Teen Titans live action series

Filthy Jawa

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/09/tnt-nightwing-teen-titans-tv-show/

I found Smallville hit-and-miss, never really got into Arrow and don't really plan to watch the new Flash series, but this actually intrigues me. Maybe I'll see if Gotham lives up to the hype.

I'm not super worried (pun intended, that is my superpower after all) about this Akiva Goldman issue. It's been a long time since Batman & Robin and a lot has been learned about adapting superhero comics for both the big and small screens. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now; A Beautiful Mind was a very well written film and I'm willing to give Schumacher a fair amount of the blame for those two Bat-monstrosities.

I think Teen Titans should be a movie. You can seed in relations to the newly established trio of Supes, Bats and WW. Since Affleck's Bats is older you can just have a Robin/Nightwing here that implies background without having to dedicate Bats movie screen time to it. You could use Affleck like Samual L Jackson's Nick Fury, have him pop in with mission briefings or whatever. The Rock is now Black Adam and we all know Captain "Shazam" Marvel is actually a kid so what more natural a place to put Billy Batson than with the Titans?! Could be the perfect substitute for a Superboy.

DC-WB is getting ready to use Legion of Superheroes as it's GotG answer, but that franchise repeatedly fails outside of the comic medium. Whereas Teen Titans has had a strong following on CN for a decade (three different series and versions to be specific), including selling toys. I think Titans is primed for the X-Men leap and it suits the desired tone for matching GotG.

DC-WB is getting ready to use Legion of Superheroes as it's GotG answer, but that franchise repeatedly fails outside of the comic medium.

It has had trouble in the past few decades in the comic medium, too. I've tried picking up some of the Legion books after a few of the various reboots and they've just never really appealed too much to me. The idea is nice, but it always seems to fall flat.

Yahoo! Starfire sexiness!

I think Teen Titans should be a movie. You can seed in relations to the newly established trio of Supes, Bats and WW. Since Affleck's Bats is older you can just have a Robin/Nightwing here that implies background without having to dedicate Bats movie screen time to it. You could use Affleck like Samual L Jackson's Nick Fury, have him pop in with mission briefings or whatever. The Rock is now Black Adam and we all know Captain "Shazam" Marvel is actually a kid so what more natural a place to put Billy Batson than with the Titans?! Could be the perfect substitute for a Superboy.

That sounds more like Young Justice than Teen Titan or even Titans as it later became. Although some rumors about the Dawn of Justice have mentioned Cyborg or Victor Stone as a cameo. And since the main reason Wonder Woman movie has been in te limbo for so long was that her origin and background are so fantasyfuelled and convulated, the Titans tv show )or TVitans as I will call it from now) will either have to replace her with another powerhouse (I always loved Little Barda from the Titans comics, eventhough short as her career was) or sidestep the issue entirely in Joker style from Dark Knight. Origin ? We don't need no stinkin' origin.

• 1 month later...

I just really hope they do all of these DC shows in a way that at least leaves it possible they can all exist in the same universe. I think that makes it all a bit more interesting. Someone from DC recently made a statement effectively drawing a line between the company's movieverse and TV shows as being alternate universes, versus Marvel's unified approach. That's great, makes sense and all, but only if the shows (growing in number by the day*) all truly coexist.

This doesn't necessarily mean mass crossovers or intertwined plot lines or anything. Given the number of networks involved, that would never fly. However, that isn't really necessary to give the illusion (or simple possibility) that it's all one world. Of course, crossovers, related plots, and even just mentions within another series are always welcome. We already have that with Flash and Arrow. Given the relationship existing with CBS, CW, and TNT, it should be possible to add Supergirl and Titans to that mix in some fashion.

Gotham and Constantine are fairly self-contained. Each has a different sort of feel and revolves (mostly) around things other than "the capes", so all that is really needed to preserve the illusion is for the shows to not get in each others way. Something that should not be difficult, given the differing subject matter. Here's to hoping they pull it off.

While part of me is in nerd-heaven, with all of the comic-based goodness on the small screen, another part wonders if just may be pushing it a bit. Marvel is going to have two shows and Daredevil will make three. DC currently has four shows already on, with Supergirl making five next year and Titans (if/when it happens) being a sixth show. That's not even including iZombie, which the masses will likely not know of its comic origin any more than they do The Walking Dead's. Still, on top of all of those shows previously mentioned, there seems to always be talk of more (such as The Spectre being a spinoff of Constantine). Plus, AMC will be adding Preacher and possibly (eventually) Thief of Thieves.

While not all of these are traditional superhero-type titles, I still have to wonder if this is awesome or over-saturation. With every new show made comes the increasing chance that it may suck. That will be a real shame if it happens to some beloved source-material that will likely not get another such chance for a long time. It seems "comic book show" is almost becoming a common genre unto itself, like "family sitcom" or "crime drama". That's a great thing, as long as they take the time to make sure that quality isn't sacrificed in the mad dash to compete in this network battleground.

The question is, will they?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Personally, Teen Titans should be a movie, done similar to GOTG.

And Darth Lohr, I think live-action superhero movies have officially become the new vampires and zombies, with regards to genre over-saturation in media.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.