Day in the Life of

Driver

So I know a lot of you outside of nightly, and I know what you do for jobs, school, etc. But every now and then one of you busts something out of left field, like Reese suddenly doing home-schooling. Or I wonder what sort of things you do to pass time, or how and when you decide to post on nightly. Or sometimes, with a few of you, I wonder how you can act like a normal person to the outside world.

Everyone should post an hour by hour breakdown of their day!

Watch Mr. Mom

My life and my schedule is seriously not that far off at all. Been ogled. Been to taken a strip/dance club, unknowingly until there. Evil-Eyed my wife's overly friendly male co-workers. Got yelled at. Grew a beard. Got out of shape. Got in shape. Got back out of shape. Settled on a shape. Watched daytime TV. Been an absent-minded dad. Stopped being an absent-minded dad. etc.

My son is now a college sophomore, my wife and I have another convention in two weeks (our sixth so far this year), she's getting over bronchitis, I'm spending a couple weeks hurting myself by watching all the TV pilots, and it's now been a year since I last got to play video games so that part is maybe the saddest.

I play video games every day. Here's how I manage it;

School Day

5am wake up, coffee, breakfast, news

530am PS3

6am wife & teenager up, make breakfast

615am back to PS3

715am kids up, make breakfast

845am walk daughter to school, little sons in tandem stroller

915am shower

925am dishes, sweeping, mopping, dusting, vacuuming, make beds, if needed do laundry, tidy or clean bathrooms

10am figure out dinner, start defrosting, continue cleaning duties

1030am make lunch

11am lunch clean up

12pm tidy toys, story time for youngest two

1pm nap time for youngest, LEGO or play dough for second youngest, PS3 or TV for me

3pm depending on dinner start thinking about prep, nap time over

330pm get daughter from school

4pm suddenly remember I left laundry in the washer, depending on dinner start cooking

5pm dinner should almost be ready

525pm wife comes home, dinner meat should be resting

530pm dinner time

6pm TV time, either a cooking show or sitcom

630pm, tubby time

7pm TV time, sitcom or drama

730pm pause show, get dessert (if kids are good)

8pm tidy toys, rooms ready for nighttime

820pm sometimes PS3, other times another TV show

9pm story time, ask about dreamlands, kids nighttime

1030pm remind teenager to get sleep

11pm pass out

Weekends differ slightly, no set wake up times for anyone but me (always up by 5am, often earlier). Flexible nap time for youngest based on planned activities, meaning the baby can sleep in the stroller or car seat if needed.

I listen to music and podcasts a lot during cleaning. I sometimes listen to sports radio or history channel during cleaning/cooking. I check Facebook and Nightly on and off via my phone... usually sitting on the toilet. lol

I try to give myself 2 hours gaming at night from around 10pm - midnight, and if I have days off and there is something worth playing I'll smash out quite a few hours. It brings me too much joy to give up. That said often I'm too exhausted to game with work and college 7 days a week.

Average day--

9AM-- wake up, do emails and read news in bed

9:30AM-- breakfast; cereal at home, few days a week I'll walk to the corner for a breakfast burrito from the taco truck or have a bigger meal at the closest cafe

10:30-- head out to the cottage behind the house which is my office

11AM-- respond to all the emails I read earlier, check FB, twitter, nightly, and my fav websites

11:30-- "work"

"work" varies day to day, it used to be a variety of things, thankfully now that I'm a hollywood douchebag, "work" is writing. Writing consists of writing script pages; if it is a for-hire job I try to do 10 pages in a day , if it is my own work I aim for 10, will settle for 5 if it is slow going. Often times work is writing pitches, synopses. The only part of work isn't writing is meetings, I usually have 1 or 2 a week and it requires me to dress and drive somewhere, meeting and drive time is usually 2-3 hours. "Work" can also mean watching movies... for "research" purposes.

1PM I will eat lunch and watch my stories on iTunes or Amazon that aired the night before. Lunch is generally left over dinner from the night before... or I walk to the taco truck on the corner

2:30 or 3PM I will go back to "work"

6:00PM If the GF went into work at her office she'll get home around now, we'll make plans for dinner, realize we have no groceries, say we'll go buy them, but both squeeze in another hour of work

7:00 realize its too late to cook unless there is meat ready to grill, so we'll go to a restaurant (most nights.. we're really bad)

8:00 watch stories with GF that we both like

10:00PM read and/or sex

11:00PM GF usually crashing out, I will read another hour, or if I haven't hit my page quota I will go back out to cottage to work more

Usually asleep by 1AM

Mondays and Fridays I pick the kid up from school at 2:30. He comes home and does his homework and I try to be done working by 5ish so we can do something. On the weeks I don't have him, the former Mrs. Tank picks him by 6, or I take him to her.

