21st Century Predictions

RamonAtila

Never say never, Pavonis. There could be something to astrology. It could be useful to explain to future civilizations how dumb we are and how little we know.

That old chestnut - "how little we know". Right, because we've not learned a damn thing ever. Santa Claus isn't real, so anything and everything we know could be wrong! Up could be down! Left could be inside out! Atoms might be little bowling balls orbiting miniature suns! Oh my god, we don't know anything!!!1!eleventy! Ironically typed on a product of the triumph of quantum theory and brought to you by the combination of science and engineering that we know apparently so little about.

In MY opinion, Pavonis, you seem to conveniently rely on gullible everyday horoscope readers and biased horoscope writing and less on what we DO know about M Theory to argue your stance.

From a dumb physics noob to a physics professor, I think you'd understand if I told you that gravity is the most controversial aspect of physics, or at least in the top 3. It's because we can never agree on whether man designs or if he is designed. And we probably never will! But M Theory is trying.

Tomayto Tomawto. It's like if you told me man creates cages to lock up a lion because he has the power, and I told you man locks up a lion because he is lesser and afraid of the lion. Could it be both?

What do you take me for? You think I'm the guy who'll tell you this astrologer will change your life? That the last page in the newspaper holds your entire fate and that there's only 12 possible fates divided among all the population? I AM NOT one of those guys that watches Ancient Aliens. I'm not a complete moron. Some ancient Egyptian thought it would be funny and cool if a man was drawn with the face of a dog or a bird, so he drew it. And today we make such a big deal about it. We got comic books, we discuss them. Does that make us idol-worshipers?

Why you gotta take me for an idiot? A giant rock like Jupiter making a ripple in this lake we call the solar system has NO effect on me? Really? I'm TOO SMALL? It wouldn't have more of an effect? And where does all the energy of this planet go? Don't you REMEMBER as a physics teacher our solar system is encased in an OORT CLOUD. Even worse it's like the ripple the lake water hit the broad side of a canoe and rippled its way back.

Don't try to use physics to prove I'm retarded. Physics is exactly what could be used to prove you're a pompous butthole.

Actually, Jupiter is mostly gas, not rock. That's Astronomy 101. You use a lot of words that I don't think you really understand, RA. I'm not sure what you think "M theory" (where M is supposed to stand for membrane, but "brane" is the typical abbreviation now) is for, but it has nothing to do with "whether man designs or is designed".

Guest El Chalupacabra

I have to come down heavily on the side of Pavonis on this one. While I am not saying science explains all, indeed it is just the beginning of our understanding, not the be all, end all, but astrology is superstition and nothing more and humans are just randomly assigning meaning to things they can't explain. Horoscopes are no more valid than the random fortune cookie. Descriptions about astrological signs, well, they can fit just about anybody. I accept that since moon affects the tides on Earth, it's POSSIBLE that in a way we have yet to explain that the gravitational pull MAY also somehow affect humans' brains (IE changing dopamine levels, how synapses fire, or whatever...I am not a physician), which could affect human behavior, but I do not buy just because Jupiter is at some random position when someone is born, that is going to determine that person's personality for life, be it love life, whether they are rich or poor, or their destiny.

"Rock" was a metaphor, you putz!

Jupiter's gravitational effect on earth may be "small" but it does exist and "can't be ignored". Article: http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=3396

Jupiter protects us from comets: http://earthsky.org/space/is-it-true-that-jupiter-protects-earth I bet next you'll be posting how stupid I am for suggesting Jupiter has arms.

And yes, like the Moon, Jupiter affects the tides: http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw63.html (even thought the effect is very small, so small I suppose it could be deemed not worthy of observation by the likes of you.)

So yes Jupiter affects the tides, and our bodies are made of 80% water, HENCE, Jupiter affects our bodies you jerk!

Look up what astrology is really about and USE THAT to argue with me....and stop hiding behind Lolita Luna and Mary Moonheart's "You will meet a tall dark stranger" claims in the back of the Times, because you're insulting YOUR OWN intelligence!

And this thread is called 21ST CENTURY PREDICTIONS! JESUS CHRIST!

I'll go first: I predict that the internet will create a decentralization of the population, radically opposite to urbanization in the 20th century.

We don't use metaphors in science.

So yes Jupiter affects the tides, and our bodies are made of 80% water, HENCE, Jupiter affects our bodies you jerk!

That doesn't follow. Tides are felt by large bodies of water like oceans, not by human bodies, no matter how much water is in them. You don't see tides in ponds, and they have much more water in them than humans.

Look up what astrology is really about and USE THAT to argue with me....and stop hiding behind Lolita Luna and Mary Moonheart's "You will meet a tall dark stranger" claims in the back of the Times, because you're insulting YOUR OWN intelligence!

Why would I want to know what astrology is really about? For amusement's sake? Astrology is as predictive as reading tea leaves or reading chicken guts. I'm sure I don't know much about the details of those "skills", but I know that there's no actual predictive power in them, so they're not worth learning more about.

I'll go first: I predict that the internet will create a decentralization of the population, radically opposite to urbanization in the 20th century.

That's nice. I predict that urban populations will grow, as most of the people who live in urban areas have no way to leave them, no matter how much they use the internet. There's no advantage in telecommuting for the poor urban youth demographic.

If you would just research astrology, you would know Jupiter(and the big planets') connection to us is so subtle the only way to record it is in several years' span at a time, not in everyday newspaper predictions. You would use Jupiter to analyze the decade, not your coffee break.

As for the pond, sure it doesn't have tides like the ocean. It doesn't move. The ocean MOVES. Our bodies MOVE.....dynamically like the oceans, and the big planets have something to say about it, is all.

