Secret Cinema - Back to the Future

Rogue 3

Some of you might have heard about Secret Cinema - they've been around for a good few years. Normal productions are top secret with people buying a ticket to to watch (usually) an unnamed film, with only the name of the town/city advised when booking. Closer to the time, the venue is revealed and a theme for what people should wear. They have done lots of classics like Bladerunner, Lawrence of Arabia, One Flew over the Cuckoos nest and so on.

This summer, they have been doing Back to the Future in London (not a secret this time, just the content of the event was all hush hush) and I understand they plan to do it in the US at some point as it's been a big hit. I went on Friday night - at the Olympic park in Stratford, they basically built Hill Valley! Everyone dresses up in '50's clothing, there are actors, classic cars - a proper event!

Arrival was from 5.45, and the film was projected on to the front of the clock tower itself at 9pm, with everyone sitting to watch it on the grass of the square in front of it.

Before that, there was the dance with Marvin Berry and the Starlighters in the school, a funfair, lots of houses / shops to explore and the cafe for food and drink. No phones allowed in (to avoid video clips being taken and spoil the surprises) but they sold disposable cameras at a reasonable price.

During the film, the actors play out certain scenes in the square, in time with the action on the big screen - won't spoil it, but it was just superb! So pleased I got to see it and hope that it does transfer across the pond for a lot of you guys to enjoy! For anyone in England, there are still some tickets left for the 2 extra shows they added for tomorrow and Wednesday, and I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Can't wait to get my photos back from being developed! Long time since I've had to do that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I know most of you are overseas, but anyone who can get to London this summer, SC are putting on a show again, this time around a little film called The Empire Strikes Back!

Back to the Future was awesome last year, so I have my ticket for ESB! Link to tickets is here:

http://www.secretcinema.org/tickets/

I know it's expensive, but for those that love their films it was a brilliant experience last year and hopefully it will be again!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.