On the weeks I have the kid I wake up with him at 7, have him to school by 8, and am back home to sleep a little more by 8:15; and he 8-10 time slot is usually reserved for board games or watching cat videos or reading with the kid, and I try to get done earlier with my work so he doesn't grow up with me sitting at a computer being his only memory.

Usually after I finish a big project I will ignore work time for a week or so and just play video games and watch popcorn movies all day until my GF comes home and shames me.

And if I am at my computer I generally check nightly ever couple hours.

Wake up at 6:45. Work from 7:30ish to 4:30ish (I am a public school administrator so my day is quite dynamic). Evenings are divided between homework, gym, watching random TV, interneting, and indoor soccer on Wednesday nights,. Bedtime is between 10 and 12. I have class all day and then go out on Saturdays. Sundays are for outdoor soccer and relaxing. Skiing will soon supplant previously mentioned weekend activities. I am fortunate to have the means to take regular vacations to keep my spirits up even when the days are long (next vacation is spending New Years in Paris).

Pick an arbitrary, random time of day, it doesn't matter which:

1. Play on computer. This consists of checking Facebook, Nightly, financial markets, and checking in with work (which could mean emails, reports, spreadsheets, etc.).

2. Smoke a cigarette.

3. Get a drink or some food item that doesn't require cooking.

4. Doze on and off.

Repeat cycle throughout the 24 hour period, never doing any single activity (sleep included) for very long. I work around the clock and I'm on a computer around the clock. Exciting, right? For excitement, you might throw in going to therapy appointments, walking across the street to buy cigarettes or groceries, working in my yard, talking to friends on the phone, and very rarely going out for fun. These supplemental activities don't happen daily though.

Two alarms go off at 6:30 AM - two alarms because I am too lazy to snooze them and it forces me to get up. At which point I check the cat food and water, start coffee and turn the shower on so I can get a hot shower.

7 AM I review all my lessons for school day and email required worksheets to FedEx/Kinkos store for pick up. They then copy the pages I sent so I can pick them up. I check to see if I have any conferences and set my fantasy football team and baseball team. Pack lunch for school.

7:30 AM leave. If I have to stop at Kinko's I try to leave earlier.

7:45 AM sign in to school in the teachers workroom, leave lunch in fridge and check in-box for passive aggressive inter-office memos, crap about insurance, requests for assignments from kids not in school for long periods of time and laugh at teachers waiting to use our two shitty copiers to print out worksheets for the day but then remember my method costs me money while theirs is free but they have to unclog paper jams twenty times to get enough worksheets for all the kids in their class.

7:55 get to classroom, turn on crappy Dell computer and fire up lame-o gradebook. Turn lights on. Check school classroom temp for adjusting and reorganize a little and change date on board to today's date.

8 AM kids that get free meals breakfast arrives in bags with childs name and kids start drifting in. I have to check off those that took a breakfast. Favorites are the juice with taquitos but we get a variety from the cafeteria lady. The kids on the free meal program eat in class before the first bell rings because the school cafetorium is set up as gym until 10 AM. after eating the kids can go out on the blacktop to play.

8:15 AM first bell rings. In five minutes we will start homeroom. We say the pledge, listen to the principal do todays announcements and I let my 5th grade homeroom wake up and get ready for school. I get ready for the lessons and take a roll, again. Hang the slip with absentees on a clip outside my classroom. I used to read books to them and ask them questions about their day. Since its the start of school mostly we've been working on little side projects like making a leaf with their names on it to put on the bulletin board that they can personalize or talk about papers that go home for parents to review and sign like class pictures day or insurance. Once school starts I'll read to them. Last year it was the Hobbit.

8:25 Class change. I get fourth graders and my fifth grade homeroom leaves to go to Language Arts teacher and gym classes. My fourth graders will spend the next two hours with me. We will learn maths and sciences with some geography. I work in a charter school so mostly we focus on the writing arts so my cores are incorporated into writing good sentences and working on those skills. I do another roll and post it outside my door on the clip while they do math/science journals. We then go over homework or the day before's worksheets and talk about any questions. This week for science we are working on identifying cloud types and formations so I took them outside and they got to lay on their backs and gaze at the sky and we talked about what they saw and had a pretty good time learning about natural cloud formations. I had them draw clouds and identify about 5 major types. We came back in and worked on fractions. The worksheets got used.

10 AM to 10:20 we get a recess. This week I had duty so I go out and most of the kids just play on the blacktop as we have no real playground. I usually check nightly and fb and such during this period on my phone. Foursquare is not as popular as I remember it back in the day and we just have one lone tetherball pole.

