21st Century Predictions

RamonAtila

http://www.shotfreeinmontana.com/ss2001/21stcent.htm

The link above is to a page of 21st Century predictions. These predictions are based on the astrological trends of the big or outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus, Pluto) The big planets in astrology are used to determine general horoscopes for the bigger picture of earth's population, whereas the small planets (Mercury, Venus, The Moon, Mars) are more for day-to-day week-by-week activity.

Tell me what you think of these predictions. I don't know what else to day. This kind of thing is more subject to personal opinion. Do you have any observations that could expand on the astrology? I love the subject on futurism. Ray Kurzweil (one of the creators of the internet) is prominent futurist and a personal hero of mine. He predicted that artificial intelligence would reach parity with human intelligence by the 2040s and that it's very difficult to see beyond that right now, which makes it an event horizon for futurists.

However, the page I linked above takes a stab at it using the horoscope. I don't know what nightly folks think of astrology. You'll probably chase me out the Lyceum with pitchforks, but it would be interesting for me to hear your opinions nonetheless.

CAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN, you nerds cant be shying away from a little future talk.

Astrology is absolute bullshit. How exactly is the position of the planets and moons and stars supposed to influence behavior or events? There's no mechanism, no relationship except whatever "connections" human brains conjure in the effort to see order where there is really chaos. There's no fukcing way - astrology is just an excuse to blame "the stars" for our choices and actions. People who believe in astrology are brain dead.

As for Kurzweil, he's a jackass. He's as good a prognosticator as Nostradamus, but then, anyone can be good when you make "predictions" so vague that they can't help but be interpreted "correctly" eventually. Or when he makes such broadly obvious "predictions" that all you can think is, well, duh.

I don't know how informed your statements of Kurzweil are, if you even know the list of things he predicted that came true at the time it came true. The guy helped create the internet, is at the forefront of the development of the latest technologies, so it's only natural he'll have some understanding of the schedule beforehand of these technological capabilities being made available to the everyday consumer. I bet you don't even have any idea of the list of things he's invented that you use everyday and take for granted. His predictions are not vague at all. The man studies mathematical patterns, not witchcraft. I bet you have no idea what you're talking about! You probably would've called Edison or Einstein a jackass if you were alive at the time, cause Kurzweil's right up there with them and you have no idea! Wait, maybe first he has to be dead and then you'll actually look up his accomplishments. That's it.

As for astrology, I understand a little more. I wouldn't say the cosmos influence human drama, but rather the entire universe works in synchronicity. What is observed above is reflected down below, which I guess would require a better understanding of quantum physics and string theory, which I don't have so much anyway. I like to use lunar cycles to explain astrology. The moon is full, the tides are high, you have more activity from fish. We're something like fish. With a fuller moon comes a rise in blood pressure. Higher blood pressure brings higher tension and higher human drama. If you start paying attention, you'll notice nightclub attendance is higher on a full moon, just like fish people tend to go out more. I get people telling me they understand our relationship with lunar cycles, but don't believe we have a relationship with Jupiter or Saturn. (and I really don't see why)

I bet you have no idea what you're talking about! You probably would've called Edison or Einstein a jackass if you were alive at the time, cause Kurzweil's right up there with them and you have no idea! Wait, maybe first he has to be dead and then you'll actually look up his accomplishments. That's it.

I assure you, I have a far better idea of what I'm talking about than you do.

What is observed above is reflected down below, which I guess would require a better understanding of quantum physics and string theory, which I don't have so much anyway.

My understanding of quantum theory far outstrips yours; I teach this stuff for a living.

With a fuller moon comes a rise in blood pressure. Higher blood pressure brings higher tension and higher human drama. If you start paying attention, you'll notice nightclub attendance is higher on a full moon, just like fish people tend to go out more. I get people telling me they understand our relationship with lunar cycles, but don't believe we have a relationship with Jupiter or Saturn. (and I really don't see why)

Citation needed. If you want to use science to make your claims, then you have to put up some evidence, or let go of a faulty idea. And that's as nice as I can be to someone who believes in astrology.

