Forever

ShadowDog

The pilot has been available on demand for a few weeks now so I just checked it out.

It's actually pretty damned good. It has a few issues, but the premise is exciting and fairly original, the actors are great, the characters interesting, and the dialogue is decent. They establish a story of the week format with an overall mythology and wove both together very deftly.

I have a feeling this show is going to take off and be popular.

It actually premieres this Monday night at 10pm, but you can catch it now on demand.

I haven't seen it so I won't judge.. but I wouldn't go calling the premise original...

Fox's New Amsterdam from a couple years ago had the exact same set up.

ABC actually did it themselves before with a show called The Immortal in 1969... which was rebooted in 2001 as a really bad Highlander rip-off.

I said "fairly" original. LOL

I watched New Amsterdam (which was horrible because the immortal kept referencing his immortality despite wanting to keep it a secret. This was supposed to be funny but was just annoying) and they were both set in NYC and the guy was immortal but that's where the series part ways.

There's a bit of Highlander in this, but only a bit.

Let me put it this way, under the heading of "there's nothing new under the sun" this is fairly original. LOL

I watched the pilot the other night, though I'm not sure if that's the official first episode. The black police lieutenant in the series will be played by someone from Orange is the New Black, but in the pilot she's played by a different, unremarkable actress.

The pilot was blatant Sherlock-meets-Sleepy Hollow cribbing, but it pulled a few clever tricks of its own, and Gruffudd is charming enough as a leading man. My favorite little thing about it: whereas in other works an immortal character is constantly ducking the authorities to avoid being turned into a guinea pig, Henry has already been their guinea pig in the past and harbors not-so-fond memories of it. I like that subtle tweaking.

Biggest qualm: Ms. Homicide Detective is really quick to take him on as a de facto partner and let him do ride-alongs after meeting just a scene or two earlier. As I recall, Abbie and Ichabod took a lot longer to reach that contrived comfort level.

Still haven't decided whether or not to follow it yet, but it's not bad, and definitely not the worst of this year's pilots.

• 4 weeks later...

Five episodes in and still kinda charming, though I fell asleep 15 minutes before the end of this week's, so I'll have to go finish that at some point.

Curiously, its ratings aren't great -- it's getting clobbered by Person of Interest and Chicago Fire -- but it's ABC's highest-rated Tuesday night show, just edging out Agents of SHIELD and thankfully overcoming the seriously weak 8 p.m. sitcom lead-ins that I'm pretty sure are ABC's lowest-rated shows right now. Hopefully when they die, they don't take Forever with them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.