Twin Peaks returning to Showtime in 2016

Guest El Chalupacabra

I decided to not say anything until it's done...

I look forward to the discussion. I've gone from extreme hate (Ep8) to "I think I get it" (again Ep8) to LOVE (Ep4 and Ep15).

George Lucas did not steal my childhood. Feaking David Lynch did when he made me despise Shelly Johnson this year. Madchen Amick was literally the first girl poster I hung on my bedroom wall back in the day. My very first celebrity lust. I adored her TP character and looks. And DL broke my GD heart when I saw she's making the same mistakes and dissed a now AWESOME Bobby Briggs.

I don't even know where to begin.

I think as a Lynch fan, an experimental film fan, and a fan of anything that pushes the envelope of form and content it was overall a work of genius. Lynch essentially trolled Showtime into bankrolling his magnum opus by selling them on the nostalgic concept of Twin Peaks. Maybe they weren't paying attention, but David Lynch loves to fuck with people by twisting with nostalgia and using it against his audience to put them through the wringer. In a lot of ways the original series was also a magnificent prank on mainstream audiences, but this time he went for broke.

I wont lie-- there's a small part of me that was nostalgic for the mainstream version of Twin Peaks. I wanted Dale Cooper, back in town, solving a mystery and meeting all the weirdos that lived there. But ultimately, I'm fine with Twin Peaks just being the shell for a Lynchverse that tells other stories as well-- and most definitely links together multiple works-- Eraserhead, Mullholland Drive, and Lost Highway.

Of course I wish Harry had been there, Donna too... (either one). I would have liked to see Bobby and James have an adult conversation. And of course, I'd want to see Coop and Audrey... but overall I'm pretty happy with what David decided to give us. Hopefully it did well enough for Showtime that despite realizing they've been hoodwinked that they'll let him run wild some more.

• 5 weeks later...

I Lynch. I like the abstract. I like "weird". I like Twin Peaks... but I just can't get into this. It has its moments but sweet mother of god there is so much filler. I took a long break after episode four, made it until Dougie goes to work in 5 and then heard Joel Hodgson yelling "DO SOMETHING!" from Manos in my head. Most of the "weirdness" of this show consists of people not communicating like actual human beings and pointlessly long takes that lead to nothing. I really wanted to like this, and I very much hope it's something that will grow on me at some point, but I really don't know what he was going for here. Perhaps it's a slow burn, but if so I'll just wait until somebody edits together an abridged version. :shrug:

• 7 months later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm late to the discussion here, but I've seen all but the last 2 episodes. I am overall really happy with this reunion miniseries. And great point about this connecting Twin Peaks to the other Lynch works, Tank. I picked up on that, too. Even if it is in a visual way. Also, very clever how they wrote in the original actor who played Sheriff Truman as the brother of Harry S. Not perfect, but still a great job so far. My only real issue is Cooper/Dougie story goes a little too long with him acting brain damaged, and wish the Cooper persona came back sooner, even if it were gradual. Would have also liked to see Leland more. One thing that was something I liked was Lynch's Agent Cole being more prominent. Probably the most horrifying scene is when the little boy gets hit by the 3 ton truck. God that was heart wrenching. Then that is balanced with Dr Amp's gold sh** digging shovel commercials. Hilarious!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.