Article: Why Episode VII Will Suck

Zerimar Nyliram

An older article (from last year), but still poignant.

"Even if you're one of those people who showed up at the midnight premier of a Star Wars movie, possibly dressed in Jedi robes and carrying a plastic lightsaber, the day will come when a Star Wars movie, a ****ing Star Wars movie has been released in theaters that you not only don't dress up for, not only don't see at midnight, but that you don't even bother seeing at all. Episode VII probably won't be that movie, but one of them will be . . ."

http://www.filmbagger.com/starwars7willsuck.html

Thoughts?

Not just an angry nerd, but also somebody who has a deep misunderstanding of business practices. Also, he think Disney is about using Star Wars to sell merchandise? Pretty sure that George Lucas was a gazillionair even before he sold Lucasfilm because of licensing the living shit of Star Wars.

Interesting article, but his jaded sour-puss attitude was draining by the end there. The whole build up he had about merchandising and money didn't really relate to his predictions as to WHY its gonna suck. If Disney could smash out the absolute best film they possibly could, and blow everyone away...thats gonna sell a whole lot more toys than what a mediocre film could. Shit, if they make the films good enough then ADULTS will be buying themselves action figures from Disney too.

Plus he was off with his prediction about Guardians of the Galaxy so....

But I guess its good to always have a counter hype here and there to balance things out.

Of course Episode VII is going to suck. We've been hating on Star Wars films for 15 years. That's a hard habit to break. In fact, it was probably a bad idea to release any Star Wars films after ANH in 1977, and I'm not sure that even releasing that one, widely considered the least terrible one, was a good idea, since it caused all these terrible Star Wars films to be released. Frankly, if Lucas hadn't made Star Wars in the first place, we'd be better off, I think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.