Bread?

Ms. Spam

When you hunger for a sammich or you want to make toast or it is Sunday morning and you want to make french toast or have BBQ sauce you want to sop up, what bread do you keep in the house?

I totally just read the label on plain white bread for the first time. It never occurred for me to do this because it is bread. There is high fructose corn syrup in it! OMG!

So I've switched to this Orowheat bread called White Italian Loaf because it is made with true bread ingredients. Wheat is for hippies.

What bread do you eat in your household because I'm totally curious.

Sourdough for most toast, BLTs, grilled cheese and chicken sandwiches. Prefer Franz Waterfront Sourdough but if I want regular-size bread, La Brea Garlic sourdough.

Dave's Killer Good Seed or Blues for any red meat sandwich, anything with strong cheese or tuna salad.

Stale french bread for bread pudding or French toast.

Safeway on Proctor makes their own french loafs for their subs but they'll sell me one for 99cents-that for garlic bread with which to sop up Italian/tomato sauce meals.

Then I bring it home and make a sandwich with it and think "wtf was I thinking".

Same here.

Often wonder when and how I lost the taste for sandwiches. Used to love 'em. Maybe it's the lack of bread causing a loss of taste? English muffins are merely egg/cheese/hashbrown/bacon/hot sauce holders as far as I'm concerned. I never say "Damn, that was an amazing English muffin." Hot dog buns are the only other bread I can think of that I ever use, and again, more out of habit and to make picking up the other stuff easier than because OMG hot dog buns taste the best ever.

There's only one really reliable bread around here that has no fructose in it-it's a dark loaf. Not bad but the slices are too big to use two and too small to use one to make a sandwich, so I rarely buy it.

I haven't had rye in years. My grandfather used to eat pumpernickel.

Seth-how do you live without sandwiches?

It is all that corn syrup. No wonder I was so addicted to it. All those kids schools lunches!

Also, Evolence! I love love love tomato sandwiches!

Pumpernickel is great! I also loves me a cheddar Jalapeño loaf that Central market makes. Sourdough with turkey, provolone, tomato, lettuce and red onion is just the best lunch at school ever.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.