Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

And then there's the jaunty Imperial March from "Empire Day", which is my favorite piece of Star Wars music in ages.

Next week's episode ("Gathering Forces") will be the last before the mid-season hiatus. New episodes will resume January 5.

I have a hard time understanding the preference for TCW over Rebels. Sure, everyone can like whatever they want, blah blah blah, but...Rebels is SO MUCH BETTER than TCW. TCW meandered through six seasons without a main cast and went back and forth in the timeline. They had no end game in sight, and tons of filler. Meanwhile we're only half a season into Rebels and even episodes like "Fighter Flight" have a purpose in the larger scheme of things. That's not to say Rebels is perfect, but I much prefer the narrower focus than TCW's jumping all over the place.

I'm really loving the show so far. The animation is kind of a step down in quality from what Clone Wars was doing, but it has a great heart that it was missing.

Now that we can look at it in retrospect, one of the issues with Clone Wars was that it was really scattershot. Each arc or episode seemed to deal with a different character, planet, or theme. Plus it was really restricted in that we already knew what would become of the main characters in just a short time frame. With Rebels, we kinda-sorta know the destiny of the characters in that they'll likely end up with the Alliance in some way, but we don't actually know what's going to become of them or how. Plus, each episode stays with the same crew and we get to learn a little more about them each time. It's too early to say if I like it better than Clone Wars at this point, but it's off to the kind of start that really makes that plausible.

Youse guys are crazy. This show is way better than the last one. And that is for pretty much one reason only and that is because the last show used all the ships, sounds, noises, etceteras from the Prequel Trilogy and this show uses all the ships, sounds, noises, etceteras from the Original Middle Trilogy. In all other respects (quality of plot, dialogue, actually the hand-to-hand action scenes strike me as a little better) there's no much real difference between them.

I like hearing that stuff too, but throwing music that sounds like OT themes and some tie fighter sound effects at me doesn't excuse it from all of it's other problems.

I don't want people to get defensive over one series or the other here, as me and Six have said, we're still sticking with Rebels. There are certainly some good elements to it.

But just as you guys don't understand how I can prefer the Clone Wars, some of the points you bring up about Rebels baffle me! You say TCW had no end game in sight, but Rebels does? TCW had the clearest end game there could possibly be in the end of the Clone Wars. lol I suppose Rebels end game is that they eventually start or join the rebellion and then the OT happens? At best, they are similar.

But how does Fighter Flight (an episode I liked, btw) have a grand purpose in the scheme of things? It had some fun back and forth between Zeb and Ezra and that's about it unless I'm forgetting something. You could make the argument that it was a filler episode as well.

I really feel the same about both series-- I feel like they were awesome when they were on it, but there were weak spots too. Neither of them was mind blowing. TWC wins out for me because at the very least it gave me an Anakin Skywalker that actually fit into what was established on the OT.

You could watch the OT, completely ignore the PT and still feel like you got the backstory of Anakin with TCW.

I have been enjoying the show so far. The Rex cameo was pretty cool. :D

BTW, did anyone notice in the Breaking Ranks episode, the cadets have pinpoint accuracy with their blasters (when they were trying to get to the top of that pit)? What happens to them after they become stormtroopers? :D

I blame the bloody helmets.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught another episode. Do TIEs have absolutely no instrumentation? And are TIE pilots absolute dolts? They fly at ground level, below the top of the local topography (what are those mounds, anyway), and have no radar to avoid them when vision is obscured? WTF? Why are TIEs being used in atmospheres, anyway? They're clearly designed for non-atmospheric operations. Who is writing this stuff, anyway?

The only reason to watch this show is for the McQuarrie artwork being used. Beyond that, it's really quite meh. Definitely aimed at children.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.