Avengers 3/4(!)

Filthy Jawa

Not super high on the trailer. There's just so much going on that there's nothing to focus on. I'm guessing that more than a few characters whose actors have expiring contracts are dead by the end of the movie. It's all just rolling out more superheroes and expecting a cheer. And it's not just the crown, Thanos feels kinda like a Hulkish brawler here, which is a bit weird.

It's a shame that Marvel doesn't have the rights to Dr. Doom, because I want to see a villain join the team against Thanos (other than Loki) in a "Let's put all of our differences aside while we face the bigger threat and, btw, I might stab you in the back later" role. and Doom would be the perfect fit. He's a legit threat to Thanos with a vast set of powers he could employ. Could be an asset in the planning and leadership roles being more intelligent than even heavy hitters like Stark, Banner, Parker, Pym, and T'Challa already in the MCU and the option for giving him a history where he's experienced in directing battles, and has the ability just to say he'll walk away and protect Latveria. Just bring him in to help out for a bit and introduce a bit more discord into what's already a decently fragmented group who would wonder what the catch is.

Then they could use the newly legitimized and scary Doom to restart the Fantastic Four properly. Only in my dreams.

I really wish I could be excited for this, but I just can't get to that level. I think that the sheer number of event movies has done it in for me.

Although the closest I got to feeling excited was the GotG at the end.

Other moments I liked:

Parker's Spidey-sense with the hairs on his arm

Bearded Captain America

Moments I didn't like:

The battle at the Black Gate against the forces of Mordor

I'm excited for it enough that I'm stoked to see it, and I think it looks cool, and given howe much I liked CW, I feel like this will be competent and fun.

But I'm not emotionally invested at all, and I feel like they want me to be.

A friend was convinced that it wasn't Chris Pratt in that final shot. I tried explaining that the internet would have exploded by now if that were the case, but he still doesn't buy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm excited for it enough that I'm stoked to see it, and I think it looks cool, and given howe much I liked CW, I feel like this will be competent and fun.

But I'm not emotionally invested at all, and I feel like they want me to be.

I feel the same way. I remember reading the Infinity Gauntlet, and the Silver Surfer back when they came out in the early 1990s, and for me it was THE comic event back then. I have wanted to see that story on film, or even animated ever since. But now....eh, I wouldn't say I am indifferent because I do want to see it, but, I am far less excited than 20 year old me would have been. I think it has a lot to do with saturation of all the comics movies over the last decade.

A friend was convinced that it wasn't Chris Pratt in that final shot. I tried explaining that the internet would have exploded by now if that were the case, but he still doesn't buy it.

If memory serves, Thor had a beard in the Infinity Gauntlet series. So it makes perfect sense to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just came back and... I am not a fan at all. The Russos proved to have trouble in Civil War in balancing fights with heroes and supervillains with vastly different powers when they just had Vision disappear for most of the fight. In this one, they just tossed their hands in the air and declared everyone equal. When you've got villains simultaneously so powerful they can easily take out Vision and Scarlet Witch and then seconds later get their butts handed to them by Captain America, Black Widow, and Falcon, it's a problem. When Thanos can make all weapons non-functional and warp reality itself with a thought, and then has any difficulty at all with a straight-up attack with blasters and punches, it's a problem. The only credible attack in the whole thing was Mantis.

And all the deaths are just whatever. I expected there to be a handful of goodbyes in this movie that gave the film weight, but half the dead people have confirmed sequels, so we know they're going to resurrect anyone they want. Might as well be an episode of Dragon Ball Z for how much they've undercut the threat of death. I'm not coming out of the theater thinking that the heroes got their butts kicked in this dark and scary storyline. It's just the halfway point before we find out Tony Stark is the key to winning the day. Really? Iron Man the key? I know, I was shocked too.

Red Skull's surprise appearance was pretty sweet at least and there were a few good lines here and there (for some reason, it amuses me to think of Thor taking "Groot" as a foreign language elective). Otherwise, it really was a bit of a waste of time. Just a long setup for another movie that doesn't sound all that interesting.

It was a good film. Not as great as the near perfect Civil War and The Winter Soldier as I thought the narrative and editing were just... scenes tagged together... but the direction and ensemble were in top form. Good first parter, can't really judge it completely until the second part arrives next year. 4/5.

Guest El Chalupacabra

J

And all the deaths are just whatever. I expected there to be a handful of goodbyes in this movie that gave the film weight, but half the dead people have confirmed sequels, so we know they're going to resurrect anyone they want. Might as well be an episode of Dragon Ball Z for how much they've undercut the threat of death. I'm not coming out of the theater thinking that the heroes got their butts kicked in this dark and scary storyline. It's just the halfway point before we find out Tony Stark is the key to winning the day. Really? Iron Man the key? I know, I was shocked too.

Not sure if you read the Infinity Gauntlet from the 1990s, but a LOT of characters died, only to be resurrected with a hand wave. So yeah, that is to be expected.

It was fun and exactly what I expected. At this point you should know what a Marvel movie is going to give you. The make a certain type of movie very well. For that reason I can’t get worked up to love or hate— but it was what I expected and wanted so thumbs up.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I thought it was ****ing awesome. Already seen it twice. Pitch perfect.

Totally agree. One of my favorite MCU so far. Hard for me to rank it but definitely near the top of the list. At times it seemed more of a GOTG movie in the same way Civil War felt more like an Avengers movie, but not a bad thing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.