Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

In ROTS Yoda tells Mace and Obi Wan the prophecy could've been misread. So in reality the Jedi don't really know what being "the Chosen One" truly means. They speculate the Chosen One is of a virgin birth and that he will "destroy the Sith," but that's just their assumption. And it's completely wrong. In their set ways they think well yeah, Anakin will destroy the Sith and then we can go on with our fat and happy lives ruling from our ivory tower at the center of the universe. They were blind to the fact that bringing balance to the Force wasn't about which side wins.

There are subtle hints in the PT that the Jedi aren't exactly the good and pure warriors they picture themselves as. Qui Gon defies the Council's orders and questions their knowledge on the subject. In AOTC Yoda tells Obi Wan and Mace about "the flaw" in the Jedi, "too sure of themselves, even among the older, more experienced ones." Palpatine mentions "good is a point-of-view" in ROTS. All this is setting the stage that to achieve balance, both orders had to go. Which means Anakin is the Chosen One. He first destroys the Jedi Order, then he kills Palpatine and himself. By the end of ROTJ when Anakin dies, he is the last of all the old Force users we saw from Episodes I-VI, Jedi or Sith. Luke is all that's left, but he is not of the old ways. He learned to be a Jedi in a completely new way. He was very old when he started training. He knew who his family was. He had attachments to close friends. In a sense he had a little bit of both orders in him. So Anakin did fulfill his destiny. The Chosen One meant the Force was hitting the reset button. Luke was the culmination of that.

Not the Chosen One debate again.

Look, I know we don't like George Lucas much around here, and I know the franchise isn't in his hands anymore, but screw it, it's what he's always said and it's good enough for me: Anakin is the Chosen One. Like it or not, that's how it is. I myself may not fully approve of the official explanation, because it is a stretch, but I've never really had a problem with it. It has nothing to do with the size of the Jedi and Sith orders themselves. The orders are exactly that: orders. They do not own the Force. However, the Sith, for whatever reason (I know what the reason is, but I will leave it out of the discussion because, well, you know) tipped the balance in favor of the dark side and were keeping it as so with their continued existence and praxis. Anakin, though taking a rather circuitous path toward his destiny, destroyed the dark side's cancerous growth and restored balance.

I haven't seen the episode because I don't plan on watching Rebels until an end to the series is in sight, just as I binge-watched The Clone Wars (without throwing up, amazingly); but I saw a YouTube clip of the ending and read about it further online. I think this is a blunder on LucasFilm's part, but I am inclined to think it was more of a "certain point of view." Luke will indeed play an essential role in the fulfillment of the prophecy, but ultimately it was Anakin who carried it out by destroying the Sith.

Anakin is still the Chosen One, guys. Always has been, always will be.

Anakin is the chosen one. Mis-read the prophecy was. The Jedi didn't realise that he would have to go dark to reclaim the light.

As much as I love Luke, he was only ever a catalyst for Anakin to overthrow the Emperor. He was only ever the new hope, not the Chosen One. It always had to be Anakin. I say all this without diminishing Luke's contribution at all. As he was the one to bring his father back to the light.

You can understand that from Obi-Wan's POV that Anakin was lost to the cause. Yoda seemed to know a lot more about it.

So... do we think this season finale will be as good as the end of season 2s?

Shame they didn't use that last episode as the finale tbh. Would have rounded things off pretty well. Could a main charcater die I wonder? Or will Thrawn win the day?

Luke was that catalyst, more of less. The prophecy would not have been fulfilled without him. But Anakin was still the one who carried it out.

And I heard someone mention the Son of Suns prophecy. That would have been genius, but sadly they already wasted it on some stupid tribal chieftain on The Clone Wars.

I think the reason for the whole "Chosen One, Virgin Birth" was simply to start the story. Look at the sequels. Everyone wants to know who Rey's father is, who her mother is. Were they strong in The Force, why did they leave, are they still around etc. The prequels would have been exactly the same if Anakin had some unknown father. Who is it? where is he? why did he leave? Is he strong in The Force? By having no father and making Anakin The Chosen One, thats it. There is no father and we have the reason Anakin in strong in the Force.