You're telling me? I was about ask YOU to cite one of Ray Kurzweil's hokey predictions. Fine. I say he's hero, I think I know the man's accomplishments, but whatever.

The fact that you teach quantum physics does not impress me. I look up what the whole world is researching and the whole world is at a primitive stage researching M theory, so what the hell do you know more than everyone else. You're not even readily available to talk about the moon's effect, so much you know about physics. Our bodies are made up of 80% water. You need a citation for that?

That's about as nice I could be to someone so arrogant.

Our bodies are far too small for tidal effects to influence us physiologically. If you think there may be a psychological link between lunar phase and human behavior, by all means feel free to post some articles. Psychology is a nice soft "science" and I'm sure you can find all kinds of justifications for believing whatever you want if you look long enough. Doesn't change the physics of the situation. The planets cannot influence human behavior. Belief in astrology is an abdication of personal responsibility.

http://www.shotfreeinmontana.com/ss2001/21stcent.htm

The link above is to a page of 21st Century predictions. These predictions are based on the astrological trends of the big or outer planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus, Pluto) The big planets in astrology are used to determine general horoscopes for the bigger picture of earth's population, whereas the small planets (Mercury, Venus, The Moon, Mars) are more for day-to-day week-by-week activity.

Tell me what you think of these predictions. I don't know what else to day. This kind of thing is more subject to personal opinion. Do you have any observations that could expand on the astrology? I love the subject on futurism. Ray Kurzweil (one of the creators of the internet) is prominent futurist and a personal hero of mine. He predicted that artificial intelligence would reach parity with human intelligence by the 2040s and that it's very difficult to see beyond that right now, which makes it an event horizon for futurists.

However, the page I linked above takes a stab at it using the horoscope. I don't know what nightly folks think of astrology. You'll probably chase me out the Lyceum with pitchforks, but it would be interesting for me to hear your opinions nonetheless.

CAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN, you nerds cant be shying away from a little future talk.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/astrology.html

Pavonis: I won't be able to deliver what you're asking for. If I had a UNIFIED FIELD THEORY to prove the connection between astrophysics and human behavior down here on earth I would be more famous than Ray Kurzweil, Thomas Edison and Albert Einstein combined. That is everything these physicists are trying to do! But being a physics teacher bet you already knew that!

Look, it's like if you're gonna talk about the possibility of life on other planets. It has yet to be proven! But we still talk about it! You gotta entertain the idea in order to talk about it. If that's too much for you, I'd rather have some complete brain-dead retard morons like me on board to talk about the subject at hand, the subject I presented, which is 21st Century predictions.

And can somebody PLEASE explain to me how to do Quotes! This is killing me!

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't put much faith in astrology myself. I do think that people can "believe" in things strongly enough to make them happen, however. The one kind of prophecy that I do very firmly believe in is self fulfilling prophecy.

Agreed! That, and there is such a thing as retro-active prophecy...where people extract "meaning" after an event, and try to shape it to fit "prophecies" or religious texts. If there were such a thing as prophecy, people into Nostradamus would have actually known how to prevent certain events from happening (IE Napoleon, Hitler, even 9/11). Identifying a prophecy after it happened is about as useless as wet toilet paper.

A correct unified field theory still wouldn't justify a belief in astrology. A UFT would explain the nature of the fundamental forces as various aspects of one field, much like charge and magnetism are different aspects of electromagnetism. If UFT is ever developed, and there's no reason why it would ever be successful, it still wouldn't justify blaming the stars for your actions.

Astrology taps into something-- when I see birth charts of people that predict their personality down to perfect detail it's pretty freaky. That said, anything based on a calendar can't be called an ancient or practiced science given that how we currently measure time can be counted in centuries. Calendars have changed many times, this alone says being born at a certain time effects anything is a bunch of junk.

