I just know Pong is going to watch this.

Ms. Spam

FDR was one of the greatest presidents to ever live (internment camps aside).

This seems to be a very curious position to take. Yeah, let's go ahead and ignore the fact that he ordered (by Executive Order no less, not even a law passed by Congress) that American citizens be rounded up, their property taken, and shipped off to concentration camps because they just look dangerous. No seriously, that was the justification. Or I suppose, as Lt. Gen. DeWitt put it (and I quote here), "A Jap's a Jap!"

Would you be so quick to just wave this supposedly minor thing away if Reagan had done this? Or Bush? It'd be a totally different story for you if a Republican had ordered it, and you damn well know it.

tl;dr

Teddy Roosevelt was a fascinating man, and clearly mentally ill. It would be hilarious/horrifying to see somebody with his baggage run for office today with the 24-hour news cycle. It can be hard separating style from substance in his presidency. Did he lay the groundwork for Taft (who was, by the numbers, better in some areas), or was Taft just that much more effective? How responsible is he for making the U.S. President into the bizarre kind of superhero we have today, and how much occurred naturally due to the growing influence of media and American power?

FDR... eh. No hate here currently, but if we lived in a perfect world without democratically elected politicians, I'd probably like him a lot more than I do.

FDR was one of the greatest presidents to ever live (internment camps aside).

This seems to be a very curious position to take. Yeah, let's go ahead and ignore the fact that he ordered (by Executive Order no less, not even a law passed by Congress) that American citizens be rounded up, their property taken, and shipped off to concentration camps because they just look dangerous. No seriously, that was the justification. Or I suppose, as Lt. Gen. DeWitt put it (and I quote here), "A Jap's a Jap!"

Would you be so quick to just wave this supposedly minor thing away if Reagan had done this? Or Bush? It'd be a totally different story for you if a Republican had ordered it, and you damn well know it.

Did 40s Democrat even mean what Democrat means now? Both parties have shifted quite a bit in the intervening 70 years haven't they?

I've heard people defend their party name for what it did way back in the past and it makes me wonder if they went back in time would they even recognize their party then.

Carrie, I'm willing to cut FDR some slack because of historical perspective. In the same way I cut Lincoln some slack-- a president who shit on the Constitution by declaring martial law, quartering troops with civilians, issuing an executive order to free slaves (against the Constitutional acknowledgement of its legality) without a Congressional law. And Lincoln is remembered as one of our greatest. Desperate times call for desperate measures. And nobody is perfect. Certainly mistakes were made, but I really value FDR's resiliency and willingness to try things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.