Pills

Burt

So one week with no panic attacks. No chest pains. I had started taking the Buspar, but it was a really low dose and since I was feeling better I just stopped. Still feeling better. Think I'll tell my doc I don't need it.

Good luck Burt, hope you're doing better my man.

According to my GP and therapist, medicating anxiety is a temporary thing. Once you get a little control over panic attacks, you're supposed to use calming and coping techniques to get through them.

Mental behavior creates neural pathways. Once you stop that with meds, you're to learn how to create new, healthier pathways so eventually, you just cope without having to think about it too much.

I quit taking the pills after a few days. I think a 2-3 day vacation from anxiety was all I needed to get a grip. Made myself make the time for lifting weights and jogging, hopefully that'll keep everything manageable until I can get a normal work week and life.

You started taking medicine, began feeling better, and now you want to stop the medicine?

the medicine I was taking was a super low dose of a medicine that doesn't fully work until taking it for 4-6 weeks. I hadn't even ramped up to two a day (or the four a day i'd be taking by the end of the month). You start small to make sure you don't have a bad reaction to it. It wasn't actually doing anything for my anxiety.

I quit taking the pills after a few days. I think a 2-3 day vacation from anxiety was all I needed to get a grip. Made myself make the time for lifting weights and jogging, hopefully that'll keep everything manageable until I can get a normal work week and life.

So no more chest pains? Or are you just toughing through it? I'm glad things are at least a bit better for you.

So no more chest pains? Or are you just toughing through it? I'm glad things are at least a bit better for you.

Thanks. It's more of just an occassional flutter now, but I can manage it with controlled breathing and relaxation. My wife is a psychiatrist, and she says I internalize everything, and that trait is really great for good things but really bad for stress. I am trying to let things out a bit more, mostly through exercise. Wife told me I probably quit taking them too early. I'm going to take them for another week then taper off.

Hope things go better for you (and the others in this thread).

Apparently. I've been taking a few dozen of 'em a month since 1991 and I don't think I'm addicted. I don't crave them and when I take them recreationally they fuck my shit up. When I have a migraine, they just take the edge off. I've gone almost a month without a migraine a couple times and I don't feel any different without them.

I did research to argue with my doctor and found people are dying from them. A LOT and often. I'd think OxyContin would be THE pill but they say hydrocodone is being abused more than Oxy these days. I've had Oxy a few times and it's a wonderful drug but it's way too pricey.

Hydroxyzine? Keep a glass of water by the bed. I wake up absolutely parched with dry mouth from the stuff. It sort of reminds me of benadryl, but the sedation doesn't feel quite as dumb. They say it can help with anxiety. What's your dose Tami? I generally take 50 - 100 mg.

Don't know-I haven't filled in yet and the script's at home right now. My GP says it'll make me groggier than Neurontin did and that shit was so bad, I couldn't voice the next day. NOT looking forward to trying this so maybe it'll nudge me to get more out of talk therapy.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on hydrocodone for post-surgery pain. Is it really that addictive? It took the edge off but I didn't think it was all that exciting.

Hydrocodone is the number one abused prescription drug in America. It is addictive, but mostly because of the fact it Is prescribed so frequently. That being said, As long as you take it only for the short term and don't drink or take other meds with it you should not have a problem.

Unfortunately it's a risk for people with chronic pain being treated with repeat prescriptions or combine it wih the likes of benzodiazepines or other opiods, alcohol, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Xanax for awhile. It mellowed out my mood swings a bit and elevated my mood somewhat (I was on a low dose), but the problems that caused my depression were still there. As long as you don't deal with the CAUSE of your stress, depression, and anxiety, these problems will continue to come back to haunt you. Drugs won't change that. Is there any way you can take on fewer hours? Get a day off now and then? I don't know what you do for a living, but giving yourself a break will be better for you in the long run than forcing yourself to work constantly on low energy and fragged-out nerves. But at least you're finding ways to deal with the stress a little better. Hope it's helping you feel less anxious.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.