10:20 AM back to fractions.

11:45 AM to 12:30 is lunch. Kids go to converted gymcafetorium and eat and more blacktop fun. I usually sit in the classroom either posting or trying to get the morning grades entered in grading program.

12:30 the bell rings and kids trickle in to get ready to go to their next class which is either music or art. I get my work period for 45 minutes. I either go walking on the Museum reach, get some lesson plans knocked out, waste time here, or have a parent teacher conference or try to call parents to talk about something.

1:15 I get my fifth graders now that I had in homeroom. We work on math and science as well as some more geography. This week its rock formations and more fractions but now the fractions are harder. WAY harder. Talk to me about long division and oh brother...I take more roll and there is another journal that they have to enter in. For geography this week we are covering where different rock formations are formed and because of all the volcanic stuff going on in Iceland and Hawaii we've been talking about that.

3:15 dismissal. We are a really tiny school of K-8th graders so we have three busses that service our school. Most kids walk home and some have parents come pick them up as we are a charter school and vouchered kids come from out of district. I hang around and reset my class, work on retooling some worksheets based on what I saw from them during the class day where they may need more help or focus. Maybe another parent teacher conference or a meeting.

3:45 leave.

4:15 home. I either have to then go to Masters class or a second job to pay for Masters. So I pack a dinner lunch, get my laptop for school or my badge for work and head out the door.

on days when I go to Masters program I get home by 9:30 PM and chill and on days when I work the second job I get home at midnight. I am usually too tired to do anything so I sit with my cats and watch news or teevee and maybe do some chores like clean the litterboxes. Walk around my complex and get my mail. I get a snack and look over assignments for tomorrow. Curse the crappy grading program the school has. I do our Church page and have to update that with a daily devotional and news.

OH and I have a sick cat I've been taking to work because he needs eye drops every six hours and pills and I can't trust my neighbors.

Sure. I'll bite.

Alarm's off at 7:15. Snooze until 7:30. Theoretically, the wife and I take turns getting up with the kids. In practice, we're both up and it's more a matter of who's upstairs making sure the kids are on task and getting dressed and who's downstairs getting breakfast done.

Kids are out the door at 8:30, or thereabouts. Wife goes back to bed or to an appointment of some kind. If there's no shopping to do or appointments myself, I troll the internet, listen to random YouTube videos or play either Dragon Age or Battle for Middle Earth. Interspersed with that I'll haul baskets of laundry up and down stairs, or the like. I'm a creature of habit. Exercise desperately needs to be there more than it is.

I check local traffic around 11:20 or so. About 2 days out of 5 my route to work is gridlocked because of a car smash, at the same part of the freeway every time. When that happens, I must leave for work about 11:30, otherwise 11:45 or so. These days I park my car at the garage, then go to another part of the city to take over my bus about 12:40. But this can vary greatly.

The dog and pony show that passes for a public transportation system in my town keeps me occupied until about 8 p.m or so. Later these days because people in my city don't know how to drive, and I end up idling in traffic due to accidents. Routes and times will vary over the year, as we change every so often.

I'm home about 8:30 or so. Sometimes 9 at night. Read to the kids for a bit then they pack it in for the night. Get the minute by minute play-by-play from the wife about all the appointments and everything else that went on. I'll most likely have a bath and read after that, but come 10 at night or so I can't concentrate all that well. Another hour or so of the computer and I'm done for the day, unless other conjugal duties call.

I'm not sure where it's going now, mind you. Stepped off some uneven concrete after work yesterday and buggered up my right foot. Didn't think much of it at first, but I've been up with it off and on the last night and it definitely feels like I've done something kind of nasty here. Hope I'm not in a boot cast again because that's another month and a half or so of short term disability. This happened to me three years ago - slipped on the stairs and broke my left foot - and I'm not eager to repeat the experience.

Weekdays:

8am wake up. Have coffee and stare out the window at traffic below and weather. Used to couple this with a cigarette but I quit so not anymore.

8.55am catch the tube to college in Vauxhall where on the way I'll get another coffee.

9.30-12.30 I'm in the model room drawing. We take the odd 5 minute break for the model to stretch his/her limbs cause standing for 3hours every day in the same position for a month they start to hurt. I'll check nightly in these breaks.

12.30-1.30 lunch, which usually consists of a crappy sandwich from the supermarket or if I got a bit extra cash a decent one from a cafe. More coffee.

