Leatherface: New Prequel of Texas Chainsaw Massacre

D-Ray Kenobi

Fun Nightly news: Leatherface is now on Peacock!

Xfinity cable subscribers have just been given sneak-preview access to NBC/Universal's new streaming service, which doesn't officially launch for one-'n'-all till July. There isn't much there yet -- three kiddie cartoons, NBC shows that are already on Hulu, trailers for stuff they'll eventually have (the Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster revivals, Brave New World with Alden Ehrenreich) and some 478 movies. I went through all 478, which had far more "classic" films than Netflix and Hulu combined...and, as you'd expect for a startup streaming service, a couple hundred direct-to-video crapfests that make Redbox look like Criterion.

I marked seven of 'em for watching ASAP -- Do the Right Thing, Clockers, The Front Page, Broken Flowers, Hard Candy, and, at long last, Leatherface.

I just finished watching it, but I've also never seen any previous TCM flicks all the way through. I once caught 15 minutes of TCM2 some 25 years ago, but all I remember is how it bugged me that one character looked and sounded an awful lot like Mojo Nixon. Otherwise...well, now I know what it's like when someone tries to get into the Star Wars Saga by starting with Phantom Menace -- I had no context, barely knew what was about to be explained, recognized zero Easter eggs, and was severely grossed out more than once.

But hey, someone from Nightly made it! And Stephen Dorff was fun. I realized I'd seen Sam Strike in an episode of Timeless where he played Clyde Barrow. And I did laugh perhaps a bit harder than I should've at the final fate of Deputy Iron Fist.

Hopefully this earns you a few cents?

• 1 month later...

You say that like your version of Leatherface wasn't in the age group that's bringing the surge of cases. He wouldn't be caught dead making masks.

Sigh. Just more evidence that Hollywood revisionism is objectively terrible.

No, he catches other people, makes them dead, and then makes masks. Theres a very important workflow here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.