Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread

Mara Jade Skywalker

Watched the first 2 episodes. ehhh...

I WANT to like it... but I didn't really anticipate how much this is geared for kids. Right down to the lightening fast tempo of the show. I mean... if I was 12 again Id love it. Star Wars lore might not be enough to keep me involved in this. But ill keep giving it time.

They are re-airing Spark of Rebellion with a cameo by Vader voiced by the only person who should ever voice him:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-wars-rebels-lands-primetime-739422

I really hope the cameo is really just a cameo/extra scene. I really want Vader to be the show's trump card and don't want him showing up all the time. We'll see.

Agreed - the purge is something we just haven't seen much of which is a shame. I would quite like it if his Apprentice from the Force Unleashed games came into it. Sam Witwer looked like he was enjoying that role, but again it doesn't really fit in with the younger audience this show is aimed at.

Enjoyed the opening episode. Will catch the second one tomorrow.

You're missing out. Rebels is pretty awesome.

I need to watch Droids in Distress again.

But you thought the EU was awesome, so how can we trust your judgment on these matters?

Probably because the EU is awesome, usually? Unless you've read/played/watched a good portion of it, don't make such idiotic comments.

Agreed - the purge is something we just haven't seen much of which is a shame. I would quite like it if his Apprentice from the Force Unleashed games came into it. Sam Witwer looked like he was enjoying that role, but again it doesn't really fit in with the younger audience this show is aimed at.

Enjoyed the opening episode. Will catch the second one tomorrow.

Me too, but they won't. Space Aladdin's story overwrites it.

Holy shit, Z, you're saying I should have an informed opinion before spouting off on a messageboard? Well, fuck, I'd never have thought of doing that! Thanks for the tip. As it happens, I have watched, read, and played content from the EU. It is not up to my standards of quality, and I question the taste of anyone who says it's "awesome". That's excessive praise for what is typically mediocre content at best. The syllable "awe" is involved in my opinion of the bulk of the EU, but "ful" should follow it, not "some".

Do you have any idea how big the EU is? It's got a lot of crap, but a lot of gold as well, much like life itself. In fact, it contains some stories that are, in my opinion, better than the movies, and with more interesting characters as well.

Watching The Clone Wars, I recall seeing many of those episodes and thinking just how the hell the EU-haters at Nightly could think this garbage was so great, when the EU contained stories that blew those episodes away. Kinda makes me think most people haven't even been exposed to the EU, or have been exposed to very little of it, and are just hating for the sake of hating. Could be out of laziness or apathy. In any case, I have always been amazed (not in a good way) at the people here bashing the EU and then fawning over the cartoon. I just roll my eyes.

I'm not fawning over the cartoons. Clone Wars was not interesting or engaging to me, Rebels is not showing any promise in my opinion, and the Timothy Zahn books that unleashed the full spectrum of the EU appealed to my teenage self, but now I see them for the shlock that they are.

Caught up.

It's neat to see Star Wars'y things in production. I'm a sucker for that in general. It's definitely a "kids show" but A) does that matter? B) does that mean adults can't enjoy it? Not really and definitely not, I say.

It's not some high form of art, but I don't really need it to be. I've never ever understood the bitching about SWEU as though it isn't good enough. I'm not reading it because for its long term artistic merit and contribution to society. I'm reading/watching it because I freaking like Star Wars. That doesn't mean there isn't some great stuff in the EU, there definitely, unequivocally, incontrovertibly is.

Who knows what category this falls into yet. I can stick with it for a while because it's a 20 minute commitment per week.

So far though, I like it. ZN seemed to disparage it by calling it "space Aladdin," which is a definite vibe the first 10 minutes of the first episode gave off, but it left that behind fairly quickly I think. I'm interested to see the show develop as the characters all find their feet. Again, it's too early to make much of a judgment call on just about anything, but it's Star Wars and that alone is pretty neat.

I don't understand why people who like Star Wars would dislike the EU because it's too cheesy, hack-ey, or "shlock" or whatever. The OT is hardly cinematic genius and the writing is hardly literary genius. To try and invalidate Star Wars EU from an intellectual point of view is ****ing retarded because Star Wars is hardly intellectual. It's just SICK. (Sick as in fuckin rad)

I'm gonna try overlook the cartoon eyes, dodgy wookies, space Aladdin, and the orientation towards kids. It is what it is, whatever and doesn't reflect on the EU as a whole IMO which has some wicked stories.

