Mom in jail for helping daughter have an abortion

Pong Messiah

I just don't buy the blanket statement that anybody who buys any drug using the internet is stupid.

To the point of the thread, I get the woman legally put herself in the position of physician but she's the girl's mother. Doesn't her participation indicate consent?

I can understand charging her with endangering the welfare of a child (maybe) and dispensing drugs-if SHE bought the pill and not the daughter. if the daughter bought and took the pill-how could they possibly charge the mother?

This whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me-I feel like we're missing something. Nobody died, the girl miscarried. Why four felony charges? It seems like overkill to me.

The answer is yes because simply "thinking" what you are buying online is legal is not enough.Its just like if I go and buy some brass knuckles which are illegal in a lot of states and countries and buy a pair where they are legal and its found on my person by the police in a state where they are illegal then I am in trouble. If this medication was banned in the entire country then I have a hard time believing the mother didnt know this.

You cannot plead ignorance and expect to win in a court of law. Face it mom wanted to go the cheap route on an abortion and the hospital is obligated to report o ossible criminal activity and possible abuse.

This is true. If she tried to order something like painkillers or antibiotics from some random site on the internet to give to her kid, would we be having this same conversation?

No, because that would be irresponsible. She might hurt her daughter.

But you have to look at the big picture. You can't just "tough out" a baby. You have to get rid of it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

But why is sucking a fetus out with a shop vac at your local Planned Parenthood, the morning after pill, or doubling down on birth control pills to induce a miscarriage not illegal, but RU486 is? Seems a case of illegality on technicality, and prosecution seems to be elective, and selective.

Not that I am a big abortion supporter or anything, but 18 months in jail 3+ years after the fact? How does that solve anything?

I definitely think she got too much time, but she did break the law.

As for why this sort of thing is illegal it comes down to the protection of the consumer. They don't want people to bypass the consultation of a medical professional before using potentially harmful drugs.

But why is sucking a fetus out with a shop vac at your local Planned Parenthood, the morning after pill, or doubling down on birth control pills to induce a miscarriage not illegal, but RU486 is? Seems a case of illegality on technicality, and prosecution seems to be elective, and selective.

Not that I am a big abortion supporter or anything, but 18 months in jail 3+ years after the fact? How does that solve anything?

Medical supervision.

It solves NOTHING-that's sort of my point.

The answer is yes because simply "thinking" what you are buying online is legal is not enough.Its just like if I go and buy some brass knuckles which are illegal in a lot of states and countries and buy a pair where they are legal and its found on my person by the police in a state where they are illegal then I am in trouble. If this medication was banned in the entire country then I have a hard time believing the mother didnt know this.

You cannot plead ignorance and expect to win in a court of law. Face it mom wanted to go the cheap route on an abortion and the hospital is obligated to report o ossible criminal activity and possible abuse.

Yeah-you're right.

Medical supervision.

It solves NOTHING-that's sort of my point.

None of those items are illegal. RU-486 isn't illegal, getting it illegally is illegal. And there are legitimate health reasons for doing so.

I wouldn't buy ibuprofen from an untrusted source. Why would I risk buying something more extensive?

• 1 month later...

Ordering any prescription drug online is illegal and dangerous. You can't ORDER rx drugs. "Hi, I'd like a hydrocodone with a side of clonazepam please." those are pill mills. The DEA shuts those down and puts those quack doctors in jail. IF they are even inside the US. If not, it's outside the FDAs jurisdiction, so roll the dice and take your chances with those. They MIGHT not be dangerous.

Ms spam is confusing this with mail away pharmacies, using the Internet to legally fill prescriptions using legit scripts issued by legit doctors who actually saw a patient in an office visit.

The girl's mother in this case is guilty of being stupid. A smart person would have purchased Plan-B over the counter the day after she had sex. The mother could have bought it for her, hell anyone over 18 could have bought it for her. The underage girl would have needed a doctor to write a prescription for it.

The dumb young girl waited too long for emergency contraceptive; it's a 72 hour window. She was probably scared, or uneducated on the matter, in which case I blame the girl's dumb mother (again). Talk to your kids about sex and pregnancy. Talk to your doctor about your options. Don't just buy stuff online!

stupidity landed her in jail. Nothing more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.