Avengers 3/4(!)

Filthy Jawa

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/09/will-avengers-3-be-split-into-two-separate-movies-by-marvel/

[A] rumor coming out of a fan news page called the Daily Marvelite claims that the third Avengers film will an epic story split across two movies.

They admitted that all their source has told them is that the battle with Thanos will play out over two films; it could simply be that Avengers 4 will be needed to win the day, or that the third film will be subdivided.

The latter seems more likely if, as the report claims, the May 2018 and May 2019 untitled Marvel movies turn out to be Avengers 3 and 4.

Interesting rumour and not all that unlikely from a financial point of view. The discussion that arises from this is around contracts for the actors. Specifically RDJ and Chris Evans who are only locked up through Avengers 3 and if they split it into two films, it may not be so easy to keep them in it for the fourth one. Of course, new contracts can be drawn up ... or Steve Rogers and Tony Stark can be replaced by Bucky Barnes and James Rhodes ... or they can just be written out/killed off/whatever. Should be interesting though.

Wouldn't surprise me. The Infinity Gauntlet should be a HUGE story. Bring in all the secondary heroes (War Machine, Falcon, Bucky), the core six plus the new members coming in Age of Ultron (Quicksilver, Vision, Scarlet Witch), phase three characters like Ant Man and Dr Strange, and even the Netflix characters (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones), and hell, the guardians of the galaxy. This could be insane.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree-- Civil War is a little more grounded and interesting in my opinion. I never liked the big cosmic stuff as much.

But I wouldn't worry-- they've already established Thanos and the Infinity Gems and we know A2 is about Ultron, so A3 will have to deal with it.

Also, just because A3 could be split into two volumes it's still likely to be budget/shot as one. All that changes is back end profits and box offices bonuses double, which no actor is going to have trouble with.

Wouldn't surprise me. The Infinity Gauntlet should be a HUGE story. Bring in all the secondary heroes (War Machine, Falcon, Bucky), the core six plus the new members coming in Age of Ultron (Quicksilver, Vision, Scarlet Witch), phase three characters like Ant Man and Dr Strange, and even the Netflix characters (Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones), and hell, the guardians of the galaxy. This could be insane.

Insane..but will they be able to manage so many characters, so that no one is marginalized? That was hard enough in the Avengers comics over the decades, which is why the better stories featured a handful of members, where personal character shined.

My reaction to all of the Marvel / Avengers news in the past 24 hours:

There's a lot of interesting ways this could play out, here's my calls on how it will go down. (Spoilers if you consider speculation to be such.)
  • Avengers 2 ends with Tony siding with the remains of the new Coulson-led SHIELD and the government, calling for the Registration Act in the wake of the mess he made with Ultron. He's also responsible for betraying Bruce and banishing the Hulk to space in the last third of Avengers 2.
  • Steve is enraged that Tony would stab a team member in the back and remembers what happened when the government was in charge during the events of Cap 2. He vows that he won't be a part of it, and instead puts together his own team of Avengers at the end of Avengers 2.
  • This sets up a story thread through the rest of Phase 3, including the Netflix shows and Agents of SHIELD: Will new heroes coming out of the woodwork side with Cap or Iron Man? New street level heroes like Daredevil or Ant Man will get recruitment calls or visits from either side.
  • Cap 3 is the culmination of things between Steve and Tony, with one hero being held in a tug of war between the two. Steve "dies" at the end of Cap 3, with either Bucky or Falcon taking the name and leadership of the new team. It's possible this is why we heard about the Sony / Marvel / Spider-man talks.
  • The Hulk either gets a solo Planet Hulk movie or a team up in Guardians 2.
  • The new team takes on some new threat in Avengers 3. Possibly the return of The Hulk to Earth, or some sort of galactic precursor to Thanos.
  • The entire team of old and new Avengers, alongside the Guardians (along with the last contracted films for Downey, Evans and Hemsworth) take on Thanos in the finale of the long-threaded Infinity Gauntlet storyline in the second half of Avengers 3 or Avengers 4, however they end up marketing it.

Insane..but will they be able to manage so many characters, so that no one is marginalized? That was hard enough in the Avengers comics over the decades, which is why the better stories featured a handful of members, where personal character shined.

Yeah, I don't know how they'd pull it off, I was just fanboying a bit there. But they've proven me wrong more than once before with these films. I still don't want Civil War though.

I recently downloaded the Infinity Gauntlet comics and read through them, is there really enough story there to warrant the bulk of its plot being in more than one movie?

It's honestly somewhat simple: (Spoilers) Thanos goes power mad over a crush on Death, kills a lot of people, the Avengers fight him, Nebula immediately retcons everything, the end.

Is there really enough there to span it more than it already has been with all of the Infinity Gem teases?

I suppose they could do a very abbreviated Civil War as the sole plot to Cap3-- it would just be odd to have Tony as the bad guy.

In the comics they tried very hard to play it as both sides having a valid point, but at the end of the day the couldn't pull it off and Tony came off as a jerk-wad and he erased his own memories of surrounding much of it.

The MCU doesn't have time to do the full Civil War, and frankly, not enough heroes to give it the impact.

Calling it now-- Red Skull is behind it-- the superhero registration act is super nazi-ish. Red Skull kidnaps Tony then impersonates him to cause trouble.

SO, RDJ IS in Cap3, seems like the villain, but is actually Red Skull. Real Tony is freed after Red Skull is unmasked and joins up with Cap to take him down.

Man, I should work in Hollywood.

As much as I´d love Infinity Gauntlet (then bring on Annihilation!), there´s a golden skinned problem here. A lot of the cosmic forces can easily be written out of Gaultlet, even Surfer is mostly just hanging around, but Adam Warlock can´t be left out without changing the whole setup from start to finish. And he´s a very complex character, much harder to just throw into the mix than let´s say , some guy who is handy with bow-and-arrows.

So just gimmie an Adam Warlock movie first. The Magus storyline preferrably since Gamora and Thanos are already in the movieverse. Would nicely bring the soul gem into the equation as well.

Ben Parker

Thomas and Martha Wayne

the ONLY people in comics that haven't been resurrected.

How about Captain Marvel/Mar-Vell? I think there have only been ghost versions and alternate versions and shit like that. And it´s been 30 years.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.