceptionally smart on the field of play.

He was awesome. I remember being totally confident on passing 3rd downs because he was so accurate.

I've often wondered what his stats would have been like if he had been on a team with a bad D and a bad running game.

I think so, yeah. That hit he took from Arrington was brutal, but if he felt like he had unfinished business I could totally see him coming back. The fact that he had 3 rings and the fact that Dallas's future looked bleak made his decision to retire a lot easier.

And on that note, to try and get the thread back on track:

If you follow a legend by breaking team passing records and taking your team to three consecutive conference championships you'll still be considered a loser for not winning a SB (Danny White)

In your opinion, would he have stuck around longer if he didn't already have 3 rings?

I had thought that his career had come to an end, because of all of the concussion he had in the last couple of seasons. Troy brought up the reason why he had retired, when he was talking about Romo's back surgeries. Troy said that it was his own back problems that had led to him retiring and that he would have liked to have played longer than he was able to do.

Jock Straps for life. I used to love it when they put the marching band in the end zone bleacher because... I cheered really loud. Yeah.

I used to wrestle and play football, and I didn't realize until well after high school that I had basically been nude in front of thousands of people.

I think Aikman was a great QB for the 1990s. 3200 yards and 20-something TDs was perfectly acceptable in the 90s when WR's and QB's weren't protected by different rules.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.