Doctor Strange

The Human Torch

Benedict Cumberbatch is a great actor, but I wasn't sure he would be a good fit for Doctor Strange. Now that all the pictures of him in costume have leaked, all doubts are erased.

I love Doctor Strange, and like Krawlie, this is the movie I'm looking forwards to most.

I'll be that guy. I felt a little let down in that it was origin story trailer 101. I thought they weren't going to do an origin story for Strange. It's such a formula at this point I think it's a detriment.

I can only hope that since we've seen him in Supreme digs and the Sanctorum is featured that maybe this trailer is all act one stuff-- and they condense his origin into the first act then skip ahead a few years to him in his groove.

Fair enough-- that's legit. He is obscure enough that general audiences may need that. My one big complaint about Marvel movies is that they all have the exact same structure and set-up, and I'm getting bored with it.

But Daredevil is a great example-- I knew his basic origin, but I was never a reader of the comics. They jumped is in really well I thought.

I'll be that guy. I felt a little let down in that it was origin story trailer 101. I thought they weren't going to do an origin story for Strange. It's such a formula at this point I think it's a detriment.

I can only hope that since we've seen him in Supreme digs and the Sanctorum is featured that maybe this trailer is all act one stuff-- and they condense his origin into the first act then skip ahead a few years to him in his groove.

It's possible that they'll go with the Man of Steel/Deadpool structure where the origin is woven into the present situation narrative and shown a little at a time. That way we can also skip over what would be an incredibly long and arduous learning processes for the good doctor. I would be really annoyed if there was just a montage of him doing pushups and weird hand gestures and then he was suddenly awesome.

It's possible that they'll go with the Man of Steel/Deadpool structure where the origin is woven into the present situation narrative and shown a little at a time.

I rather consider both to be full-fledged origin stories.

Man of Steel just told the origin slightly out of order between Clark growing up in Smallville and his road trip to find himself. Both of which are origin tropes. Everything else in the movie is standard origin story.

Deadpool barely tried to intertwine anything. He told his entire origin story before that bridge scene ended. Basically it was one awesome action sequence in the present, 45 minute flashback of an origin story, then the rest of the movie. I actually hated that structure. Thought it was a bit lazy and was eager to get back to the the present day stuff because the flashback was the least enjoyable part of the movie.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well, I certainly know who Dr. Strange is, but I never read any Dr. Strange comic titles. The only thing I know about him is he is a wizard, and he was in the Infinity Gauntlet. So I really don't know a whole lot about the character. Maybe for avid comic readers, Strange's origins are well known, but I think the vast majority of people don't know where Strange comes from, like me. So, I see an origin story for Dr. Strange as something that is necessary, if Dr. Strange is going to play a large part in any upcoming GOTG or Avengers movies.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

No one? Huh...

Well, it was good. The basic "bad guy unleashing doomsday thing" is ho-hum, of course, but I think that's basically unavoidable at this point. The execution, the visual design, the imaginative trippy-ness,THE ACTING (big one) yeah... I kinda give this the same review I did for Star Trek Beyond: sure, it feels like "been there done that" structurally, but every other aspect is just so spot-on. Solid B I'd say, and in my top ten Marvel films so far.

I was thinking about the generally crap state of Marvel movie villains... Mads Mikkelson is otherwise great in this movie but in general they just never bother to develop the villain in any way shape or form. So, with what would have amounted to just one or two more scenes they could have easily fleshed out his character. I think that's one of the great things about Batman, in any media, is that the villains are integral to and woven into the story... not merely an obstacle for the hero. They just really don't wanna devote any screentime to their villains, because, frankly (outside of Loki) I think they're bored by them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.