Guest Robin

I strongly disagree with the idea that Anakin had to become evil to filfull his destiny. The Dark Side is a corruption of the Force and It's Will, it's illogical for The Force to corrupt itself to heal itself. That is Mass Effect 3 logic; I heard you fear AI will destroy you, so I created an AI to kill you before you could create an AI to destroy you.

I strongly disagree with the idea that Anakin had to become evil to filfull his destiny. The Dark Side is a corruption of the Force and It's Will, it's illogical for The Force to corrupt itself to heal itself. That is Mass Effect 3 logic; I heard you fear AI will destroy you, so I created an AI to kill you before you could create an AI to destroy you.

Well you can believe what you like.

As we don't have access to an actual copy of the prophecy we can only go on what happened. If the prophecy was fulfilled, then yes Anakin had to go dark to reclaim the light. The prophecy itself may not have mentioned it as such. If it was specific about that part then perhaps mis-read it wouldn't have been.

It conjures up a funny image of the Jedi packing him off with a red lightsaber and some yellow contact lenses and saying "See you in thirty years or so!"

Anakin didn't have to turn to the darkside first, thats just what happened.

For instance if someone prophesized that I was going to go to the store to buy beer I could go to several different stores, take several different routes and buy several different beers. I don't have to do it any particular way, but once I go to a store and buy beer the prophecy is fulfilled.

It's confusing because we were never told the specifics of the prophecy other than one will restore balance to the force. It took years after that for Lucas to go on record and say "balance" meant no dark side at all. All we knew, was that maybe a virgin midichlorian birth would be tied to it (never mind a scientific explanation for a theocratic prophecy). No other details were given.

In the OT there is no mention of it-- but Luke is considered the last hope.

Now we have Obi-Wan saying he's the chosen one.

You can't get more mixed messages than that-- so yes. It's confusing and unclear. It would have taken one scene ONE bit of dialog to lay out exactly what the prophecy was, but Lucas didn't do that. He wanted a miracle birth, so he pulled it out of his ass with no explanation-- which is kind of his way of writing as the PT is full on dangling plot points.

The mistake I think is assuming Anakin was chosen to defeat the dark side. He was chosen to restore balance, not to "defeat" one or the other. The Force is Yin/Yang. The dark side isn't a corruption of the Force, it's part of it. At the end of RoTJ, no more Sith & no more Jedi, the balance between light & dark is restored.

Yeah no argument there. But if I follow that interpretation of it then it's ambiguity doesn't bother me as much.

And I won't be surprised if they clear the whole thing up in the sequel trilogy - the first few lines of the trilogy already reference bringing balance to the force, sounds like a thread they'll address at some point.

It's confusing because we were never told the specifics of the prophecy other than one will restore balance to the force. It took years after that for Lucas to go on record and say "balance" meant no dark side at all. All we knew, was that maybe a virgin midichlorian birth would be tied to it (never mind a scientific explanation for a theocratic prophecy). No other details were given.

In the OT there is no mention of it-- but Luke is considered the last hope.

Now we have Obi-Wan saying he's the chosen one.

You can't get more mixed messages than that-- so yes. It's confusing and unclear. It would have taken one scene ONE bit of dialog to lay out exactly what the prophecy was, but Lucas didn't do that. He wanted a miracle birth, so he pulled it out of his ass with no explanation-- which is kind of his way of writing as the PT is full on dangling plot points.

Someone made the prophecy in the past, maybe a long time ago. It would be silly for someone to know exactly what it means and exactly what it portends. The Jedi don't know exactly what it means. Qui Gon seems to think it's a great thing they found this "Chosen One" while Yoda isn't too thrilled about it from the start. The characters in the story don't know exactly what the whole thing means, and thats more than okay.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.