Leatherface: New Prequel of Texas Chainsaw Massacre

D-Ray Kenobi

From /Flim: Latest ‘Texas Chainsaw Massacre’ Franchise Reboot Will Get a New Prequel

The horror started in 1974 with Tobe Hooper’s The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. A few sequels later, that franchise faded, and in 2003 Platinum Dunes picked it up. They made two films, but the screams faded once more. In 2013 the franchise was resurrected one more time with Texas Chainsaw 3D. The film was a financial and critical disappointment, but producer Carl Mazzocone has the rights to make up to six films and he’s going to try another. A writer has just been hired to pen a Texas Chainsaw prequel called Leatherface.

The Wrap broke the news of the Texas Chainsaw prequel writer. It’s being written by Seth M. Sherwood, who has a few scripts in various stages of development including one at Blumhouse with director Greg Plotkin attached. (And, yes, there’s already been a film in the original series with basically the same title: 1990′s Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III.)

Holy crap, I have rarely been so happy and psyched for one of my friends in my life.

Financially successful, which is what studios care about-- yes, a lot of them. Fan/critically successful-- also yes, but nowhere near as often. Sequel vs prequel isn't really a consideration, so much as a creative entry point. A "franchise entry" is what it is on the accounting end, and even the bad ones do well (unless they go over budget).

This is why so many horror sequels suck. If you ask most people if they like horror films, they will say now because their mind jumps to Friday the 13th part 500, or Texas Chain Saw Massacre part 20. Some terrible movie they saw on late night cable when they were 15. Horror fans, made for low cost, almost always perform because of a built-in fan base.

So I could write a total by-the-numbers script and probably do fine. But they didn't want to do that this time, and I wouldn't have pitched on it if that was the case.

Great. Now if that happens you'll sue me and say I stole your idea. THANKS INTERNET

i will sign a waiver

i want to see a film about grandpa. for me he was the creepiest part of the original.

Was he in the first one where they put a hammer in his hand and help him try to bludgeon the girl?

yes, but the creepiest part is the little dance he does when they put the bloody finger in his mouth

I'm not a huge horror geek myself, so I haven't seen a lot of the originals, much less the prequels or sequels. But for me, the only things that come to mind are Aliens and Army of Darkness. Each took the existing story into a completely new spin with it's own voice. Which I know was probably your first thought anyways, so I know you got this.

Guest El Chalupacabra

THE WRITER IS A TOTAL HACK.

Chalup official continuity is now the one I'm doing, the original, then last years Texas Chainsaw 3D.

Oh damn, sorry man! I didn't realize it was you. I'll go see it. Congrats! Hope it does well!

yes, but the creepiest part is the little dance he does when they put the bloody finger in his mouth

Oh yeah! He definitely upped the creepy.

Thinking about that, some of the parts that weird me out the most are scenes like that (where it's some kind of "normalcy" for them) and the chance superficial injuries a character might sustain, like the dad hooking his hand on the nail in Hellraiser.

Not to distract from Seth's script, but any encounter with the grandpa would make me completely uncomfortable.

i'll be honest. i hate horror movies. i'm a complete vagina when it comes to them. between my dvd's, blu-rays and digital downloads, i bet i've got well over 500 movies and not a single one are horror.

but i'll certainly support your efforts seth when this movie comes out. and it'll be awesome to see your words, script and story come to life on the big screen. look forward to it.

honestly man, i'm not sure. back in the day, i watched the jason movies, hellraisers, nightmare on elm street, pumpkinhead and so on and so forth. watched a lot. then i just kind of fell out of them and just couldn't take the tension, heeby-jeebies, that kind of thing. i get anxious. way too anxious. i find them unnerving. the last horror movie i recall watching was paranormal activity and that was for the hype. i think part of it has to do with the fact that i've been so disinterested in horror for so long that i don't really seek it out anymore to watch, you know what i mean? But, i will say that i've come around a bit, considering last year i started watching the walking dead (some may not find it horror, but i do!!!) and am waiting for the next season to start back up in october. but still, i get pretty anxious when it comes to the heavy walker scenes and all the blood and guts.

any recent horror flicks in the last 5 years or so that are worth a look?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.