Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

Guest El Chalupacabra

The only thing they've done wrong by fandom is de-canonize the EU... which in a few years no one will care about save for a select few.

Not to mention that even though EU is de-canonized, it remains to be seen how much of it is actually disregarded. Some, I'd say a lot of it, may not necessarily be contradicted by the movies.

I've heard lots of speculation, from Augustus/Augie to Cos, supposedly taken from early drafts. In Darth Plagueis Luceno used Cosigna as Palpatine's father's name, and it was strongly suggested that Palpatine had the same first name but didn't go by it because he hated his father.

It would've been nice to keep it that way. There was really no need to know Palpatine's name ever. I don't even like calling him Sidious. He's just Palpatine.

But, anyway. At least his name's not Kallus.

I'll have to find my copy, but I think there is a preamble in the "Star Wars" novelization with the "Cos" usage. I don't know if that was retained in later printings or re-issues.

To clarify my comment, it seemed before that there was a certain sacredness to Star Wars that George Lucas wished preserved. Things like Palpatine's name and Yoda's species left a certain sense of mystery to the saga, and as such, these topics were forbidden.

I'm not getting the same feeling from Disney so far. I wouldn't be surprised if the revelation of Yoda as a Pupudu from the planet Pupodia isn't far off. Nothing is sacred with Disney. Star Wars is mostly an investment to them.

He also came up with Yaddle....

...and Elan Sleazebaggano, Finis Valorum, Wilhuf Tarkin, Savage Opress.

When you start making complete gibberish names up where do you draw the line between silly and serious? Sure, Sheev is stupid, but this is hardly a thing to suddenly use as evidence that Disney is OMG RUINING EVERYTHING.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't. My copy doesn't have it.

Sorry. I meant the 1976 edition. It has a "Soon to be a major motion picture!" starburst on its cover. Like explained here under the "Opening Scenes" header. Foster pulled details from earlier drafts, but I'm not sure if most are backed up by the Annotated Screenplays.

I have a 1976 or 1977 paperback. I don't remember Palpatine being mentioned at all until ESB. It has the Journal of the Whills preamble. Let me check it when I get home tonight.

Not in the story-- it was literally the first page, Journal of the Whills. It talked about the great Emperor being manipulated by his corrupt advisors.

Actually, that would make sense from an in-universe perspective. The galaxy adores Palpatine during the Clone Wars and his approval rating is very high. Then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, he begins to change drastically after his deformation at the hands of the Jedi. He becomes less likable and more tyrannical. Then all of a sudden these Moff guys start gaining power. From the perspective of a galaxy that is unaware of Palpatine's identity as the Dark Lord of the Sith, it is a conspiracy theory that makes perfect sense.

Actually, that would make sense from an in-universe perspective. The galaxy adores Palpatine during the Clone Wars and his approval rating is very high. Then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason, he begins to change drastically after his deformation at the hands of the Jedi. He becomes less likable and more tyrannical. Then all of a sudden these Moff guys start gaining power. From the perspective of a galaxy that is unaware of Palpatine's identity as the Dark Lord of the Sith, it is a conspiracy theory that makes perfect sense.

This is one of the reasons I hope the new Jedi Order gets rid of the attachment rule. The Jedi were a very insular organization, with few close relationships to people outside the Order (unless they were politicians or military folk). If more people had gotten a chance to actually know a Jedi as just a regular person, they wouldn't have been so quick to turn against them. When kindly old Chancellor Palpatine says the Jedi have threatened to take over the Republic, who are they going to believe--him or the Force monks who take babies from their families and don't have relationships with "regular" folk?

This is one of the reasons I hope the new Jedi Order gets rid of the attachment rule. The Jedi were a very insular organization, with few close relationships to people outside the Order (unless they were politicians or military folk). If more people had gotten a chance to actually know a Jedi as just a regular person, they wouldn't have been so quick to turn against them. When kindly old Chancellor Palpatine says the Jedi have threatened to take over the Republic, who are they going to believe--him or the Force monks who take babies from their families and don't have relationships with "regular" folk?

Naive. People will turn against friends and neighbors readily when told these friends or neighbors, possessing a power and set of abilities that no one else does, are a threat to their safety and society's stability. Even if everyone in the galaxy knew a single Jedi as a friend (impossible anyway, given the relative populations), that fact wouldn't protect the organization as a whole. Order 66 and the 501st Legion would've struck at the local neighborhood Jedi temples rather than just the central Coruscant temple. The fall of the Jedi Order was not simply the result of bad PR on the Jedi Order's part.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.