1.30-4.30pm Cast drawing room. A cast is like a bust or facial sculpture which we draw. The whole exercise is to be as accurate as possible. This applies whether in the model room or the cast room but the cast room is where you can really increase observational skills and accuracy. When I'm talking about accuracy I mean moving lines, facial features, tonal values and edges by the millimetre. So that what you draw is a black and white version of reality.

4.30-5pm go home (except on Mondays and Tuesday where I'll stay at college and kill a couple hours till 6.30)

6.30-9.30 pm (Mondays only) surface anatomy classes, looking at muscle groups, there functionality and mechanics, where they intersect on the body etc and how to draw them. Studying anatomy means drawing muscles. Over and over.

6.30pm-9.30 pm (Tuesdays) back to the model room for quick drawing. The evening is broken down into 6 five minute sketches, 3 10 minute sketches, then a 45 minute sketch. The quick drawing classes are great for gesture studies, and freeing you up to just focus on capturing the "feel" if you like of a pose. To get a good quick sketch that feels and looks accurate is extremely difficult and not many people do. But the more you do it the easier it becomes.

9.30pm home for food.

10pm- video games or film.

Asleep by 12.30.

Repeat this cycle every weekday. On Fridays I might allow myself a drink, as it's damn near impossible to draw decently with a fuzzy head. So Fridays are my nights where I might go for a pint or 6 with mates. Sometimes the occasional gig or party or whatever.

Saturday and Sundays I work in a cafe/bar 8 hours a day. Working hungover is no problem. Rather be shit and hungover at my job than while I'm drawing, which is doing what I love.

Days off don't happen until the college term ends for a couple weeks. I'm back to college next Monday actually which is exciting. Been off for a while over the summer.

6 am: Alarm goes off, snooze it.

6:15 - 6:30: Force myself to wake up. Check Twitter/Facebook/Email etc. on my phone.

6:30-7:15: let dog out, feed dog, get lunch ready, get dressed, leave for work.

8: arrive at work. Get water. Check emails. Figure out what needs to get done that day and how much I can procrastinate.

11:30-12:30 pm: lunch. Usually I eat at my desk or only take a half hour break in the lunch room. Occasionally I go out with co-workers.

12:30-4:30: continue "working".

4:30-5: Leave work. Check traffic on my phone and pray that I don't have to take the toll roads home.

5:15-5:30: Arrive home. Let dog out if I'm the first one home. Put stuff away. Wash dishes. Prep dinner.

6-6:30: Walk the dog or complain that it's raining and don't walk the dog.

6:30-7: Shower

7-7:30: eat dinner.

7:30: do any chores that need to be done, call mom or aunt if I haven't talked to them in awhile, watch TV, WRITE. WRITE SOME MORE.

9:30-10: in bed, watch House Hunters, check internets, sleep.

On Wednesdays I meet friends at Chipotle for dinner. Some nights I podcast, depends on the week and what we've got going on.

Weekends are spent doing chores, running errands, writing, and going to Disney World.

3:30am-alarms go off-3 for the next 3 minutes. Coffee's already made, clothes laid out in the order they go on the body.

3:40-4:30 am-drive to work

4:30-5:30-write news, set up a template to do live reports for the day, check out traffic issues, check in with State troopers and DOT workers, TV news

5:30-8:30-tell Seattleites how to drive and what happened as they slept

8:30-9:45-go to MOODmedia (ex-muzak) and voice phone trees, gas station pumps, overhead marketing in stores and commercials

9:46-10:45-drive home-maybe stopping along the way for groceries, therapy, gas or lunch with a friend. Fridays-drive up to Green Lake to have coffee and catch up with my BFF, Jackie, and walk around the lake discussing our problems

Home: have lunch-half the time, leftovers from dinner, the other half, a delicious sandwich. Pet kitties, watch a little teevee, check messages and head upstairs to my studio.

11am-2pm-voice anything anyone sent me, look for things to voice, rant on social media while waiting for things to load, check Nightly, Lando, Facebook, e-mail

2-do anything necessary for dinner-do house chores (cleaning, laundry, feed birds, water gardens, pet kitties)

3-4-ish-doubel check for voicework, send invoices

4-ish: set up coffee and clothes for tomorrow, check mailbox outside

the rest of the night: watch teevee, do the NYTimes and LA Times crossword puzzles, smoke dope.

between 6pm and 9:50pm-go the fuck to sleep.

