Rarity: Psycho Cop May Face Justice!

Pong Messiah

Warning: typical police behavior in following video.

Cop Logic 101: tell a man to get his license... then shoot him when he reaches into his car to grab his license!

Gotta love the "seatbelt violation" claim used as an excuse to harass and shoot the victim. Buckle up?

South Carolina Department of Public Safety Director Leroy Smith fired Groubert September 19th after observing the video and reviewing a report from the State Law Enforcement Division. In dismissing Groubert, Smith called the facts of the case "disturbing."
The charges filed Wednesday were brought by the Fifth Circuit Solicitor's office, which also reviewed SLED's findings. Groubert faces a maximum of 20 years in prison.

Disturbing indeed.

Thankfully, Jones was only injured by Groubert's psychotic idiocy. 20 years is probably too heavy, even for a shooty cop, but it's great the guy has been fired and had charges filed against him.

20 years is probably too heavy, even for a shooty cop, but it's great the guy has been fired and had charges filed against him.

I don't think it's too heavy for someone charged to fight crime. His actions undermine the legitimacy of every good officer out there.

20 years is probably too heavy, even for a shooty cop, but it's great the guy has been fired and had charges filed against him.

I don't think it's too heavy for someone charged to fight crime. His actions undermine the legitimacy of every good officer out there.

Agreed. It may be too heavy for an ordinary citizen, but cops should ALWAYS be held to a higher standard, and subject to more severe penalties when they break the law because of the power and authority they are given.

Agreed. It may be too heavy for an ordinary citizen, but cops should ALWAYS be held to a higher standard, and subject to more severe penalties when they break the law because of the power and authority they are given.

The fact that the guy will never be able to work in law enforcement and most likely spend some time in jail is enough for me. He's infamous, he is going to have to find a new career afterward.

If he had killed or crippled the victim, I'd be clamoring for the maximum possible sentence, but since that is not the case, I'm just glad this was dealt with so quickly, and not another case of "just put him on paid leave while the public forgets about it."

I'm not going to be upset if he doesn't get the max, but I still think that his actions warrant considering it. Based on the video and number of shots, I would say that the only reason the victim wasn't killed or crippled is because the cop was a bad shot.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I have to agree. Not only does the police have to be held to a higher standard, if Joe Civilian shot someone like that, they would be charged with the same thing.

Guest El Chalupacabra

He intentionally SHOT someone. It was not an accident, and is a case of extreme negligence. What he is charged with is correct, IMHO. As to what the judge decides he gets, if found guilty, that's for the court to decide, but it definitely should be prison time. Chances are even if it isn't plead out, and he is found guilty, the judge won't give him 20 years, anyway.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I do not think you are trying to put words in my mouth but just to be clear: I was not calling what this guy did an "accident," and I think he should spend some time in prison. All I'm saying is that -- in my opinion -- 20 years seems like too much.

No, I am not, Pong. Sorry. I was just clarifying my opinion, and explaining why I think what I do.....if the judge said 5 years, I am cool with it. If he said 20, I am cool with that, too. But I think he was charged correctly, and definitely needs to go to prison.

Oh and another thing, I don't hate good cops. In fact, I am of the opinion there are far more good cops, than bad ones. But that badge carries a lot of power, and while it should be respected, the police need to respect us as citizens, as well, and they should be held to an even higher standard than the average citizen. So if I seem harsh, that is the reason.

He intentionally SHOT someone. It was not an accident, and is a case of extreme negligence. What he is charged with is correct, IMHO. As to what the judge decides he gets, if found guilty, that's for the court to decide, but it definitely should be prison time. Chances are even if it isn't plead out, and he is found guilty, the judge won't give him 20 years, anyway.

I think the message sent given a harsh sentence is a cop must kill the subject so he can control the narrative. This can be a lesson to sloppy shooters.

• 1 month later...

I think cops have a difficult job.

Like most people, I work in the private sector. I have a bad day, scew up a little at work, company makes less money. I screw up a lot I get fired.

A cop has a bad day, screws up a little, he could lose his job and get him or someone else hurt. He screws up a lot, he could get himself or someone else killed.

Cops are held up to a higher set of standards than civilians.

^ you'd like to think so but that's not always the case.

Being a cop is a job and cops are just people. So you're gonna get good'uns and wrong'uns.

Unfortunately being a cop is attractive to people with deushey dispositions and I guess they make the name for themselves

The job itself does attract deushey people, no doubt. However, the job can get dangerous, possiblly involving firearms and split second, reflex decisions with the adrenaline pumping. Hesitate and you could be in danger. Act too hastily someone could be in danger. You have to be tough and strong without going too far. You have to be strong, brave and intelligent under duress.

I am glad I have a job where I sit behind a desk, mostly talking on the phone or typing on a computer. And when it gets tough I can always take a coffee break. I don't think I could handle being a cop.

The job itself does attract deushey people, no doubt. However, the job can get dangerous, possiblly involving firearms and split second, reflex decisions with the adrenaline pumping. Hesitate and you could be in danger. Act too hastily someone could be in danger. You have to be tough and strong without going too far. You have to be strong, brave and intelligent under duress.

Very true.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.