It's not about WHY you would want to read astrology. You'd want to know about it for argument's sake. Or are you just here to annoy me? You came into MY thread, I didn't go to YOU asking you to change your life with astrology.

I don't understand what you were saying about a centralized population.

Of course I didn't understand. Well, jeez, of course I bet you you bet of course I didn't understand. Let's see if I understand, disadvantaged urban youth not being able to leave urban. Having grown up a disadvantaged urban youth, not only am I trying to maintain a mental image of you guys being Tibetan for some reason, I found the only reasons I wanted to stay in the city were a) it was close to important resources like college, and b)all my friends were there. Now with the emergence of the internet, you could study online (which I don see why it wouldn't get more popular,pffffffff look at the great work being done by the university of phoenix online) and we have social networking sites to be social and make friends. Why party with friends downtown on a Friday night when I could have fun with friends on nightly.net where I don't feel like a swordsman being backed into a wall by several others. ahem but you said of course I didn't understand. It's not so much I didn't understand his argument but more like I didn't understand why a growing urban population would have to stop the growth of a non-urban population.

I'm sharing my research with each rebuttal now! Go back and read! I feel like I'm being redundant taking up most of this thread clarifying that I am not talkin about what you guys are implying about me. But hey you want me to practically copy-paste you a wikipage or astrology for dummies give you a list of planets and the parts of our bodies they rule, and interpret astrologers' dramatization of these relationships and make it out all nice for you even though I said several times this is not what the thread is about SURE I get myself feeling all manly about it and do it tomorrow or some other. I'm tired and right now I need to man up and get sleep! The old shins are hell after a long day's work on a poor Aquarius.

If you would just research astrology, you would know Jupiter(and the big planets') connection to us is so subtle the only way to record it is in several years' span at a time, not in everyday newspaper predictions. You would use Jupiter to analyze the decade, not your coffee break.

No matter how subtle, real mechanisms and relationships can be analyzed and amplified under laboratory conditions. Astrology has never successfully explained or predicted anything any better than pure random chance would allow for. There's nothing to it. The gravitational influence of your next door neighbor is greater than that of Jupiter at its closest to Earth (by a factor of about a 100). It's a simple calculation - just use Newton's law of universal gravitation.

As for the pond, sure it doesn't have tides like the ocean. It doesn't move. The ocean MOVES. Our bodies MOVE.....dynamically like the oceans, and the big planets have something to say about it, is all.

The oceans move because of tides and wind. Ponds respond to wind, so they have waves, they "move". Ponds are just too small for tidal effects to be noticed, no matter how many "big planets" tug on them. Our bodies are likewise just too small for tides to do anything to them. Keep in mind the big planets are also fukcing far away, too.

You came into MY thread, I didn't go to YOU asking you to change your life with astrology.

If you don't want people to resond to "your" thread, why create it in the first place?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Kinda reversing myself here, but...

And yes, like the Moon, Jupiter affects the tides: http://www.npl.washi...AV/altvw63.html (even thought the effect is very small, so small I suppose it could be deemed not worthy of observation by the likes of you.)

According to this article, even the sun & the moon doesn't affect the human body in any measurable way. So I find it hard to believe Jupiter would either.

http://www.livescience.com/7899-moon-myths-truth-lunar-effects.html

I was tossing and turning in bed. I just knew there'd be something.

How could you say the sun and moon don't affect us. Without the sun and moon we wouldn't be alive! We wouldn't exist! The gravity of all the objects in the solar system is what binds our bodies together and what tears them apart. Okay, I get it. AFTER keeping us alive and helping us function in every way it does and limiting us in every way it does, the solar system has absolutely no effect on us.

Ha! You're a weird kid, RA.

Tides can have no effect on human bodies because the difference in distance between your front and back, or left and right, is minuscule compared to the distance to the moon, much less the Sun, Jupiter, or Saturn. Saturn's about a billion miles away, literally. Tides are only noticeable when there is a large differential between the gravitational pull on one side of the body and the other.

... you could study online (which I don see why it wouldn't get more popular,pffffffff look at the great work being done by the university of phoenix online) .

LOL! University of Phoenix is a joke. Online courses have a future, but University of Phoenix is most definitely not it. UP is a rip-off.

your body isn't BIG ENOUGH, agreed. there'd have to be two of you. and you'd have to reach around the sun and back to your double and back around the sun to you and vice-versa. Cause that's all astrology is doing with sun signs, relating ourselves to the sun. That's all religion does in any case. No-one is big enough to go head to head with Jupiter. that's why people lean politically. Literally, people lean. All that leaning weakens the body and then you die.

the whole point is your body isn't big enough. that's what makes the story

Why you gotta take me for an idiot?

Ah, honey, don't take it personally. He talks to all of us this way.

How could you say the sun and moon don't affect us. Without the sun and moon we wouldn't be alive!

I know very little about physics and space, but I'm interested in the things you're saying. I don't understand precisely what you're trying to say, though. Without the sun, we couldn't live-but I don't know I'd use the term that if "affects" us, especially when you're talking about it in the context of astrology. I also wonder if you're confusing astrology with astronomy? How, exactly, do you think any other things in space affects us?

When I was in my teens, I believed in astrology and predictions. Now, with even my very limited knowledge, I can't see any way it could possibly work the way it's said to. How could the positions of the planets in space when I was born help me predict when it's a bad time to invest in the stock market?

look, even then I'll have nothing for you guys because there's no unified field theory to connect relativity to electromagnetism. there's no common denominator. I talk about the relativity and you guys need empirical evidence of causality. I talk about electromagnetism and you guys say: "well, how is that supposed to be in the context of a storied life?" penises and vaginas. penises and vaginas. the whole world is made of penises and vaginas and then can never get along. Im sorry, folks, we cant get two ***holes to be penises and vaginas at the same time.

this thread is a failure.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.