I don't understand why people who like Star Wars would dislike the EU because it's too cheesy, hack-ey, or "shlock" or whatever. The OT is hardly cinematic genius and the writing is hardly literary genius. To try and invalidate Star Wars EU from an intellectual point of view is ****ing retarded because Star Wars is hardly intellectual. It's just SICK. (Sick as in ****in rad)

I'm gonna try overlook the cartoon eyes, dodgy wookies, space Aladdin, and the orientation towards kids. It is what it is, whatever and doesn't reflect on the EU as a whole IMO which has some wicked stories.

Interestingly, for me it's a bit of the opposite. When Zerimar talks about the quality of some stories being better than the movies I think (and he can correct me if I am wrong) he means that the craftsmanship is superior. While that is a matter of opinion, I have looked at a lot of EU books that try alternative forms of storytelling and/or points of view that are much different from the styles of the movie.

For me, this is part of the problem. The movies are the benchmark for me-- that style, that tone, that point of view. That's what started it, that's what I grew up with, that is "Star Wars." When a Star Wars book tries to go in a different direction than this-- even if it is more expertly woven than the movies (which isn't hard to do, let's be honest) my enjoyment of a possibly well-crafted story is ruined off the bat because it just doesn't feel right.

TCW may have been for kids, and the books may have done better, but it managed to be really close to what I imagined the Clone Wars era to be when I was a kid. It had the Star Wars vibe-- which the PT did not have.

I've also said this before, but I'm also a book snob. I read a lot of literary stuff, and even a fair amount of genre, but I've always found licensed spin-off fiction from any universe to be the lowest form of entertainment. Lower than airport fiction. To me, Star Wars is a visual story that belongs to on era while patterning itself after another, a that is what I love it as. It can't be literary genius based purely upon its definition.

I totally get that point of view, and I agree to the extent that some EU doesn't have the right feel. And the PT I agree doesn't feel like Star Wars either. But I definitely think there is some quality stuff in the EU that does have the right feel, and expands on the lore successfully.

But I was just mostly trying to rag on Pavonis' point of view cause I don't think you can paint the whole of the EU as crap with the one brush stroke. But you rationalise your point of view well and I can totally get where your coming from... and to a degree I agree.

That's interesting, Driver, and it makes sense. I grew up on both the EU and the movies, so reading Star Wars books just feels natural to me. It's as much a written story as a visual one. And I'm the opposite of a book snob--I hate hate hate literary fiction. I won't read anything outside of genre, and just want something with good characters, fast pacing, and preferably in outer space. And if I ever got a contract writing Star Wars books (or any tie-in fiction, really), I would be over the freaking moon. But I also started writing fanfic, and I enjoy playing in other people's sandboxes.

As for The Clone Wars, it was way too disjointed for me. Some episodes were great, others were terrible, and they went all over the place when it came to characters and style. I'm really glad Rebels has a smaller focus. (Ironically the original concept for TCW was following a master/padawan pair during the war. I would've loved that.)

I actually respect Tank's reasons for not liking the EU. His reasons are rational, well articulated, and not just, "I hate it because it's crap!" Thank you, Tank.

To take the conversation in another direction (but still off-topic, for which I apologize), the people who are happy about the EU's demise because it was convoluted and tedious: to them I say, well, what about this new narrative that Disney is building? Will it become just as convoluted and tedious in twenty or thirty years' time, requiring yet another reboot? What's the point?

...what about this new narrative that Disney is building? Will it become just as convoluted and tedious in twenty or thirty years' time, requiring yet another reboot? What's the point?

Let's hope it doesn't suck, yes, and another thirty years' worth of income. In that order.

A few privileged universes get to have continuous contunity, like Doctor Who or Doonesbury or those few remaining network soap operas. Everyone else gets shiny new reboots tailored to new generations, like Star Trek and nearly all the comic books ever and Battlestar Galactica and James Bond and Sherlock Holmes and Tarzan and so on.

Welcome to the club, old Star Wars fans. Our club's perks are terrible, but at least you can count on new merchandise heading your way.

The other reason for optimism this time around is, let's face it, George Lucas sucked as Continuity Overlord. So he'd sign off on any new book idea based off a one sentence pitch and never glance that direction again. That's why so much shit either contradicted each other or barely felt like Star Wars. You gotta feel like the new Overlords will do better than that.

Actually, he didn't even do that. Pretty much the only input Lucas had on the EU was at the level of not killing certain characters. They also told him about Luke's marriage (but not his son, if I recall correctly). On the base level, everything was left to LucasBooks and Del Rey.

It's actually still pretty much the same process, except this time around the Story Group is also involved and has more input on what books are written.

I'm waiting the inevitable contradiction/retcon when a new director wants to make a standalone film about something that's already been written about in the new EU. They can claim all they want that everything is going to be uniform, but you know it's not.

Also. Rebels! The second episode is on Disney XD tonight. Here's hoping the next episode is uploaded on the App right afterwards.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.