Twin Peaks returning to Showtime in 2016

Guest El Chalupacabra

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

ARGH! And maybe not...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/05/david-lynch-exits-showtimes-twin-peaks-reboot

David Lynch has pulled out of Showtime's Twin Peaks reboot, the director announced on Twitter Sunday.

"After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations, I left because not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done, Lynch said. I love the world of Twin Peaks and wish things could have worked out differently."

Showtime first announced plans to bring back Twin Peaks, which went off the air in 1991, in January. At the time, Twin Peaks creators Lynch and Mark Frost were expected to write and produce the nine-episode limited series run.

According to a statement though, Showtime is still optimistic that they can work it out with Lynch. Showtime also loves the world of Twin Peaks, the network said, and we continue to hold out hope that we can bring it back in all its glory with both of its extraordinary creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, at its helm.

• 1 month later...

Are you sure it isn't the nostalgia?

Things just get weirder and weirder. I don't even think I really care about who killed Laura. I'm just waiting for something to happen to explain why so many people love this so much.

It's not nostalgia. There hasn't been a new show compared to it every season since it went off the air. The weirdness is part of the show and is fully intentional. If it's not your thing it's not going to get better for you.

I love the small time crime syndicate, I love the weirdness, I love the complexity of the murder mystery even though it was never initially intended to be solved and I love the characters. David Lynch is an acquired taste though.

I was a huge Twin Peaks fan as a kid. I love the opening credits, weirdness, and Agent Cooper (he IS Twin Peaks). However, after rewatching the show a few years ago, I kind of agree with Cerina. As the show went on, there just became too much to keep track of. I see Twin Peaks the same way I see Battlestar Gallatica; If there weren't so many meaningless side stories and empty fluff, both shows might be in the conversation for two of the greatest shows of all time. I am excited to see what Lynch can do in a tight, 8-12 episode run, similar to Fargo and True Detective.

Guest El Chalupacabra

This show is soooooooo wtf. Just wtf.

I'm trying to power through it. Does it get good or is the weirdness what people love about it?

It's the weirdness and nostalgia, to be honest with you. Twin Peaks is dated and slow moving by modern standards, especially considering all the procedural crime shows that followed it.

But I am looking forward to an updated sequel/continuation series of Twin Peaks, especially since its by Lynch. Hopefully, it will be like what the Coen Brothers did for Fargo the series, compared to their movie, Fargo.

We made it through Season 1. So far, the first half of the first episode in Season 2 has been better than all of season 1. My sister kept asking me if we were watching the same show.

REESE. This will not get better for you. You won't get it. Either you get it by the 2nd show you watch or it's not for you.

It came onto plain tv, not cable, at a time when we still liked Cosby, Will Smith was fresh Dallas was wrapping up. It was like having an indie film fest come onto your personal teevee in your living room every week-it was one of the few times there was something TRULY quirky on broadcast television-so maybe that part of it IS nostalgia. It was a bit groundbreaking in that it was a soap opera with no meaning and no end. It's simply ABOUT Agent Cooper and his clean-cut lust for damn good pie and Nadine and cotton balls of baby oil and what we didn't know but suspected about Laura's Palmer's life that we didn't know about because she appeared to be this sweet girl-next-door but....

It used some experimental technology. When the dwarf dances in the Red Lodge, they recorded him talking, then played it backwards and coached him until he could say his lines backwards. Then, they recorded him saying his lines BACKWARDS and ran THAT back-backwards and it made the "whup-whup" sound that backnmasking does, but the words were somewhat intelligible! You wouldn't get ****ery like THAT on Growing Pains.

Then Northern Exposure came and tried to be mainstream quirky and it sold better but Twin Peaks was really a better production.

Also, at the time, serialized story-telling was absent from TV. Most shows were ship-in-thew-bottle episodes. The idea of tuning in to follow a continuing story every week was super rare at the time. Kind of like how Lost and Breaking Bad have those water-cooler moments where everyone at work compares notes and thoughts about how it's going to go-- Twin Peaks invented that.

I didn't say I wasn't enjoying it at all. I'm only 2 episodes into season 2 and it's just so much better. I did have to power through the first half of season 1 though (just like I powered through the first season of Buffy and Nine's season of Doctor Who). And I still would like a chart of who is sleeping with who because damn.

I'm just not seeing it live up to the hype. Entertaining, kinda funny, slightly mysterious, weird as hell, but one of the best shows of all time? Meh. I guess I missed that boat. But I can see how if I'd have had viewed it first back when it aired I might have thought differently.

So then. The movie. Yay or nay?

oh hey!! Bob creepering over the couch! I get that.

The movie is amazing-- if you like David Lynch movies. It's not in conjunction with ABC or Mark Frost so it's unhinged Lynch and tonally very different and a billion times weirder than the show. You have to be a huge David Lynch and/or Twin Peaks fan to like it-- so I don't think you would like it.

If you want to watch it anyway, some things to keep in mind: even though it is a prequel and recreates to a T all the things the series told us Laura did the week she died, you still don't want to watch it until her mystery is wrapped midway through season 2. It runs with you knowing who the killer is from the get go and ruins some twists for the show if you watch it first. Also, the show sucks after that because Lynch walked.

The movie barely features many of the show regulars, focusing on Laura, James, Bobby, Leland and Donna (played by a different actress). Everyone else, including Cooper, is barely in it. Harry isn't in it at all.

The first third of the movie is about two completely new FBI agents investigating Teresa Banks, the victim we know came before Laura.

Point is, it is pretty far off from the show.

Ok, you get that I'm not turned off by the weirdness, I just don't see how it translates into best show ever, right? This is my very first David Lynch exposure, so I couldn't tell you if I enjoy his "style" or not.

Watching now, I'm totally seeing how this show is a cult classic. But so many people I know have told me for years that this was one of the best shows on television, cut down in its prime. I'm not sure what I was expecting. But this certainly wasn't it. Maybe something closer to Broadchurch...I don't know.

Plus, you know, it took a while to divorce some of these actors from other roles they've occupied in my mind. I'm like "why does Ginger have 2 legs? and holy crap she's going to school with that crazy bitch Stacy! wow this show is old..." Though come to think of it, Wayne's World is like the same age as this show...God I'm getting old.

Wait until you see David Dichoveny as a transgendered DEA agent.

It was the greatest show ever, but it wasn't cut down, it imploded. It was a crazy huge hit, and David Lynch was always an art house guy. He wanted it to get even weirder and the network got scared. They wanted to make it safer and more familiar so they ordered him solve Laura's mystery and set up a new one mid season and make it more procedural.

lynch walked, unhappy actors started to phone it in, all the regular directors were replaced by network shills-- the show literally looked and felt totally different and people bailed by the millions. The last episode Lynch came back to try and pull it together, but instead gave us a cliffhanger that's gone unsatisfied since.

David Duchovny as a transgendered DEA agent!!! I'd forgotten about that! HA!

I never saw this as best show ever, more like one of my personal favorites because it was the first time I can recall seeing something NOT homogenized to hell on regular teevee. I think it was the best show ever on TV at the time-but certainly since it cracked the door open and cable expended there have been many others. Does ANYTHING that broke its genre's mold remain the ultimate best forever? I can't think of anything. Saying it's THE BEST EVAR sets you up for unrealistic expectations.

BTW, I just ate at the RR diner on Sunday but did not have the pie.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.