Education and creeping nihilism

Burt

• 2 weeks later...

I deal with this on a near daily basis as I troll social media, explaining over and over to people that their entire zeitgeist is built on lies because they take FOX Newbs seriously. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is how it works. A handful of people who actually "get it" hold fast and spread the word, and out of every 10 people who bite and engage you in conversation, maybe one or two will go away a little more enlightened, and of every ten people who wake up a few will start spreading the word on their own, and if they really do get it then they'll start enlightening other people. It would be all the slower without the open internet. Social media means the memetic process of getting an idea accepted by the mainstream can take months instead of years, and popular support can be drummed up in years instead of decades. Just look at Citizens United. Without the massive information campaigns made possible by Twitter and Facebook, It would probably be 2025(assuming mankind was still alive) before a bill repealing it reached the House.

What is this level of enlightenment you're speaking about? The way I see it it's all relative. You could see two guys fist-fighting on the street, and you may think they're limited but in their world it might be all they want. What's the right thing to do? Recycle? Save the environment, give to the poor? And how long until the world's wealth is balanced perfectly and everybody has the same amount of food and everything's fair? It may sound like a big deal to buy Hybrid today, but in a thousand years they may be so advanced they'd have no idea what you're talking abut and can't tell the difference. Maybe even what's heroic today may seem the opposite to the majority of mankind in the future. What if the story of us progressed so far you find out these vegan hippies eating kale tacos were the suckers because they were the brainless followers that cursed man even further into his self-imposed imprisonment?

It's a good start to be aware of lies in the media, but what step do you take next to make the world a better place? That sounds like when I was 13 becoming aware of all the lies and deceit, but 12 years later nothing has come of it. It's fun to meet someone new and smoke weed and talk about the lies...but what after? So many times I get to meeting someone new and talking about the zeitgeist then turns out they're just weirdos trying to get in my pants also. I also noticed now that I'm not a teenager anymore how many teens talking about the lies when they come from broken homes versus teens that came from good homes and were happier going along with it. They tend to be healthier, get laid sooner, be more dependable. Think about how much time is lost making the most out of life while you're sitting around talking about the lies.

What are these lies anyway? We're more racist, sexist, and greedy than we let on? Should be obvious. And the people in the news are the people bringing in the money and they have no time to waste loving the whole world. To me that should be obvious!

Now now, things are changing, though it seems just as many are changing for the worse sometimes. The biggest lie I was taught as a kid was that drugs were bad, and pot was this and that, but now it's legal medicinally in a dozen states and outright legal in two more. We're seeing the single largest increase in the minimum wage since the 80s. The "save the Earth" movement is gaining a new foothold. There's a pro-democracy protest in goddamn China. As for racism and sexism, I don't think there's been any kind of surge in that;in fact I'd say it's at a historic low, again thanks to the internet. It's hard to remain an ignorant bigot when you can talk to people in every corner of the globe and get to know then personally. Acceptance of varying sexualities and gender identities is likewise booming. Houses are being built by printers and we seem to be about ten years away from making stem cells and prostheses obsolete novelties by building whole organs cell by cell! The so-called Millennial generation just might have the inertia and will necessary to take the all-but-dead Flower Power movement over the edge and change the world. Hippy talk or not, it looks like it could actually happen this time. I wouldn't count on it, but we have one big thing over the 60s movement: the stuck-up fuddy duddies are about to start dying en masse. Just look at the political world. The Republican party can't hang itself fast enough, and the Democrats aren't looking much better. The two-party monopoly has lost it's hold.

Yes but how long after this boom will it take for things to calm down and then start right back up with society being openly territorial and vindictive (like in the days of our grandparents?) History has shown over and over that society goes through phases where everyone comes together to tackle a certain problem and after that they all separate and hate each other all over again.

And I hope what you said about racism and sexism is true. Maybe whatever descrimination that's left around is only residual and subconscious. I'm really hoping they don't mean to make all these orc and zombies look black or Arab or Hispanic while all the heroes are white.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.