Once Upon a Time Season 4

Good God a Bear

Exactly. People like to gloss over pirates but we're talking about a group that rapes, murders, and steals FOR A LIVING. (Which is why "talk like a pirate day is offensive to me.") And this man was the leader of such a group. Would people be cool with Emma dating Charles Manson?

Exactly. People like to gloss over pirates but we're talking about a group that rapes, murders, and steals FOR A LIVING.

Normal pirates, yeah. But Hook's a Disney pirate. His worst offenses are probably stealing gold coins from crooked politicians, pillaging villages that were already deserted, and refusing to hold doors open for women.

If Hook is a real pirate, I triple-dog-dare the showrunners to give us a TV-14 flashback of unreformed Hook on a violent, aggravated, sex-criminal rampage. One horrifying thirty-second flashback will do.

Nothing against Colin O'Donoghue's performance (he's one of the more entertaining blokes they've got), but the show's never convinced me he's much more than a really edgy sailor.

Exactly. People like to gloss over pirates but we're talking about a group that rapes, murders, and steals FOR A LIVING.

Normal pirates, yeah. But Hook's a Disney pirate. His worst offenses are probably stealing gold coins from crooked politicians, pillaging villages that were already deserted, and refusing to hold doors open for women.

And "steal" Rumplestiltskin's wife?

(I use the quotes because I don't remember exactly how that went down)

The only really bad things we've seen Hook do are humiliate Gold and help to kill/imprison old ben mickey. My problem with Hook really stems from this fact combined with making Peter a no remorse villain...

Every character in Once except for Peter and Henry have a rounded personality with pros/cons and a history. We're allowed to feel for murderers like Regina and Gold, but Peter who is arguably the purest childhood hero around who champions imagination and friendship gets displayed as a, perhaps poetically, a shadow of the person he is.

OK

#1 - Didn't Pinocchio write the book? Am I making that up in my head?

#2 - Villains are always written better on this show than the "good guys".

#3 - Why couldn't Snow have died in childbirth? Ok that's harsh, but seriously she needs to go.

#4- Didn't see the foster mom twist. Sometimes they surprise.

Other than everything Hook does, the foster-mom revelation is the only thing so far this season that's caught my interest.

OK

#1 - Didn't Pinocchio write the book? Am I making that up in my head?

That's how I remember it, too.

#2 is Truth. And everything about Mayor Snow White has been grade-F dumb. Even worse if I compare her to Mayor Snow White from Willingham's Fables.

• 2 weeks later...

For the first time in forever I was watching Frozen with my kids this morning and then I noticed some bullshit regarding Once. Elsa and Anna's father was king, the royal bloodine is on his side. He was the one coronated. Which means in the basic scenario then Once has it flurpedup as they detail the three sisters as the royals of Arendale, but that's not how royal lines work. The bloodline stays sovereign while the marriedline becomes consort.

Examples:

Britian's QE2 married Philip. Philip does not become king, he's Prince or also could be King-Consort. If QE2 died prior to having heirs Philip never gets the throne. It goes to QE2's sister.

Prince Charles' Diana and Camila would not be Queen either.

The only time a consort takes the throne is by proxy for an heir too young to rule when the bloodline monarch-parent dies.

However we could manipulate a scenario that allows for Once and Frozen to both be right... the mom in the begining of Frozen has to be a step-mother and the father was King by proxy for Elsa.

I'll forgive them that. So far frozen has been the most canon of all the films/characters used. Everybody else has been altered comsiderably. We're not mad because Regina hates Snow for betraying her as opposed to just being prettier.

This reminds me of a convo my sister and I had recently about Disney Princesses, and how people are always leaving out Princesses and considering others Princesses when they're really probably not.

Yeah I let it go too. I just thought it was a neat tidbit and maybe one that could have been or may still get played with.

Afterthought:

It is fun to note that the most marketed Disney Princess, Cinderella, wouldn't be able to become a Queen... nor Belle and Tiana. However Snow, Aurora, Ariel, Merida and Rapunzel are all bloodline royals capable of ruling. The two most powerful would be Snow and Aurora respectively because they united kingdoms with their marriages. Ariel united a kingdom too, but if I recall right she was the youngest heir... essentially comparable to Hans position.

Also while Snow is always refered to as a Princess, even in post-story marketing etc, she is the rightful queen throughout her film and indisputably at the end.

Jasmine is special in that her IRL culture's methods seem to place the male, even marriedline, above the female. Although my understanding in this one is limited.

Going back to Belle and differences in Once to the films, in Once Belle is a royal but in the film she is a peasant. This never really bothered me because it was so loosely referenced up until this season. I do think Belle looses something being rich/catered to her whole life but since it's not a story focus it's forgivable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.