"Every newspaper in America, with very few exceptions, has a daily astrology column. Astrology is bunk. Astrology is fraud. How many of them even have a weekly science column? Why that disproportion?"

-Carl Sagan

Astrology is bullshit. Don't waste any time on your life with it. It's snake oil, superstition, capitalizing off people's hopes.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think astrology is a flawed lens. But I think there's something about stellar masses, gravity/gravitation, plasmas, "cosmic web," etc. etc. with interconnectivity and effects we don't yet understand at this scale.

Maybe to the extent that the crazies always seem to come out during a full moon, but that is about it, IMHO.

Yes, that's a start. Or, the most convenient example. But there's animals with senses far beyond our present human scope, and react to the natural functions of our environment. Many of us have intuitiveness and other baser responses that aren't fully explained or understood by science. Is that a terrestrial or near-terrestrial phenomena or is exponentially grander? We're liked to be reminded how insignificant we are on a cosmic scale but the fact that we can recognize that and try to understand it is still remarkable. That's where I think astrology is when compared to more modern life sciences.

I think astrology is a flawed lens. But I think there's something about stellar masses, gravity/gravitation, plasmas, "cosmic web," etc. etc. with interconnectivity and effects we don't yet understand at this scale.

This is what I was trying to say-- there's a science we don't get yet, not astrology

I'm of the opinion that the whole concept of dark matter is just a scapegoat created by astrophysicists to account for what they can't explain. It's a cute way of saying "we don't know shit."

This is what I was trying to say-- there's a science we don't get yet, not astrology

I'm always, let's say, intrigued, by the people who love to point out how much "we" don't know yet when they don't really grasp or appreciate how much we do know. There's nothing to astrology, and there never will be. There's no link between the position of a planet within a random arrangement of stars that we call a constellation (created purely out of our imaginations) and human behavior. And there never will be. It is not "science we don't get yet" it's just human imaginations grasping for some meaning and blame or credit in a life and Universe dominated by random chance.

Yet many believe human behavior can influence a planet.

Not that I believe in astrology. I just love mocking human induced climate change.

That would be a separate discussion, though, wouldn't it? I could point out that there's no natural process that would release and combust all that petroleum we've pumped out of the ground in such a geologically short span of time, but we wouldn't want to get sidetracked from the important issue - mocking astrology and its believers.

I'm of the opinion that the whole concept of dark matter is just a scapegoat created by astrophysicists to account for what they can't explain. It's a cute way of saying "we don't know ****."

That's how neutrinos were discovered though. They were a purely mathematical solution to the apparent breaking of the law of conservation of energy. "Oooh, how about there's a particle that's practically massless, and swarms and swarms of them can pass through lightyears of lead without noticing it's there, making them practically impossible to detect, but they're real!" Sounds crazy, but they are real, and they were predicted before they were discovered. That's how science works.

If you read the introduction to Malcom Gladwell's Outliers, and the discussion about how kids born during a certain month were so much more likely to excel in hockey, you can easily see how otherwise smart people might put credence into things like astrology. OMG Kids born in January are stronger and great at sports! Kids born in July are immature, but fun-loving! No reason, it's just the sign they were born under!

Of course the phenomena was not affected by the position of the stars, but the fixed date of hockey tryouts: it's simply physiological development plus human nature. Kids born furthest from the cutoff will be naturally bigger, stronger, more coordinated -- yes, under 15 years of age, just a few months can make a very big difference. And every coach wants to win, wants to be known as the guy who taught the next "great one," so they'll naturally pay more attention to these more advanced kids, give more encouragement and special instruction -- generally go further out of their way to help them succeed. Thus the issue is compounded, the gap between the haves and have-nots made wider, and generalizations about athletic kids being born during certain parts of the year take root...

If we were to take the time to investigate the traits assigned to people born under certain "signs," I bet you'd find a pattern emerging in the parent's diets, behavior, and environment that can be tied to weather, activities, etc... available to them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.