Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

Guest El Chalupacabra

At the end of the day, I don't think Filoni, as much as I love him for giving me the Star Wrs prequels I wanted, has the balls to kill off his characters. He had the PERFECT opportunity to draw Ahsoka to a close, and didn't do it.

The sad truth is, in all likelihood, Rebels, like Clone Wars, will end up cancelled and the characters fates will be left a mystery until a lame book comes out years later to tells us what happened.

I hope you are wrong, but that scenario is all too possible. I have seen articles suggesting Season 3 is rumored to be the final season, too. The bright side to that rumor is there may be yet another animated series, also run by Filoni. But nothing is set in stone, and shows do get cancelled all the time with loose ends left a-danglin'.

In defense of Filoni, TCW was only cancelled due to the Disney acquisition. We likely would have seen a full Season 6 that would have tied some more of the stories up, and fortunately SWR has been a sequel series enough to do a lot of that. Whether that happens a second time or not, no one can say.

The sad truth is, in all likelihood, Rebels, like Clone Wars, will end up cancelled and the characters fates will be left a mystery until a lame book comes out years later to tells us what happened.

I don't see Disney letting that happen. They'll railroad the series forward in some shape or form because it's a way for them to keep the promotional train going and funnel in new younger fans. If it doesn't work out on the Disney Channel, they'll do something else like license it to a streaming service.

From an earlier io9 post:

Even beyond season three, Filoni and his team have the series all worked out through the end, whenever that may be.

“We have Rebels figured out all the way through now,” he said. “Even if things change along the way, I want to know where we’re headed in the story. That’s not to say the story can’t change as the characters reveal new things about themselves, but I need to know where the story is being delivered. If we’re telling a multiple season story, I want to know where this kid is going. Why does this kid exist for us? Why was Ezra so important we had to tell a story about him? And we’ve evolved that.”

I'd like to think that means they'll be able to wrap it up satisfactorily even if they have minimal notice.

The episodes I've seen of this are pretty good, I just hate the idea of characters who are clearly meant to be dead in the movies being brought back. I hated it with Boba Fett in the old EU, I hate it with Maul in this. It's just stupid.

That does take me out of it a bit, but ultimately I don't mind. Fett I can buy at least. Maul is a pretty tough sell.

As someone in a comments section I read after finishing the season said "It's [the movie's] fault for so criminally underutilizing such a tantalizingly cool character."

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think they'll also aim to end the show after 5 seasons and start a new series (possibly set after RotJ).

I don't know if they will go 5 seasons, but even before the show started, it was stated that it will be concluded after 3-4 seasons. If the ratings are there, I can see 5 seasons, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As I watched the premiere I wondered, what was the point of Obi Wan and Yoda hiding if these other Jedi are running around embarrassing the Empire and helping to create the Rebel Alliance?

I think introducing The Bendu is the answer to that question.

My prediction: Ezra becomes too powerful and dark, Kanan has to use the dark side to stop him doing something bad, and stops being a Jedi and becomes a Bendu.

In the end, Ezra has to be imprisoned somewhere, some how, and Kanan basically becomes a sentinel guard, thus removing them both from the Rebellion.

Also, Filoni got a promotion to head of Lucasfilm animation-- meaning more than one show is in in the works. Maybe next time he won't include Jedi and paint himself into a corner.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It wasn't, BUT the voice was done by Nika Futterman, who also plays Ventress, which is why you thought that.

I'm hoping it's Revan.

Or maybe Kreia. It would make more sense, and make a connection to Malachor V. She ran the academy there as Darth Traya, after all.

Guest El Chalupacabra

As I watched the premiere I wondered, what was the point of Obi Wan and Yoda hiding if these other Jedi are running around embarrassing the Empire and helping to create the Rebel Alliance?

I think introducing The Bendu is the answer to that question.

My prediction: Ezra becomes too powerful and dark, Kanan has to use the dark side to stop him doing something bad, and stops being a Jedi and becomes a Bendu.

In the end, Ezra has to be imprisoned somewhere, some how, and Kanan basically becomes a sentinel guard, thus removing them both from the Rebellion.

Also, Filoni got a promotion to head of Lucasfilm animation-- meaning more than one show is in in the works. Maybe next time he won't include Jedi and paint himself into a corner.

How did he paint himself into a corner? The tale is not completely told, yet. Unless you read or heard something we don't yet know about, that is.

Oh, he's in a corner, and the longer he takes to fix it, the harder it will be to buy.

He did it with Ahsoka in CW, and came up with the ex-communicated thing. He's all but said he can't bring himself to kill characters off, and I'd be shocked if a cartoon on Disney XD kills off two of its leads, one of them being a kid. Like I said above, he had the opportunity to complete Ahsoka's arc, and didn't by showing her walk away.

He's written himself into a corner by making two VERY powerful Jedi in an era where there are to be none.

I'm not saying he can't solve it-- but to do so will be a feat. He has to remove Kanan, Ahsoka, and Ezra from the picture, from both the pantheon of force-weilders as well as the Rebellion.

To say this show is canon, and give us people who could easily steal the spotlight from the OT heroes, means something has to give. If they were JUST rebels, I could by them off on other missions during the OT. But the fact they are swinging around lightsabers? They can't be there.

The Ahsoka dodge of saying she isn't a Jedi works in some ways-- as in taking Yoda's comments literally... but it doesn't change the fact that you have a HERO who can face off against Vader and yet doesn't. We know them to be true heroes, so for them to sit out the major offenses? To not train Luke when seeing his potential? Just doesn't gel.

It's a problem a lot of people have-- like LDH just posted as such.

That's a corner to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.