Police shot Ohio man ‘on sight’ as he leaned on toy gun in Walmart

Pong Messiah

http://7online.com/archive/9440401/

I'm just going to leave this here.

The problem lies in poor training, a lack of diversity in police departments, and the ridiculous notion that police can police themselves. Cops SHOULD be held to higher standard of conduct, but they aren't.

Police being dishonest with no regard for the person's life they're about to screw over? Unthinkable!

Blaming anything on a "lack of diversity" (at least in terms of race, gender, and sexuality) is for intellectually lazy people with emo hangups. Agree with everything else one million percent though.

Blaming anything on a "lack of diversity" (at least in terms of race, gender, and sexuality) is for intellectually lazy people with emo hangups.

Not really. It's a BIG problem that police departments in the US often do not mirror the racial and ethnic makeup of the communities they serve. A mostly black city with an almost entirely white police force is going to cause a lot of racial tensions, and serves to fuel distrust and resentment between the police and the citizens of a given community.

Police departments need to be more diverse because they need to represent the people they serve. They need to be able to empathize with and trust one another, and that's the best way.

Blaming anything on a "lack of diversity" (at least in terms of race, gender, and sexuality) is for intellectually lazy people with emo hangups.

Not really. It's a BIG problem that police departments in the US often do not mirror the racial and ethnic makeup of the communities they serve. A mostly black city with an almost entirely white police force is going to cause a lot of racial tensions, and serves to fuel distrust and resentment between the police and the citizens of a given community.

Police departments need to be more diverse because they need to represent the people they serve. They need to be able to with and trust one another, and that's the best way.

Sort of. I think Pong was more denouncing a 'diversity for diversity's sake' type of mindset. However, I think in terms of representing and being drawn from the communities they serve, this is essential in law enforcement, and indeed in the overall effective management of a polity. There's this huge disconnect between people and communities of all kinds and the governments that supposedly represent, serve and protect them, and a mindset within those governments that authoritarian measures such as a militarized police force and massive prison industrial complex will keep the people in line indefinitely. How long it can last remains to be seen. The human cost will be staggering in any event.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The problem with a mostly black community is that it is roughly 50% women. Of the remaining men, roughly 50% of them are convicted felons. So that means only 25% of your community is even ELIGIBLE to be police officers. So what's a city supposed to do other than import some fine white men to keep the locals in line?

Well done, Evo. Sometimes I'm afraid to like your posts, because I think people will think I agree with you.

Sort of. I think Pong was more denouncing a 'diversity for diversity's sake' type of mindset. However, I think in terms of representing and being drawn from the communities they serve, this is essential in law enforcement, and indeed in the overall effective management of a polity. There's this huge disconnect between people and communities of all kinds and the governments that supposedly represent, serve and protect them, and a mindset within those governments that authoritarian measures such as a militarized police force and massive prison industrial complex will keep the people in line indefinitely. How long it can last remains to be seen. The human cost will be staggering in any event.

Essentially.

It's human nature that people will respond more positively in a confrontation with a person who talks like them, who looks like them, with somebody they might feel they share a background with. I get that. But it is of far more importance that the person is well-trained, fair, and doesn't choke, beat, or shoot them at the slightest provocation. It's not "lack of diversity" that is killing people; if you have a "diverse" group of low-skill thugs and ***holes, they're still thugs and ***holes. They just come in a variety pack now!

Jobs where people serve a particular community should take demographics into account when hiring, but it should be a much, much lower priority than a person's qualifications and psychological makeup. If it was that important, we'd be having a lot more killer cop issues in Asian-American communities, where recruiting enough police officers has been a problem.

I also take issue with the implication that people coming from different races or communities than the one they serve are going to be inherently less sensitive and professional. If the stereotypical 23 year-old Caucasian woman who "sees the world" by assisting relief efforts in some third-world country can improve lives, forge friendships, and help people who barely speak the same language without incident, a 35 year-old Caucasian man should be mature and open-minded enough not to suffer from culture shock in his own freaking country. Dial down the alpha authoritarian bull**** and confrontations a bit, and see what happens.

Well done, Evo. Sometimes I'm afraid to like your posts, because I think people will think I agree with you.

Pong, I think some people assume these types of posts are the product of a drunken or high mind. Nope, haven't touched anything in over a month. I can be fucked up without the booze.

Essentially.

It's human nature that people will respond more positively in a confrontation with a person who talks like them, who looks like them, with somebody they might feel they share a background with. I get that. But it is of far more importance that the person is well-trained, fair, and doesn't choke, beat, or shoot them at the slightest provocation. It's not "lack of diversity" that is killing people; if you have a "diverse" group of low-skill thugs and ***holes, they're still thugs and ***holes. They just come in a variety pack now!

Jobs where people serve a particular community should take demographics into account when hiring, but it should be a much, much lower priority than a person's qualifications and psychological makeup. If it was that important, we'd be having a lot more killer cop issues in Asian-American communities, where recruiting enough police officers has been a problem.

I also take issue with the implication that people coming from different races or communities than the one they serve are going to be inherently less sensitive and professional. If the stereotypical 23 year-old Caucasian woman who "sees the world" by assisting relief efforts in some third-world country can improve lives, forge friendships, and help people who barely speak the same language without incident, a 35 year-old Caucasian man should be mature and open-minded enough not to suffer from culture shock in his own freaking country. Dial down the alpha authoritarian bull**** and confrontations a bit, and see what happens.

I don't disagree with any of this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.