2014 NFL Power Rankings (Week 1)

Lucas1138

The Colts should be higher, the Patriots off the list.

The Colts were about one drive short of beating the Broncos at Denver.

The Patriots could barely look competitive for 30 mins, but instead took every opportunity to whine about how hot it was like a bunch of social security eligible grannies. Brady is hurt, apparently playing on a numbed up leg, which now makes him less mobile than Christopher Reeve, the name on his jersey should be changed to Piñata. Gronk is playing scared and stiff, if he has to wear one more brace he may as well just apply for disability. The mountain of a man that Wilfork seems to be instead was proved to be made of marshmallow, because this supposedly elite run stuffer let the Dolphins run right over him. I don't know where all of Revis's mercenary money goes but evidently not to pay off the mortgage on Revis Island, he was beaten down by Wallace who previously scared no one in the league by averaging like 50 yards a game. Their number one receiver is a converted QB 7th round Hobbit who is playing spectacularly above his place but should not be forced into this position. The rest of the receivers are jags. The offensive line is a revolving door made up of guys that didn't once offer to help up their QB who they just watched get wiped across the ground like a mop. Their coach is a man who's heart once grew three times it's size only for him to rip it out and eat it. The Patriots are teetering on the verge of disaster. To right this ship will take tremendous effort and talent I'm not sure exists on the roster. I guess we'll find out soon.

The Colts should be higher, the Patriots off the list.

The Colts were about one drive short of beating the Broncos at Denver.

While your frustration at Tom Terrific and the boys is enough to sustain me for weeks, I have to disagree :) Much as I enjoyed watching Manning turn away naysayers for years with regards to the Colts "window" closing, I am going to give Brady the benefit of the doubt up until the point where I shouldn't.

The Colts were a long, long, long way from beating the Broncos in Denver. They were a drive or so short of stealing a game, maybe, but not anywhere near beating them. People point to the 2nd half defense as a reason for improvement but in reality here is how the defense fared in the 2nd half:

Drive one: holding penalty followed by two unforced dropped passes and a punt.

Drive two: Denver takes over on the two-yard line. Moves to the 24. Punts. Bad field position rarely leads to points.

Drive three: Denver picks up two first downs, moves to the 45, and Damayrius Thomas drops a pass on third down.

Drive Four: Denver rips off a touchdown.

Drive Five: Good possession here with a sack of Manning on third down to force a three-and-out. This was the best sequence of the game for the Colts.

Drive Six: Manning flat misses two wide open receivers forcing a three and out.

Six drives, one score and two credible defensive stops. All the while barely laying a finger on Manning, and now Robert Mathis ain't walking through that door.

Basically the only reason I'm keeping the Colts and Pats on the list is Luck/Brady. They'll win 10+ games and their divisions. One of those two teams will be the 2 seed in the AFC.

A list like this is hard because Seattle is the best by a wide margin. They are the most complete team since the Cowboys under Johnson. Sometimes you do something like this in tiers, the Seahawks get their own tier right now and there might be another empty tier before you get to the 2nd best team.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.