Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

midichlorians were a huge mistake and absolutely de-mystified the force. they existed purely because Lucas wasn't a good enough of a writer to come up with another way to "prove" Anakin's Jedi potential. Even he knew it was a mistake, as was the prophecy, as both were barely mentioned in AOTC and ROTS.

Agree with Mara about the Inquisitor--so far he's an intriguing character, with a ruthless elegance to him. Also agree about the spinning lightsaber being stupid, it just screams "we gotta sell some toys!"

There are moments where the animation bothers me a little, such as the beginning where Ezra is upside down but his hair isn't, but it isn't enough to detract from my enjoyment of the show. At this point I'm all in.

• 4 weeks later...

So after a larger sample size, what does everybody think of Rebels now?

I can sum up my thoughts in one sentence: I want to like it so bad, but I just can't.

I read the New Dawn book and it's so much better than the show. Kanan is actually likeable in the book. That character doesn't appear in Rebels at all. In the show he's just... there. And boring.

JC and I are now two episodes behind and we're not really feeling compelled to catch up. I'll let her offer her own opinion if she cares to, but to me it just feels like a generic kids' cartoon with a great big "STAR WARS" sticker slapped on it to trick us into thinking it should mean something to us.

It reminds me of Enterprise on a LOT of uncomplimentary levels.

it just feels like a generic kids' cartoon with a great big "STAR WARS" sticker slapped on it to trick us into thinking it should mean something to us.

I completely agree with this. With Clone Wars, I never really got the sense that I was watching a kids show per say. I know that was the target demo, but the plot lines were serious enough for me to get into it and care. But with Rebels, it feels very much like I'm trying to watch one of the other Disney kids shows and lying to myself that it's different because it's Star Wars.

The promise this show got me with was that we would stick with the same characters and learn more about them as time went on. While that may eventually be the truth, other than Ezra I have about 2 lines of dialogue for each of the other characters to tell me something about them. And even those are done in a very obvious 'THIS IS BACKSTORY PAY ATTENTION' kind of way. Nothing organic about it.

Kanan - Jedi somehow I guess? (Book details don't count.)

Hera - Pilot, no backstory at all. (Book details don't count.)

Zeb - Race destroyed by empire, but no personal backstory.

Sabine - was apparently in Academy.

Those are literally the only facts after 8 episodes.

They are trying to force feed us stand alone adventures but without the proper context for the characters, it is very forgettable.

Glad I'm not the only one that this show is missing the mark for.

With Clone Wars, I never really got the sense that I was watching a kids show per say. I know that was the target demo, but the plot lines were serious enough for me to get into it and care.

Agreed. Clone Wars had clunker episodes, but they also brought us some exceptional spaceflight and warfare animation, they let Ahsoka grow into a worthy three-dimensional protagonist, they brought some interesting shades of grey to Anakin (who was, to me, one of the worst things about the Prequels), and they pulled some kind of high-level voodoo that swayed me into liking an episode starring Jar-Jar. For that alone I salute them.

Rebels is still new and I haven't officially quit it yet, so maybe it'll improve on its own, and maybe I'll stop noticing how thinly budgeted the animation feels at times, and maybe they'll start building on the characters without expecting the audience to do supplemental reading homework. I hope their line of thinking isn't "We don't have to do characterization bits -- we're letting the books do all that work for us!" because that's a shoddy way to create a TV show.

The Clone Wars introduced The Ones.

Name one thing worse than that.

Fair enough, though there were worse episodes.

I find Ezras hair more offensive still. lol I thought it wouldn't bother me after awhile but the way it flops around like a clay toupee still gets me.

Rebels is still new and I haven't officially quit it yet, so maybe it'll improve on its own, and maybe I'll stop noticing how thinly budgeted the animation feels at times, and maybe they'll start building on the characters without expecting the audience to do supplemental reading homework. I hope their line of thinking isn't "We don't have to do characterization bits -- we're letting the books do all that work for us!" because that's a shoddy way to create a TV show.

Yeah, I'm not giving up on it yet. But as somebody who was completely excited about this show since they announced it in May 2013, it bums me out how I am feeling about it right now.

I'm sure it will get better and I'm sure they're not expecting people to read the book (or I'm assuming 'books'). Which is too bad because the book was great. I'm just not seeing any of that show up so far on the screen.

Youse guys are crazy. This show is way better than the last one. And that is for pretty much one reason only and that is because the last show used all the ships, sounds, noises, etceteras from the Prequel Trilogy and this show uses all the ships, sounds, noises, etceteras from the Original Middle Trilogy. In all other respects (quality of plot, dialogue, actually the hand-to-hand action scenes strike me as a little better) there's no much real difference between them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.