Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

My only real complaint about the premiere/mini-movie/whatever it was was the scene with Vader taking on the entire squadron of A-Wings and the (capable of fighting back) transports. I know he was the best star pilot in the galaxy and all that, but that stretched "realism" a little far. Nobody's that good.

Otherwise yeah, I still think this show is great fun.

My biggest complaint was in the scene where he confronts Kanan and Ezra. He grabs Kanan by the arms and lifts him up off the ground, then tosses him to the wall like a ragdoll. Then he goes after Ezra. At that point I think Vader should've just killed Kanan, run him through with his lightsaber while he was holding him up helpless.

My only real complaint about the premiere/mini-movie/whatever it was was the scene with Vader taking on the entire squadron of A-Wings and the (capable of fighting back) transports. I know he was the best star pilot in the galaxy and all that, but that stretched "realism" a little far. Nobody's that good.

Otherwise yeah, I still think this show is great fun.

My biggest complaint was in the scene where he confronts Kanan and Ezra. He grabs Kanan by the arms and lifts him up off the ground, then tosses him to the wall like a ragdoll. Then he goes after Ezra. At that point I think Vader should've just killed Kanan, run him through with his lightsaber while he was holding him up helpless.
Yeah, I mean why wouldn't you want to end the series at the start of the second season? We're not dealing with Game of Thrones here where almost no one is off limits.

The problem with the "plot hole" is your assumption that you're projecting what Vader should have done. Vader is the big bad lord of the Sith facing Jedi for the first time in ages. Perhaps he sensed they were no match for him so he didn't take them seriously. For all of Palpatines' rambling about the Jedi's arrogance in ROTS, it was him and Anakin that walked around like their shit didn't stink.

Agreed. Vader and Palpatine like to play with their food. Watch The Clone Wars episodes with Maul and Savage vs. Sidious. Sidious basically plays with them for awhile, still totally dominating them...and then he decides he's had enough and ends the fight. I have no doubt Vader would have done the same thing if he hadn't been distracted with the AT-STs. As Kanan said, they were lucky to escape with their lives.

Inexcusable. It's been reduced to cartoon violence.

oh wait

One of my favorite cartoons is the 1990's Batman Animated Series, and the Superman one that followed to an extent. One of things that made those series so good was the way the creators treated the subject matter. The "cartoons" were treated seriously. Having Vader deflect Sabine's blaster shots back at her and hit her right in the face would be akin to having the Joker shoot Robin in the head and then having him just brush it off like it was only a scratch. If you establish this as part of your universe, it basically turns your characters into Wile E Coyote. Saying "it's a cartoon" is a cop out for bad writing or directing of this scene or whatever this is.

The age demo for Batman was tweens and up. Star Wars is expected to cover a much younger age range, which changes what sort of tone and violence they can get away with. Besides-- no one is ever EVER going to be able to top Batman TAS. That was just plain perfection. I was more just poking at you cause your complaints about Rebels always seem to boil down to it being for kids... when it's a cartoon on Disney.

Yes, Batman TAS was plain perfection. I get that Rebels, this being Disney and all, will never be pushed that way. Having Ezra be the focal point of season 1 established who the target demo was from the get go. Even the Clone Wars micro series from 2003 had an older age demo, what with General Grievous completely landing on and squashing a Jedi like a bug in his first appearance. I'm not complaining that this series is being made for kids. I'm only saying that for the scene in question, all they had to do was have Vader just block the shots, or if you're going to have him deflect them back at Sabine, no need to have one hit her right between the eyes. Have it hit her arm or leg, just like how Vader cut Kanan in their duel. A minor injury which doesn't do much in the way of violence.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
But my EU-loving heart fluttered over seeing the Interdictor cruiser. <3

The Force Awakens pretty much eliminated the concept behind an Interdictor cruiser with Han doing his daredevil "coming in low" jump past Starkiller Base's shields.

New canon says that gravity wells don't break ships out of hyperspace.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.