Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

True, but if Golden Corral catered to the habits of non-fat mofos they'd go out of business.

The only reason fans think they should be catered to is because they forget they were kids.

Yup, Star Wars always has to hook the next generation--and that's why it's survived so long. But I disagree that Rebels is aimed solely at kids. It's a kid's show, sure, but the focus on the McQuarrie art and getting the feel of the OT right makes me think Filoni and company are trying just as much to appeal to the old school type of fan. Whether or not they're successful is a totally different conversation. :)

Golden Corral doesn't serve food, for fatties or otherwise. And Disney is certainly capable of creating content enjoyable for both children and adults. I just wanted to see if Rebels was in that category. I've seen no evidence that it is.

Mara and I are adults. We like it.

Yeah but we're obviously immature because we like a children's show. Our palates are not as refined as others'. *goes back to reading the SWEU*

Golden Corral doesn't serve food, for fatties or otherwise. And Disney is certainly capable of creating content enjoyable for both children and adults. I just wanted to see if Rebels was in that category. I've seen no evidence that it is.

Mara and I are adults. We like it.

Good for you?

I didn't much care for kiddie content even when I was a kid. I haven't developed much of a taste for it since. But if you like, that's nice. I enjoyed seeing the McQuarrie concept artwork being used for characters and backgrounds. But the plots and characters' personalities are not interesting to me. That's despite the strong Firefly vibe it has, too.

I tried it, don't much like it, but at least I can say I have an informed opinion now.

It's a kid's show, sure, but the focus on the McQuarrie art and getting the feel of the OT right makes me think Filoni and company are trying just as much to appeal to the old school type of fan. Whether or not they're successful is a totally different conversation. :)

Nailed it.

Caught another episode. Do TIEs have absolutely no instrumentation? Definitely aimed at children.

So you are saying you had to watch a bunch of episodes to figure this out? The fact that it's a cartoon on the Disney Channel didn't clue y in?

The Avengers animated series was on Disney XD, and the episodes I saw weren't bad at all.

True, but if Golden Corral catered to the habits of non-fat mofos they'd go out of business.

The only reason fans think they should be catered to is because they forget they were kids.

"'Star Wars' is for kids." is revisionist.

The films themselves have cross-generational appeal. Just look at the makeup of blockbuster lines in the 70's.

It was a lot of the licensed material that pigeon-holed it into the kiddie category, and what us now-adult fans consumed. I may bag on the Dark Horse material but at least they tried a variety of storytelling.

I suppose it depends on what you consider a kid in relation to Star Wars' original demographic. As a parent of a 16 year old I know he does not consider himself a kid, nor did I at his age, heck I didn't think of myself as a kid at 19 when my wife got pregnant and then we married at 20. Looking back I was definitely a kid and consumed everything marketed to that demo accordingly. We all know what Obi-Wan says about point of views, so I know I am just holding to my perception here, but I have to think that liking something made for kids doesn't mean it's not made for kids. I also believe that the phrase Cross-Generational Appeal, which is used a lot in many places... not picking on Ryn... is just code for, "I like this thing that was made for kids." Of course there is nothing wrong with that.

With that said, I think this series is barely a shadow of The Clone Wars. I think that this series is equal to the Prequels and I think a reason that might not be noticed is because of the slight of hand with OT stylings, sounds and effects.

Side Thought: Except for the LEGO sets this new wave of Star Wars toys blows. Especially in regards to ships, which don't even have opening cockpits (I've seen the X-Wing and Falcon with this cheap production design).

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, but do you know what a skifter is?

Yes. A card that can change its value. An interesting idea; we should be able to make playing cards with e-ink soon, and then we'll have to worry about "skifters" in the real world.

I am beyond shocked there isn't a mobile app version that could handle it easy.

Somebody make it quick and rake in nerd-cash before Disney shuts you down, or maybe buys it off you.

Apparently it's been patented (electronic playing card, US 20080234024 A1), though that's not the same as being practical. E-paper the size, shape and thickness of playing cards? Not yet, but not impossible. The battery is the problem - you'd need an ultra-thin one, and wireless charging capability.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.