Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

Okay now that I'm back on a proper computer I can write a proper post.

Thrawn being in Rebels has been rumored for awhile. But Zahn being involved - and writing a Thrawn book to go along with it - is a COMPLETE surprise. The way they announced it during the panel was so artistically done.

As a long time EU fan, I'm thrilled by the level of care they have put into this and that they realize how much of a big deal this is. I can't wait to see the episodes (which premiered at Celebration as well).

And I need to know more about Wedge defecting from the Empire!!!! And who is with him!!!!!!!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Except for his lame assed, anticlimactic death, Thrawn wasn't what was wrong with the EU.

Thrawn as a character is interesting, and it is pretty cool they are including him. They need a formidable villain after having Vader.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't buy force ghost. She's not a Jedi and supposedly no one but Qui-Gon has mastered life after death yet.

I forgot about my post, and saw this. Sorry, disagree there. Filoni isn't afraid to pull from EU, and has done it quite a bit. Qui-Gon definitely isn't the first to have a force ghost. And who says you have to be a jedi to be a force ghost? Both Jedi and Sith have had them. Plus, the new preview hints at another force user faction, the Bindo (or is it spelled Bindu?), neither Jedi nor Sith. The Bindo (or Bindu) name could be a reference to Jolee Bindo, from KOTOR, who was a Jedi who left the order (much like Ahsoka), and became what is known as a gray jedi, who was neutral and not involved in the Jedi VS Sith conflict. Sort of neurtal-good. Maybe it will be revealed that Jolee Bindo is who started this Bindo group, and maybe Ahsoka joined that group.

Filoni cherry picks the EU (AND the old drafts), but for some reason the special ness of the force ghosts is something I think is sacred. But I could be wrong.

While I fully support the idea of playing up other Force-using sects beyond Sith and Jedi (the Bendu, the Ashla, the Bogan, The Nightsisters, etc etc etc) it's also giving Filoni an out. If Ahsoka, Ezra, Kanan, Ventris, Maul and whomever else is still alive all go off and become something else, then it gives them an out to not have to kill everyone by the OT to make Luke the last.

But that doesn't change the fact that heroes do hero stuff, and I still don't see them sitting out the civil war.

I've never been a huge EU guy, but I'm thrilled to see Thrawn become "real" so to speak. He was always my favorite thing about the books I did read.

I love where they seem to be going with him too, he comes across like a Star Wars version of Hans Landa from Inglorious Basterds.

The crowd reaction to his appearance in the trailer (and the cheers at the end) will never fail to make me smile. I only wish I could have been at the convention to witness it in person. Dave Filoni is a master troll.

They haven't broken out the panels from the livestream yet, but here's the link to the appropriate part of the trailer:

https://youtu.be/0EI8YxV0u2U?t=6h46m38s

It's a huge universe. 90 trillion people probably. Our movies so far are such a small slice of it.

During the battle at the end of ROTJ I'm sure the rebels had holding actions all over the universe to keep more reinforcements from pouring in.

Yes and no.

I'd love to see that. I would love to see ROTS from Ahsoka's POV so we know where/why.

If the Rebels crew were some special unit, I'd totally agree. But having Force-uers really tips the balance. Having potential Jedi in the known would make the Alliance leadership THRILLED.

Driver - Filoni has mentioned what Ahsoka was doing during RotS based on unproduced Clone Wars episodes. She was with Anakin and Obi-Wan during the Siege of Mandalore. The others got called off to rescue the Chancellor while she stayed. I can't imagine those stories won't get told in other media eventually. (There's an Ahsoka book coming out in October, but the Siege of Mandalore seems more suited to a comic.)

Guest El Chalupacabra

Filoni cherry picks the EU (AND the old drafts), but for some reason the special ness of the force ghosts is something I think is sacred. But I could be wrong.

While I fully support the idea of playing up other Force-using sects beyond Sith and Jedi (the Bendu, the Ashla, the Bogan, The Nightsisters, etc etc etc) it's also giving Filoni an out. If Ahsoka, Ezra, Kanan, Ventris, Maul and whomever else is still alive all go off and become something else, then it gives them an out to not have to kill everyone by the OT to make Luke the last.

But that doesn't change the fact that heroes do hero stuff, and I still don't see them sitting out the civil war.

Well, at least judging by the previews, Ezra is treading in some serious Anakin territory. He may yet flip. And with Kanaan being blind, well, he might not sit out the fight, but he definitely isn't the new hope. Fully able-bodied, he couldn't take on Vader. Blind, much less so. But that doesn't mean he, and the crew of the Ghost sat out the fight during the rebellion. Maybe they continue on with special missions, just not on the front lines, or to the magnitude, like the Big Three did. Maybe there is a story that is just untold there. It is a big universe (that keeps expanding...see what i did there :p ), after all.

I think if Ezra either flips, or is shown to be too unstable to use the force and ultimately has to give up using it or fall, and with Kanaan being blind, and Ahsoka possibly being blind, having them around doesn't take away from the special-ness of Luke. Luke is still needed. In fact, Luke is the only one with the power to take on Vader.

As for the topic of force ghosts, I also think they should be used very sparingly, and if they do use them (IE Ahsoka is a force ghost), they need to have a reason so important to the plot that they are needed. I think if Ahsoka did appear as one, and given she is basically Filoni's baby, it would be done in a very tasteful, and well written way.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It's a huge universe. 90 trillion people probably. Our movies so far are such a small slice of it.

During the battle at the end of ROTJ I'm sure the rebels had holding actions all over the universe to keep more reinforcements from pouring in.

Yes and no.

I'd love to see that. I would love to see ROTS from Ahsoka's POV so we know where/why.

If the Rebels crew were some special unit, I'd totally agree. But having Force-uers really tips the balance. Having potential Jedi in the known would make the Alliance leadership THRILLED.

THAT would be very interesting! It could be done in a flashback, or as Ahsoka's ghost recounting it to the Ghost crew or something like that.

As far as Jedi being part of the Rebel Alliance, yes they would be thrilled, but Kanaan is now damaged goods (same boat as Rahm Kota), and Ezra, like I said, is going down the path Anakin went. He may yet be able to fight off the dark side, but I think Ezra will end up either falling, or almost falling and realize the power of the force is too much temptation, and has to give up using it, to remain good. If Ezra does the latter, he can still fight as a rebel, just without the force.

At the end of the day, I don't think Filoni, as much as I love him for giving me the Star Wrs prequels I wanted, has the balls to kill off his characters. He had the PERFECT opportunity to draw Ahsoka to a close, and didn't do it.

The sad truth is, in all likelihood, Rebels, like Clone Wars, will end up cancelled and the characters fates will be left a mystery until a lame book comes out years later to tells us what happened.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.