Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

HE'S NOT WRONG!

Thrawn is my least favorite thing about Rebels right now. I'm way more into shifty Mandalorians and former Sith Lords. I get they needed a villain that wasn't Vader, or a knock off of Vader, or a character from the movies we know the fate of-- but with Thrawn they've doubled down on the very things that made Zahn's trilogy fall apart for me. I've never, ever liked this sort of villain who has the power of having basically read the script they re a part of.

They do though? I'm actually enjoying him way more in Rebels because I feel Iike they do more to show his deductions. He's definitely my favorite part of the show, haha.

I also wonder how they're going to end Thrawn's storyline. I hope they don't kill him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. I'm hoping for him being exiled so they can bring him back later on in book. :)

I'm still hoping we see Pellaeon at some point, even if it's just a cameo. I don't think it'll happen, but he was definitely one of my favourite EU Imperials. Not a genius, not a super soldier, just a hard-working officer that's the backbone of any military, doing his best to keep things from falling apart and trying to maintain tradition in his own way. One of my favourite scenes with him is one of the first scenes, where a junior officer yells across the bridge at him about a contact, and he calmly responds and tells him off for yelling. That's the kind of officer I want to see, not the lieutenant we saw in the latest Fulcrum episode.

I don't like his type of villain when too many of the villains are like this, but I like him as a change of pace. We've seen consistently throughout the show that most of the Imperial officers are relatively incompetent and mainly are able to thwart the rebels due to the sheer discrepancy in numbers and resources. The main core Imperial we saw not like this was Tarkin.

The other main, consistent threats have been Force users. Aside from Vader and Maul, they were pretty solidly enigmas who always just ended up being present to go against Phoenix squadron and could stop them due to their Force use. I remember this being a plot point of figuring out how they were always there, but I don't recall how it was resolved.

To me, Thrawn provides a great counter to those types of villains.

There was a part just before they fought where Kenobi sensed something wrong with Maul. I thought the fight was very short and I'm not sure Kenobi actually struck him down or Maul was just at his end anyway. Like he'd existed only to get to that point and when he did he didn't have anything left in him.

To my mind Kenobi only destroyed his weapon. Then there was the end where Maul even had hope.

Strange and open to interpretation I guess.

He was a Force Phenomenon. He died when it was his time. The circle was complete.

BTW: If u watch the scene again Obi-Wan took Qui-Gon's stance after taking his Clone Wars stance. Then Maul attacked him with the same strikes as he did to kill Qui-Gon only for Obi-Wan to block all and defeat him. Very nice touch :)

I'm also glad the fight was brief because for Obi-Wan to have a prolonged fight would diminish his ANH self.

It was a very samurai movie style showdown, so part of me liked it. But yeah, more would have been cool-- it didn't have to be a bunch of flippy jumpy PT style stuff-- maybe just 3 passes against each other, instead of one, with more cool dialog between them.

Also-- Luke as the chosen one is apparently canon now?

My take on the Chosen One thing is that Obi Wan is wrong. Obi Wan believes it is Anakin, Anakin fails. Obi Wan can't conceive that Anakin will ever come back and be good. So at the point of this confrontation with Maul Obi Wan figures that they were wrong about Anakin. The Chosen One is going to bring balance to the Force, Anakin did not do this. He assumes that the prophecy was misread and that the Chosen One must be Anakin's child, because he's given up on Anakin ever fulfilling the purpose of the Chosen One.

However we ofcourse know that Obi Wan was wrong and that Anakin did in fact end up fulfilling the prophecy in the end.

BTW: If u watch the scene again Obi-Wan took Qui-Gon's stance after taking his Clone Wars stance. Then Maul attacked him with the same strikes as he did to kill Qui-Gon only for Obi-Wan to block all and defeat him. Very nice touch :)

I'm also glad the fight was brief because for Obi-Wan to have a prolonged fight would diminish his ANH self.

It was a very samurai movie style showdown, so part of me liked it. But yeah.more would have been cool...

Very perceptive on both your parts. You caught what the creators were going for in the duel:

But he wouldn't have if not for Luke.

The reason I stick with Anakin being the chosen one is because it seems that a major part of the prophecy is that The Chosen One would be born of The Force or without a father. This obviously applies to Anakin and not Luke.

I've never read EU, Im going from TPM. When Qui Gon is talking to Shmi when she mentions there was no father, Qui Gon takes notice. Now ofcourse most people would take notice of that, but still. Secondly when Qui Gon is reporting to the Council about him he says "its possible he was concieved by the Force" or something like that. Mace immediately replies "you refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.