Chris Benoit's Tragety

Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ5x0LNO2qI

Christopher Nowinski has actually studied Chris' brain and other professional athletes with severe cases of concussions and it's almost proven that the trauma to his brain caused him to snap. I mean, we came to that conclusion a long time ago, but it's interesting to see some finality on it (more or less). Makes you think about a guy who's finisher was a diving headbutt, right?

I don't understand the hype about head injuries in sports. Did we NOT KNOW that shoving your head into things/people/the ground repeatedly MAY CAUSE INJURIES? WHY is this a thing all of a sudden?

Because head injuries usually don't lead to a double homicide. Suicide, sure, but not wiping out your entire family. Plus, it's ind of an eff-you to everyone who were quick to blame steroids or drug abuse. Not that this is any better, but it does create more awareness to this degree that wasn't there before.

I don't understand the hype about head injuries in sports. Did we NOT KNOW that shoving your head into things/people/the ground repeatedly MAY CAUSE INJURIES? WHY is this a thing all of a sudden?

Back in the day the impact of head injuries was not taken too seriously. In football the term was "he got his bell rung" and then just sat out a few plays before going back in. Not anymore. The evidence is impossible to ignore, so now when a player goes out with a concussion they bench him for the rest of the game (if not more).

Frankly I think the NFL, WWF, and the rest of them were fully aware of how bad concussions were for years but the lack of scientific proof meant they could turn a blind eye to it. From there standpoint toning down the violence would have a negative impact on their product, so why give a sht? When you look at the negative feelings people have towards the NFL's "player safety" bit you can see why.

Given the amount of concussions on record and the fact that very few of the lead to violence, I don't know how conclusive the study is. I honestly think that it's a factor, but not the only one. Wrestlers crash and burn far too frequently, and in very similar fashion.

It's a combination of head trauma, excessive physical strain, exhaustion and stress from the performance schedule, and sadly, more often than not, drug use is a factor. Whether the usage was an immediate factor (roid rage) or not, it can still effect you. Eddie Guerrero was clean for a long time but still died of complications from all the stresses he put on his body over the years, including drugs.

People like to have a clean solution, and answer to why, in cases like Benoit-- but you couldn't convince me otherwise that there were half a dozen factors leading him to do what he did.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.