Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

You don't need to see his origin story

4 replies to this topic

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,426 posts
***waves hand Obi Wan style***

After seeing Guardians of the Galaxy my wife was intrigued by Peter Quill's story. She thought it was touching and wanted to know more about him. I told her she'd be better off not knowing. But she looked and was disappointed like I said she would. She asked why they do that, and I put it simple to her. "Does that translate well to the big screen? You were touched weren't you? Leave it at that. Most people won't know any better and they'll be happy." She saw the point and asked were there any others that were vastly different from the movies. I told her Tony Stark was adopted and told me to stop Lol.
  • Ryn +1 this

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,537 posts
I don't think an entire film is needed to establish a character's origin. It's a waste of screen time. I think when the story reveals details in pieces as necessary creates a more interesting narrative.
  • The Human Torch +1 this

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,426 posts
Well a good amount of debate with these comic book movies stem from whether the studios are sticking to "the source material". Which of course most don't. Hell even The Watchmen changed the way the movie ended. What GOTG did well was to make Quill a sympathetic figure right off the bat even though he is a bit of an ass. Of course the studios have to make these movies for people like my wife more than for guys like us who know a lot of the back story. And I'm fine because who is to say that the studios version isn't better. I sure thought the Watchmen was better than the graphic novel.
  • Ryn +1 this

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,426 posts
THT edit
  • The Human Torch and Driver +1 this

The Human Torch

The Human Torch

zambingo

• Members
  • 34,069 posts
I also liked the changes to Watchmen and I liked the movie better than the comic. Unfortunately the same director didn't have the same success, for me, with his Superman.

I have no issue with Star-Lord's origin being vague or tweaked. Some characters are best that way. In that light, Wolverine getting a definitive past was a mistake IMO.

Some characters totally need that origin to at least be cemented, consistent, if not shown. eg. Batman, Superman, Spidey, the Punisher, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four.

Even with characters like the F4 you could tweak a bunch, it really comes down to what you tweak. If you make them born powered, well then you just lost a huge part of what they are.

However we don't need to see origins all the time, many characters work just fine without an origin shown or mentioned... whether they have a known one or not. eg. James Bond

Reply to this topic