Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Doctor Strange

135 replies to this topic

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,592 posts

Liked it a lot! Thought Strange was a little too jokey for me, but it's MCU, that's just how they do it. And Dormammu definitely did not look how I pictured.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,877 posts

And how is a ego driven surgeon a threat to Hydra? Because at the time of The Winter Soldier, that's all he was. In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter one way or the other. It's something that's easily overlooked and forgotten.

My guess is simply because he was the best surgeon in the world. Top of his field globally, and influenced heavily by money. So potentially that could mean a lot of things when you have an enemy like Tony Stark. It's a flimsy explanation, but I'm guessing it's the one they'll go with "officially" if/when pressed. 

The Cloak of Levitation was probably my favorite part of this movie. (Aside from the incredibleness that is Benedict Cumberbatch in his entirety.) I definitely think it's a descendant of the Magic Carpet from Aladdin. They have the same attitude. 

Poe Dameron

Poe Dameron

• 2,485 posts

I think they dropped the ball on the timeline stuff (ironic). I'm sure some of the awards in his cabinet were dated 2016 yet the movie features Avenger Tower in the NY skyline.

Speaking of timeline, this goes quite a bit beyond Civil War, doesn't it?  Just before he crashed, he turned down Rhodey as a patient.  The bit about a colonel who crushed his lower spine in an experimental armor.  I took that to mean that the movie started pretty much at the same time as Civil War.

Well, after the crash, Strange went through seven different surgeries and all that rehab before even beginning his mystical studies.  All this had to take years didn't it?

I definitely think it's a descendant of the Magic Carpet from Aladdin.

That was exactly my thought.

Liked it a lot! Thought Strange was a little too jokey for me, but it's MCU, that's just how they do it. And Dormammu definitely did not look how I pictured.

It wouldn't be a Marvel movie if it wasn't good despite an underwhelming villain.

CoLA

CoLA

Zero Calories

• Members
  • 641 posts

I think they dropped the ball on the timeline stuff (ironic). I'm sure some of the awards in his cabinet were dated 2016 yet the movie features Avenger Tower in the NY skyline.

Speaking of timeline, this goes quite a bit beyond Civil War, doesn't it?  Just before he crashed, he turned down Rhodey as a patient.  The bit about a colonel who crushed his lower spine in an experimental armor.  I took that to mean that the movie started pretty much at the same time as Civil War.

According to the director, it's not meant to be Rhodey. He clarified this in a Reddit AMA last month. Maybe it was meant to be one of the soldiers shown injured in the IM 2 courtroom scenes? But I think that Avengers Tower is shown a couple times in Dr. Strange, I just don't remember if it is shown at the beginning or later on.

Poe Dameron

Poe Dameron

• 2,485 posts
According to the director, it's not meant to be Rhodey.

That's weirdly specific a reference to be coincidental.

Anyway, looking at the background and it seems that continuity just wasn't that big of a priority.  Apparently the whole movie is supposed to have taken place within the space of 2016.  The accident, healing from the accident, seven surgeries, healing from seven surgeries, seven failed rehab attempts, finding the Ancient One, and going from a complete skeptic to novice to the most powerful sorcerer on Earth in the space of about a year...

Yeah, they just didn't care.  Which is odd because it would have been fairly easy to spread it out over a few years and maintain continuity.

CoLA

CoLA

Zero Calories

• Members
  • 641 posts

I think it would have worked a lot better if they had it start earlier, too. Maybe 2008, around the time Stark became Iron Man? They could have even had a scene with a tv on in the background showing Tony announcing he was Iron Man. That way, they could have established he had been training for years and came back to New York recently. That would have made the name drop in Winter Soldier make a lot more sense.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,559 posts

According to the director, it's not meant to be Rhodey. He clarified this in a Reddit AMA last month. Maybe it was meant to be one of the soldiers shown injured in the IM 2 courtroom scenes? But I think that Avengers Tower is shown a couple times in Dr. Strange, I just don't remember if it is shown at the beginning or later on.
Except that they mention the Avengers. Who weren't around for IM2. Not to mention the post credit scene with Thor is defenitely post Ultron and Dark World.
Anything they tell you now is meant to get you go "whatever". Which is what it is. Whatever.

CoLA

CoLA

Zero Calories

• Members
  • 641 posts

That's what I'm saying, they show Avengers Tower during the movie, so it has to take place after the first Avengers movie. So I guess the experimental armor line is just a throwaway thing and not meant to tie into anything from the other movies. I guess the government would still be trying to build their own, anyways.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,559 posts
I just have a feeling the line wasn't a throw away and was intentional. It probably wasn't until after post that someone brought it up and they were like "****!"

R.CAllen

R.CAllen

walking

• 4,052 posts

Saw it yesterday! And still kind of mad (well, not really, but, yes, sort of) about it.

Spoiler

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,559 posts
Just realized there is no actual Ragnarok thread. Is it just me or did Ragnarok make Doctor Strange more appealing than the Doctor Strange movie?
  • Ms. Spam +1 this

Reply to this topic