12:15am-have hair eaten by retarded cat

• 6:30am - Wake up, breakfast, getting ready
  • 8:00am - Get to work, figure out what meetings or things aren't or aren't happening
  • 9:30am - Start to actually get a few things done
  • 11:30am - Lunch, usually either something I brought left over from the night before or the taco truck down the street. Sometimes just a Cliff Bar or healthy snack if I know I'm having a big dinner later.
  • 4:00 to 5:00pm - Head back home, depending on what's going on or if I carpooled with my wife that day.
  • 5:30pm - Get back to the house, get a few things done, fix dinner.
  • 6:30pm - Really depends on what happens at the spur of the moment. Either go running, go to the gym, or end up doing something with friends.
  • 8:30pm(ish) - Start settling down and watch a TV show or something.
  • 9:30pm - Play a video game for a half hour or so.
  • 10:30pm - Get to bed

Saturdays and Sundays never have any schedule, we're always doing something with family or friends at the spur of the moment.

Typical work day looks something like this.

530: Wake up, get ready, leave by 550

615ish: Get to work, eat breakfast, surf internet for a few before actually starting, internet intermittently throughout day

1130-12: Lunch

245ish: Leave work, home by 3

330ish: 30 minutes on the treadmill, shower

4ish: Kid wakes up from her nap, playtime

6ish: Dinner

8ish: Kid has us wiped up, turn on Daniel Tiger for her, read a bit

9ish: Kid goes to bed and if I'm not totally drained, read some more or do other necessary things (bills and doing it) before bed

Sounds pretty dull, but it's usually great. I'm not thrilled with my job and we have less money than I'd like, but those are the only negatives in my life.

I feel bad for all you early riser people-- but then I see how early in the day you're done with being responsible.

You ever go to the 101 Diner on Franklin, Driver? I love that place.

I used to go there more, fell out of routine for me-- but I have breakfast meetings there pretty often.

Krawlie and all of you that have internet at work. You suck. Stupid smart filters. My second job actually has wikipedia and google banned! BANNED. The reason, "educational material". WTF? But at my second job I can answer questions at answers.yahoo.com all day long because that and the main page for Bing are not banned.

I feel bad for all you early riser people-- but then I see how early in the day you're done with being responsible.

That's the winner for me, I have time to run errands if I need to, avoid rush hour traffic, and more time with Lyra this way. I got in the habit while I was still in school and just kept it, which actually works out if I start grad school next year.

Weekdays:
5 AM: Wake up, glare at alarm. Pump so boobs don't explode. Shower, pack lunch, make coffee.
6 AM: Wake kids up, run around like nut trying to get kids out of the door by 6:15. Husband gives baby a bottle of much more reasonable amount of milk (I literally make 4 times what he needs overnight. I'm worried I might kill him.)
6:39 AM: Leave house
6:54 AM: Get kids to daycare, criss-crossing harrowing parking lot full of 25,000 road-ragey engineers and machinists competing for 21,000 parking spots.
7:15 AM: Run to catch bus to work, carrying heavy laptop bag, lunch bag, purse, and breast pump.
7:30 AM: Get to desk. Work, interrupted by 3 visits to the Mother's Room to do my mom thing. Half-hour lunch break usually doesn't happen, just eat at my desk because the nearest cafeteria is a haul.
4 PM: Race to catch bus to daycare, because they're complaining the kid needs more milk.
4:30 PM: Finally drag all of the kids out of the daycare with dirty diapers, bottles, and yesterday all of the older kids blankets and spare clothes because one of her friends and teacher have lice. Sigh.
5 PM: Get home. Wrangle children, wash bottles, do laundry, prep bottles for next day (I have to write his name, the date, the amount on a color-coded piece of tape). Give baby a bath.
5:30-6:30PM Tuesdays and Thursdays: Go to Stroller Strides with kids. Get my me time.
7 PM: Eat dinner. Clean table and do dishes.
8 PM: Put baby to bed. Come back downstairs and glare at my husband to get off the tablet or his work computer and give the oldest one a bath. Finish pouring milk into bottles that are finally dry. Pack another bag of diapers and change of clothes if baby needs more clothes at daycare. Maybe take some time to Facebook if I get all of that done.
9 PM: Read book to daughter so that husband can do even more work from home. Usually fall asleep with her. (Side note: she needs to go to bed earlier because she is a GROUCH in the morning.)
10 PM: Husband wakes me up so that I can go into my own bed.

Weekends: Wake up whenever baby wakes up, go to Stroller Strides at 9 AM on Saturdays, usually get breakfast afterwards. Go do family activities (no more than 1/day). Older one still naps from 1-4, which is a blessing. Baby takes 3-4 naps, but they're only about an hour, max. We don't do a whole lot on weekends. See above schedule for reason why. I can't wait until this kid is done nursing. This weekend is shopping trip with a friend while husband and brother-in-law go to a soccer game, and 3-year old pictures for my daughter on Sunday.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.